Nine days in - no weight loss!

Options
2»

Replies

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Remember there is no quick fix, it takes time but will teach you to be healthy, something that you can keep working on indefinitely.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Be patient.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Stay patient. We didn't gain overnight so we won't loose overnight.

Make sure you are weighing your foods and measuring accordingly instead of eyeballing them.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Op, give it more time. Also, this:
    cathipa wrote: »
    If you are not weighing your food you could be consuming more calories than you think. cups and spoons are frequently wrong so if you don't have a food scale I recommend getting one. Also make sure you are logging your entries correctly. Avoid generic or homemade (unless it is your exact recipe). Make sure you are drinking at least 8 cups of water daily.

Hot yoga will lead to water weight loss, but you will regain this soon after so I wouldn't count it. Exercise that gets your heart rate elevated for a sustained period of time should be counted as cardio. If you aren't doing some resistance exercise (i.e. weights) I would recommend adding this in as well.

9 days is too soon. Keep making adjustments and you will get to your goal!
    Weigh all your solid and semi solid foods with a digital food scale in grams, choose accurate database entries (confirm these with your foods packaging information) as some database entries are way off, and eat back only 50ish% of your exercise calories (mfp overestimates calorie bur from exercise). Use cup measurements for liquids only. No estimates. Weigh fruit and vegetables. For fruits with peel, weigh without or subtract the weight of the peel after. Weigh pasta, rice, etc dry. Weigh meats raw. Weigh all pre-packaged and pre-portioned foods (these weights on the packages are merely estimates), weigh eggs. Weigh everything. If you're adding recipes to the database, weigh all the ingredients, then weigh the finished product. Divide the weight by the amount of servings and weigh out the servings.

Instead of weighing yourself, use a tape measure. Scale weight does not matter.

And, give it much more time.
    Are you working out a lot? How much water are you drinking?

I have been working out faithfully for almost 4 weeks now. I have seen absolutely no weight loss, in fact, I've seen gain at this point. However, I'm not worried because I am pretty sure the reason is because:

1. I didn't start counting calories until last week.
    2. I am lifting weights 4 times a week, as well as doing cardio daily and yoga daily.

I'm pretty sure that because I started out with no muscle at all that I won't see losses yet because right now my body is building muscle. I may be losing fat and building muscle at the same time. I'm not a trained professional, so don't take my word for it, but maybe look into it. This happens to me every time I start over and decide to build muscle at the same time as watching my calories. One time I started over and just watched what I ate closely and worked out maybe twice a week, and I saw loses right away, because I really wasn't trying in my workouts and wasn't building a whole bunch of muscle. You can do it that way if you want, but I remember being hungry every minute of it. Up to you.

Every time I decide to get back into working out and eating healthy, I noticed that the times I relied on the scale for my happiness, I gave up within a week because I didn't see losses immediately. My advice is to keep doing what you are doing (make sure you calculated your Base met rate and are consuming the right amount of calories), but I would hide the scale for the first month. Start a fitness challenge or yoga class. Do whats fun for you and count your calories. Do it for you and your well being first and foremost. Then after a month or maybe two, bring the scale back out. Also, if you have a tape measure, that really gives you a better idea of your progress than the scale. The scale doesn't give you the full picture.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. :)
    Unfortunately, no. Muscle takes much much longer than 4 weeks to build. It is most likely fluid retention in the muscles for repair.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Wow - this feedback is wonderful - thank you all so much! My recent weigh-in shows me at a 2 pound loss so I guess things are starting! And you are all so correct when you say "give it time". I'm a little (a lot?) impatient and I like to see results immediately. One day at a time is an important mind-set to adopt. As well, I plan to eat all of my calories by the end of the day to avoid the starvation mode debacle. It's a bit of a challenge given that I want to keep my sugars low so I need to WANT to eat foods that I don't really WANT to eat. Does that make sense? Have a great y'all and thanks again!

I know exactly what you mean. When I saw my pre-logged day was lacking in calories I had to think of something that not only fit into my calories but I also wanted it to be from the macro I have the hardest time hitting: protein. So I try to have many protein options. Cheese and eggs are kinda my life savers when I see I need to add 200-300 calories to a day that's also short on protein. Just yesterday I saw that my protein goal was going to not only be low, but below 100g for the day I knew I needed to get something with protein. The store didn't have individual hard boiled eggs so I grabbed 2 cheese sticks, 160 Cals and I think 14g protein.

So maybe make a list of a few options you can keep on hand. Cheese really can get me through the toughest days haha.