Healthy eating... Meh...

Options
Good news, two weeks off pop and not planning on going back! Bad news, not much healthy stuff sounds good or tastes good to me... Working on eating 100% better now that I've conquered pop. Any suggestions?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    "healthy" doesn't mean bland and boring...get out the cook book and start cooking...use a variety of spices and flavors...cook with some good oils, etc.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Congrads on dropping the soda. Big healthy step for you. Fresh veggies for snacking, bell peppers, carrots, broccoli. Portion sizes with your other meals, keeping to your limits. You can make it happen.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    pasta with tangy sauce, nachos, chocolate cake, corn on the cob with butter - all of these can be part of a healthy diet in moderation. so can pizza, although you'd need to eat a lot less of it than most of us want to to hang with that moderation thing.

healthy doesn't mean no fat, no salt and no flavor.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies. Pick just about any veggie, toss with olive oil and salt and put it in the oven or on the grill.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Or just eat what you like and try to make healthier choices with the food groups you like and healthier portion sizes. If you like pizza, eat pizza with maybe mushrooms instead of sausage and go really easy on the cheese. Etc. Sub a sweet potato for fries. Eat lighter stir fry instead of general tso if that's your thing. Don't set up in your mind that "healthy = bad tasting"
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Mix it up a bit. Have some of what you consider "non-healthy" some days.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Healthy doesn't have to be boring.

My goal is 1800 (never ate under 1650 and lost 80 pounds). Yesterday I ate... pancakes (Kodiak power cakes) with cottage cheese and strawberries, some Greek yogurt and an apple, a chicken enchilada with homemade refried beans, a donut, 1.5 sweet Italian sausage with roasted cauliflower, and I still had a few calories leftover.

Tasty and not boring.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    "healthy" doesn't mean bland and boring...get out the cook book and start cooking...use a variety of spices and flavors...cook with some good oils, etc.

Seriously, I don't know why people associate healthy eating with "bland" eating. I fire up my grille every day and cook up delicious, healthy meals.

I doesn't have to be all kale shakes and chicken. Yesterday I grilled some goat meat. This past weekend, I made racks of ribs and grilled asparagus.

Plus, I just found an excellent recipe for frozen protein peanut butter cups that take five minutes to make and have very little fat and carbs and about 18g of protein per cup.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It sure could get boring depending on what you think healthy means.

Why not pick a starchy vegetable you have never tried before and find a recipe for it? Be sure the recipe includes garlic.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, healthy does not have to be boring. I enjoy food, and if "dieting" meant that I couldn't enjoy my food any longer, I don't think that I'd be able to stick with it. I find eating whole foods, cooked from scratch to be the most satisfying. I know exactly what is going into each meal, I utilize healthy fats and limit "packaged" foods. Spices and herbs are your friend. Different cooking methods from pan frying, baking, broiling, roasting, grilling, etc all help to give you some variety as well. Go to a Farmers Market and buy something you normally wouldn't. I often ask the farmer for cooking tips as well. That's how I learned that carrot greens are edible and now they are one of my favorites to make. Go out and buy some magazines or healthy eating cook books, there are a million and one great recipes out there.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is awesome for meal ideas!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Healthy stuff is rubbish. Avoid just about all of the suggestions which go in the recipes section here. Just have a burger, albeit a smaller one.
  • drwilseyjr
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Yeah. Healthy stuff is rubbish. Avoid just about all of the suggestions which go in the recipes section here. Just have a burger, albeit a smaller one.

Yeah, don't listen to this.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Pizza, chicken nuggets, you can make healthier versions of most foods. Healthy is only as bland as you make it
  • eldamiano
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »

Yeah!!!! You go and eat that appealing cabbage salad!!!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Pizza, chicken nuggets, you can make healthier versions of most foods. Healthy is only as bland as you make it

This - I eat out much less often because I can make the food I love healthier and tastier than any restaurant. You know what is going in. I use tons of different spices and herbs. I buy an all purpose salt free herb blend online by the pound because I use it so much. I am having chicken cordon bleu for dinner tonight. Yes with ham, Swiss cheese, and breading but baked not fried. I also found frozen grilled chicken nuggets that I like better than the breaded ones. Experiment and be adventurous.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything you can cook yourself is going to be a lot healthier than fast good and junk food. You can even make your own potato chips. It is really easy to make kale chips or sweat potato chips. You can make burritos or tacos. You could grill chicken. You could even make pulled bbq chicken in the crockpot. Just choose a bbq sauce that has the lowest sugar. Just make sure to eat veggies with your meals. For snacks you can have almonds, yogurt, cheese sticks, veggies and ranch, apples and peanut butter, fruit, fruit parfait. There are tons of options.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Because healthy eating = cabbage salad?

@eldamiano maybe you think that "healthy stuff is rubbish" but that is not the general consensus on this board, or even in this post for that matter. Sure, have a cheeseburger if you want it, or have that piece of cake, but that shouldn't be all you eat. And when you do eat "healthy" foods, they don't have to be boring or tasteless.
  • drwilseyjr
    Options

@eldamiano My diet is full of incredible tasting food that I cook daily. All types of meats, vegetables, and, yes, salads that are delicious. Eating healthy is only bland and boring if you make it.

You want to fill your body with trash, go ahead. Some people are actually here to get fit. Yes, you can eat donuts and pizza to hit your caloric goal. But hitting your caloric goal does not equal health.
  • eldamiano
    Options

@eldamiano My diet is full of incredible tasting food that I cook daily. All types of meats, vegetables, and, yes, salads that are delicious. Eating healthy is only bland and boring if you make it.

You want to fill your body with trash, go ahead. Some people are actually here to get fit. Yes, you can eat donuts and pizza to hit your caloric goal. But hitting your caloric goal does not equal health.

People dont get unhealthy by eating what you refer to as 'trash'. They get unhealthy by eating excessive amounts... of anything. Pizza, burgers, fried chicken... whatever.... they all have certain nutrients in them too.

If I want to say that cabbage is boring, I can. It doesnt make you a pariah because you enjoy it, nor does it make me unhealthy if I dont.