5x5 strong lift

Options
2»

Replies

• wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to get discouraged. I think saying find a different program is easier said than done. I have no clue what I am looking for.
  • climberpilot
    climberpilot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the 5x5, and I haven't decided what I think of it, but the feedback I've seen of folks who have done it have been almost all very good.
    Yesterday I did deadlifts, and I did 5 sets of 5. Today I'm pretty sore... like..... really sore in my core. I would say do it as prescribed.

Oh, and according to the stronglifts website, the smith machine is unsuitable for this program.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am beginning to get discouraged. I think saying find a different program is easier said than done. I have no clue what I am looking for.

I think you might be able to do the Bill Phillips program at PF.
    It's 6 days a week with lower/upper body splits and cardio on non lifting days.
    Most of the exercises use machines or dumbbells (I did a quick glance).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't think you could do a proper deadlift (range of motion and starting position, on the smith machine). If you have no other choice maybe do roman deadlifts with dumbbells instead.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the 5x5, and I haven't decided what I think of it, but the feedback I've seen of folks who have done it have been almost all very good.
    Yesterday I did deadlifts, and I did 5 sets of 5. Today I'm pretty sore... like..... really sore in my core. I would say do it as prescribed.

Oh, and according to the stronglifts website, the smith machine is unsuitable for this program.

@climberpilot - With stronglifts your deadlift is only supposed to be 1 set of 5.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You are fine. Just try to use the free weights more until you find a program that fits with your goals. Keep reading the fitness forums to learn about others' experiences with programs. I started with a six-day bodyweight/dumbbell plan alternating the following:

A=squats, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and bridges
    B=lunges, planks, step-ups and pull-ups

4 sets of 8-15 reps (each side)

Then I finished StrongCurves with alternatives for the barbell. It also illustrates a bodyweight and dumbbell alternative.

Then I bought a cage, bench, Olympic barbell and weights and did SL5x5.

Now I am combining a bit of each.
  • climberpilot
    climberpilot Posts: 19 Member
    Options

@climberpilot - With stronglifts your deadlift is only supposed to be 1 set of 5.

Yeah, I read up on it a bit yesterday after I posted this. I seem to be trying to move a bit faster than I probably should.