March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    For all of you who love trail running, running with your pups or just running - this is an awesome video!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05sUhlxFBk0
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    It's great that you want to learn as much as you can. I can certainly relate. Sorry if you answered this already, but what exactly are your goals right now? Is there a certain distance race you are looking at?

I want to run a half marathon. Currently, I'm actually signed up for one thats all the way in September. I'm also doing an 8k in July, but not planning on really competing in that one, since my brother is coming with and he's not a runner. Currently, my goals are kind of simplistic, increase mileage and not get injured. Other than that, running is stress relief for me, and I just like doing more of it.

Add a dedicated stretching sessions or cross-training 1x week to actually help with reducing risk of injury, possibly a strength session. Other than that, at this time, just increase mileage like you are doing. Looks good.
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Squeezed another couple miles out this morning - one day left in March!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Add a dedicated stretching sessions or cross-training 1x week to actually help with reducing risk of injury, possibly a strength session. Other than that, at this time, just increase mileage like you are doing. Looks good.
    Forgot the part where I do a 15-20 minute rear-kicking kettlebell routine 1-2 times a week to help with core strength...12kilo kettlebell....turkish get ups, swings, floor press, deadlift. The weight isn't much, but man does it kick my rear.
  • TriniDiva_PA
    TriniDiva_PA Posts: 53 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Nailed it!!! -- You guys rocked it this month. Thanks for such an encouraging challenge :-)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    It's great that you want to learn as much as you can. I can certainly relate. Sorry if you answered this already, but what exactly are your goals right now? Is there a certain distance race you are looking at?

I want to run a half marathon. Currently, I'm actually signed up for one thats all the way in September. I'm also doing an 8k in July, but not planning on really competing in that one, since my brother is coming with and he's not a runner. Currently, my goals are kind of simplistic, increase mileage and not get injured. Other than that, running is stress relief for me, and I just like doing more of it.

You definetly have enough time to build up to HM distance from now till Sept.
    Doing a one time or 2 time 7 mile long run won't benefit you. And regularly running a long run beyond the 35% will eventually cause some (at the very least minor) injuries. How many weeks would it take? I don't think I have an answer for that. But probabaly more than 2 or 3 weeks, but it's dependent on your current physical fitness, your biomechanics, the quality of shoes, running surface, and a slew of other factors.

Main things I would suggest is to structure your plan to stay within the limits and increase in smart ways so that you not only make 90 minutes your long run goal but the 13 or 14 miles your eventual goal. 13 mile LR would suggest a minimum of 39 miles in the entire week.

I heard you give out to "paces". 6 miles in 60 minutes (10 min/mi pace) and 6 miles in 72 minutes (12 min/mi pace). Can you tell me more about what running both of these 2 paces are like? How does each pace feel for the first 2 miles? How do each feel in the last 2 miles? And how good are you in keeping consistent splits?

Also realize that this is your current fitness and you should see these paces get much better in time. I am not sure how long you have been running consistently. But if you are rather new to running, you should see huge jumps in improvement with little effort (but very consistent dedication).

And by the way, to throw a wrench in the works, as the weather gets more hot and humid, these paces will get crappier. But rest assured, if you remain dedicated through the summer, you should see your fall paces skyrocket towards improvement. I actually look forward towards summer running now cause that is when I make my biggest improvement when fall hits. It just messes with your mind a bit when you are trying to track your paces over the summer because what pace that used to feel easy in March/April becomes real tough in July/August. But then when Sept/Oct hits, you feel like your body got possessed by some elite runner.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm still on a shoe quest. By 7am I decided I didn't want to look at my coworkers any longer than absolutely necessary today, and left just in time for the mail to deliver new shoes. We have some EPA audit and I'm getting rooked and railed in to sitting in on it somehow. I feel like a patsy. Next week may be long hours that cut in to my running time. So screw them all today. Hope its a s*it storm. @MNLittleFinn I run for stress relief too :wink:
    20160330_103335_zpsjijfhzre.jpg

Ya, I ate all those cookies. And by time you read this, they'll be none. May get some cookie miles in the new shoes. We'll see how the shin feels about it. And it's muddy....
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 10 min/mile is me going really fast, when I get there or faster, I'm really booking it, first 2 miles feel just fine, but by mile 6 I'm getting pretty darn tired. at 12 min/mile, I am totally refreshed, at the distances I've been going, I feel like I haven't really even worked out doing that average pace. Not sure how good my consistency on splits are. I have an average of 30 second extreme spread on my splits for my long runs. I have slowed down somewhat lately in my runs (intentionally) and use my Garmin to give me notifications when I get too fast or too slow with a 1 minute spread (11:30-12:30) to try to get my runs into a slower pace that isn't always pushing the envelope.

I'm "planning" to add another day of running each week and doing 1-2 daily doubles.....way down the line, so I can get my weekly mileage to the point that my long runs are in the right % of the week.

I know I'm getting ahead f myself with things....the hard part is throttling back to a reasonable training level.....beginner's enthusiasm I guess....will have to work on that.

I'm no stranger to heat effect on performance (unfortunately) so I'm already planning on slowing down more in the summer.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I LOVE those cookies! And the shoes :)
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @Elise4270 I can't help but chuckle at your picture with the Racing Weight book and the 2 frosted sugar cookies sitting on top of it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Elise4270 Those cookies are great, and, if I remember, you're looking at 180 cals per......
  • Becky71_cm
    Becky71_cm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I can't help but chuckle at your picture with the Racing Weight book and the 2 frosted sugar cookies sitting on top of it.

