Would you take a vacation without your S.O.?

Options

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've extended work trips over a weekend to do some sightseeing in cool cities - it was fine, but it would have been a lot more fun with my husband. We're each other's BFF and we love to travel together; I can't think of any place where either of us would want to go without the other. I even shlepped along to one of his 4-day hobby workshops and entertained myself in the area so we could hang out together in the evenings. He's also come on several of my family duty trips where I know he spent just as much time pretending to have fun as I did ;)

It did take us a few trips to learn how to balance our different vacation styles. I like to go, go, go almost from the minute I arrive somewhere new, and I bounce out of bed in the morning looking for coffee. He absolutely NEEDS to crash for at least 2 hours after travel and would prefer that I brought the coffee back to him ;) I have taken many an exploratory wander on my own while he napped for part of the afternoon. It's all good.

On the rare occasions when we do travel separately, neither of us feels the need to set a budget. We just use a standard of reasonableness. Neither of us are profligate spenders, so it would be really strange if either of us spontaneously spent more than we could afford on anything.

If your spouse *does* tend to be irresponsible with money, though, I think it's a great idea to set a budget in advance. A per diem might be a good way to do it - figure out how much average meals and lodging might reasonably cost every day and add some fun money, and then if s/he decides to skip lunch every day and spend that money on an extra snorkeling trip or at a blackjack table instead, that's up to him/her.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    That's why it's considered a vacation B) and that's probably why I'm single.

So THIS!! ^^^^

Jersey girl smarts!! B)

Who's from Jersey? I'm from Jersey

@darlswife - Bergen County born & bred!!!

• TuesdayMarch01st2016
    TuesdayMarch01st2016 Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    That's why it's considered a vacation B) and that's probably why I'm single.

So THIS!! ^^^^

Jersey girl smarts!! B)

Who's from Jersey? I'm from Jersey

@darlswife - Bergen County born & bred!!!

Camden County, NJ here; not Camden City (I always have to mention that because it's like they didn't read or hear me say County, after I said Camden; since they ask: Camden City? It drives me crazy).
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I prefer to take vacations with Mr. Pineapple as we like the same type of vacation/activities. We've taken some separately. I've gone to AZ to visit my sister and he went on an amusement park trip with his brother (I don't like coasters) and a lake/cabin trip in TN. I might be taking a trip with my girlfriends this summer and/or taking a long weekend to visit my other sister.

As far as budget, we each have our own separate accounts and a joint account we both add to. So whatever we spend on our respective vacations comes out of our respective accounts, not the joint. Neither of us are big spenders, so it's not really an issue.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    We used to take 5 day vacations alone with friends, then a vacation together. Now that we have little kids, we take a 5 day vacation together and try to do nice kid friendly vacations with the littles. I sometimes go to see my friend in FL, he may go to see his nephew in Miami in a few weeks... but those are much more low key then we used to do.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    When I take vacations without my wife (fishing / camping), then it is my budget. When we are together then its our budget, I cannot really remember when she last took a vacation for just her and friends. She usually goes to her Mother's or our daughter's, but it is always to help, then its ours. Time can be anything from a couple of days to a month. Budget depends on what type of trip it is.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »
    My husband goes away to a board game convention once a year. He keeps trying to put together a guys trip to Vegas. Budget is whatever he feels reasonable to spend
    I want a guys trip to vegas......my boys are wack and complain about money......hotels are nothing there.

he needs some boys to go with his keep bailing...want me to hook you up? He only stays at nice places cause he once stayed at Circus Circus and will never again.

well I like nice. and I don't gamble. I want to go for the entertainment that I wont remember.

you can do the entertainment he can gamble.
    man I want to go to Vegas too. :(
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Just got back from Vegas. Don't bother. It's not cheap anymore and it's gotten even weirder (if that's possible). S.O. went with me, and another couple.

We have done separate vacations in the past. Duration a couple of days, budget hasn't really been discussed. Now that we have a small child, we haven't done any solo vacations.
  • synchkat
    Options
    Just got back from Vegas. Don't bother. It's not cheap anymore and it's gotten even weirder (if that's possible). S.O. went with me, and another couple.

We have done separate vacations in the past. Duration a couple of days, budget hasn't really been discussed. Now that we have a small child, we haven't done any solo vacations.

thats the problem u went with a SO and another couple ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

should only be all dudes or females....

and I'm weird so, it would be my world to devour.

What my cerise wearing friend here said!

It's also Vegas it's not meant to be cheap!!! And really any trip can be done on the cheap but why would you...it's Vegas!!!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

thats the problem u went with a SO and another couple ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

should only be all dudes or females....

and I'm weird so, it would be my world to devour.

What my cerise wearing friend here said!

It's also Vegas it's not meant to be cheap!!! And really any trip can be done on the cheap but why would you...it's Vegas!!!

It used to be a cheap place for us Westcoast Canadians to go. I remember when we went back in 2008 and with airfare and hotel, it cost us $300 for a couple. We took limos everywhere and went to all the best clubs and it was still an inexpensive vacation. This time around it was much more expensive. Combination of the crummy Canadian dollar, and increase of costs of everything.

It just seemed a lot more shady this time. I didn't enjoy it at all. Well except for the cabana boy at Caesars ;)
  • GymnasticsMommy
    GymnasticsMommy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have.. and I want to do it again! I went to vegas with friends.. it was AWESOME!
  • synchkat
    Options
    holy crap $300!!! Did you fly the plane yourself?

And @138shades what's your beef with Canadians? We are lovely people
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I go away with my parents without my husband because I have long holidays and he doesn't. I'm thinking of trying my first holiday with just me and my sons this summer. Some year I'll probably take them to Japan for a month of the summer, without their (Japanese-born) daddy who doesn't like the heat!
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I go on a motorcycle trip without my S / O every summer.
  • Countryboy_83
    Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    We have no desire to be apart. Been 3 years and still feel lost without her
  • NYRhockey00
    NYRhockey00 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, because my wife is a terrible golfer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Have you ever taken a vacation without your significant other, or have you been left at home while they go away? If so, what sort of parameters do you set as far as budget and duration?

Only once unless you include girls "night" weekends away. We don't really set a budget for that stuff...she knows what our means are and we also discuss how much hotel, etc is going to cost to be sure it's all good...but we don't really establish a budget.

The only time she's actually been gone longer than a couple of nights is a couple of years ago she took the boys to Connecticut to visit her sister for a week. I was stuck with projects at work and couldn't get away, otherwise I would have gone.

I go on camping/fishing trips with the guys a couple times per year...no budget, but it's pretty cheap since we're camping...basically food, beer, and cigars.
  • MrsMoviestar
    MrsMoviestar Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My husband goes on fishing trips without me and I really don't mind. I hate fishing and I like the me time I get. I use the opportunity to do things he doesn't like to do such as hiking, shopping and going to the spa so its a win win situation!
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    We have no desire to be apart. Been 3 years and still feel lost without her
    <3
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I've never done it. But I don't see why not. I'd likely miss my husband though. I like doing things with him. It's the kids that we both want time away from. :D