I chuckled too! Ha!

Cute shoes though @Elise4270 !
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 Those cookies are great, and, if I remember, you're looking at 180 cals per......

Ugh ya. 160 per cookie give or take 20% error. So about 8 slow miles. Which I may have in me since I'm perturbed about work.

Ya that was my reminder that I ate thoes in defiance.

@Becky71_cm there are actually 3. Ones hiding as a bonus supprise. Also at the time of the pic I had one in my mouth... Mmm cookie...

@greenolivetree I'm not a cookie eater- but those are number one in my book.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Do your cookies always match your shoes?
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - Do your cookies always match your shoes?

Not on the way out...unless it's muddy.

I have 3 pair hidden, all the same color. So if DH notices chances are he'll think they are the same shoe. Which I have a pair of Newton boco trail in 8.5 I can not do if anyone is interested. You can have'em for shipping.

Not that I'm hiding spending money on shoes. He'll just be on to me if he realizes I have squirrelled enough money for random shoe therapy to start asking questions. The innov8 were a find.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @Stoshew71 10 min/mile is me going really fast, when I get there or faster, I'm really booking it, first 2 miles feel just fine, but by mile 6 I'm getting pretty darn tired. at 12 min/mile, I am totally refreshed, at the distances I've been going, I feel like I haven't really even worked out doing that average pace. Not sure how good my consistency on splits are. I have an average of 30 second extreme spread on my splits for my long runs. I have slowed down somewhat lately in my runs (intentionally) and use my Garmin to give me notifications when I get too fast or too slow with a 1 minute spread (11:30-12:30) to try to get my runs into a slower pace that isn't always pushing the envelope.

I know I'm getting ahead f myself with things....the hard part is throttling back to a reasonable training level.....beginner's enthusiasm I guess....will have to work on that.

I'm no stranger to heat effect on performance (unfortunately) so I'm already planning on slowing down more in the summer.

10 min/mi would suggest that is your current "tempo" pace. So if you were to race in a 10K and started at that 10 min/mi pace... 2 questions 1) You think you can stick very consisent to that 10 min pace (within 5 seconds each split) and finish right in about an hour? 2) And if you attempted a 7th mile at that very same pace, would you fail miserably? if the answer is yes to all, then 10 min/mi is most definetly your "tempo" or "lactate threshold" pace. That would be valuable information to know.

There is a really handly calculator that Gregg McMillan has online (https://www.mcmillanrunning.com) that gives you great information. I plugged in 1:02:00 as a finish time for a 10 Km race (9:59 pace) and got some interesting results:

It suggests that you should be able to run a mile at max speed in 8:36, race a 5K in 29:51, a HM in 2:18:13, and a Mar in 4;50:53. Now offcourse these are all guesses, but reflects an average fitness level for many folks that can run a similar 10K as you.

More importantly it shows a vLT as 9:58 pace (your velocity for lactate threshold) and vVO2 of 8:33 pace (how fast you would have to run to get to your VO2 max).

Click on Training paces and it then says:
    Long runs should be between 10:55-12:05 pace (60-85% HRMax).
    Recovery Runs (11:49-12:40 or 60-70% HRMax)
    Easy Runs (10:52-11:39)
    Steady State tempo runs (10:07-10:35 or 83-87%)
    Tempo LT runs (9:47-10:05)
    Tempo Cruise Intervals (9:39-9:58).

Then he has suggestions for speed track workouts which you would not be ready for at this point.

So most of your runs during the week should be in the Easy pace range (10:52-11:39). That would be your 4 mile and 5 mile runs. Your Saturday long run should be in the (10:55-12:05 range). And on those days where you feel like you need a recovery run (like if you wanted to throw in an extra run the day after your long run and your legs still feel a bit tired) then you run between 11:49-12:40 range.

Your three tempo runs I would suggest to you once you reach your goal mileage. But in the mean time those paces are nice to know cause you can throw in some strides or surges in one or 2 of your regular smaller runs. So if you are doing a 4 miler, after about a mile or mile and half warm-up at your regular easy pace (10:52-11:39) throw in a surge of maybe 20 or 30 seconds at 5K pace (9:37) then slow it back down to your regular pace again for like 2 more minutes. Then throw in another 20-30 second surge at 5K pace. Maybe start at 4 surges and make it a goal to run 6 or 8 surges. Some people also call these strides (although technically strides are a bit different). After your surges are done, finish your 4 mile (or 5 mile) run at your regular easy pace.
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    11/3: 3.2 Miles
    13/3: 5.0 Miles
    14/3: 3.7 Miles
    16/3: 3.2 Miles
    18/3: 4.0 Miles
    20/3: 6.2 Miles
    21/3: 3.2 Miles
    23/3: 4.4 Miles
    26/3: 5.0 Miles
    27/3: 5.0 Miles
    30/3: 5.6 Miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Matt Fitzgerald, you are not the boss of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhtXkIBTVRg
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I just copied and pasted your post into a word doc to print out, that's a ton of good info! going to checkout the mcmillan running site. As another reference, and those estimated seem good. My PR 5k is 27:50 Garmin time, not in a race, and I was really hauling butt doing it, I generally use the 10k PR pace for calculating, it's slower than the mcmillan estimate for the distance, but I was taking it easier.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Matt Fitzgerald, you are not the boss of me.

Right on.

I'm loving the discussion with @MNLittleFinn and learning something. Thanks to both of you!