March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Achieved my goal! I didn't think I would this month having missed so many mid-week runs for being ill, and I shouldn't really have done a 5-6 miller today because of my half marathon on Sunday, but I wanted to make goal so went on a run/walk that was so slow, when my watch exported it to MFP, MFP registered it as 'walking' not running! But hey, it was a gorgeous day, I ran about half of it (just over 2.5miles) and enjoyed myself exploring some new country lanes I hadn't been down before :)

Well done to everyone else that's made goal this month!

1st March - 3.03 miles
    3rd March - 4.03 miles
    6th March - 9.13 miles
    8th March - 3.30 miles
    12th March - 10.28 miles
    17th March - 3.77 miles
    19th March - 6.22 10km race PR!
    21st March - 3.06 miles
    25th March - 4.06 miles
    26th March - 4.15 miles
    27th March - 6.02 miles
    29th March - 3.05 miles
    31st March - 5.85 miles half run & half walk.

MTD - 65.95/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 great job making and exceeding your goal!
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Sorry, I had a busy morning. I am about to create the April thread now and will post it shortly in here. Congratulations guys, we made it through March. Great job everyone.

Hey, it's still March until 11:59, I still have a few km to add to my log :smile:
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Oh! And guess who signed up for another Disney half? I'm doing the Wine and Dine in November!

Now, need to get that surgery scheduled and out of the way so I can get down to some good training. One thing about training for the half in February was that I did way too much of it on the treadmill, I think. With this one in November, I'm hoping to do the majority of my runs, and especially my long runs, outside.

So awesome! I heard it's in the morning this year, and I was actually talking to a girl at the running store yesterday and she told me that was a deal breaker for her because the party is on Sunday night? I really don't know anything about Wine and Dine, but I'm sure it'll be a blast! Good luck, and have fun!! :smiley:

Yes, I guess they usually have it at night and then the party the next day? I don't mind partying on Sunday after running in the morning. I'll just go back to the room and sleep during the afternoon like a proper sloth, and be ready to rumble come evening! After the Princess half, I went "home", showered until the hot water didn't function right, and stretched like crazy...and then went out and walked for 8 hours. No big.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    10k @ threshold pace (47:50) (7:43/mi)
    March total: 109.8/150mi
    Longest run:20.0mi
    See y'all in April!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Can I brag a little that (at least on Thursday afternoon, based on weekly mileage) I'm beating BOTH @WhatMeRunning and @kristinegift on GC. That's my esteem boost for the week! :wink:
    I saw that too when I went out to see my planned mileage for April. Way to crank out those miles!:smile: Now you have to try and top @Stoshew71!

Now that you mention it...I currently have more miles this week that @kristinegift too! Woo-Hoo! I never thought THAT would happen!!! Happy dance!!!
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    3/2 - 3 mile walk
    3/3 - 2.25 mile run
    3/6 - 2 mile run
    3/7 - 3 mile brisk walk
    3/8 - 2 mile run, 1 mile walk
    3/9 - too much lightning
    3/10 - 2 mile run, 1.25 mile walk
    3/12 - 2.5 mile run, 2 mile walk
    3/14 - strength training
    3/15 - Ow...DOMS... 1 mile run/1.5 walk
    3/17 - Planned run day but my legs were still way too sore
    3/19 - 2.5 mile run, 1.25 mile walk
    3/22 - 2.5 mile run, 1.25 mile walk
    3/25 - 3 mile run
    3/26 - 3.4 mile hike/trail run preview of May's 5K
    3/27 - 2.6 mile run
    3/29 - 2.8 run, .9 walk
    3/30 - 2 mile walk

So far - 47.7/50. 2.3 miles left for today. I'd say that would be a fine run, but it's supposed to be 87 here today (hottest it's been so far) and I don't do well in the heat. I think the rest of my miles might get done as a walk today so I can enjoy running in tomorrow's (predicted) cooler temps. I'm just not ready to start sweating that much!!!

exercise.png

Goal/Planned Races:
    04/16 - something...
    5/7/16 - Wildflower 5K trail run (registered)
    7/4/16 or thereabouts - a 5K in Alaska because I can :)
    12/3/16 SA Rock N Roll - 5K/10K

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Can I brag a little that (at least on Thursday afternoon, based on weekly mileage) I'm beating BOTH @WhatMeRunning and @kristinegift on GC. That's my esteem boost for the week! :wink:
    I saw that too when I went out to see my planned mileage for April. Way to crank out those miles!:smile: Now you have to try and top @Stoshew71!

Now that you mention it...I currently have more miles this week that @kristinegift too! Woo-Hoo! I never thought THAT would happen!!! Happy dance!!!

Haha @9voice9 and @WhatMeRunning I'm glad I can be a benchmark for you :p I'm on a cutback for my race this weekend, so you may beat me for miles overall this week! I've only got 40 on the schedule including my race! (And my legs are very happy about it!)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yeah, right. Even on his taper week, I'll not be able to top the mighty @Stoshew71 !

Much love, dude!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    So my plan (and we all remember what ole Bobby Burns had to say about "best laid plans", right?) is to prep for Saturday's 10.5K and 5K races by limiting myself to walking tomorrow to get my 10,000+ steps, so the legs will be relatively fresh for Saturday.

Is that a good plan? or should I g'head and run a few miles, just for grins?
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh! And guess who signed up for another Disney half? I'm doing the Wine and Dine in November!

Now, need to get that surgery scheduled and out of the way so I can get down to some good training. One thing about training for the half in February was that I did way too much of it on the treadmill, I think. With this one in November, I'm hoping to do the majority of my runs, and especially my long runs, outside.

So awesome! I heard it's in the morning this year, and I was actually talking to a girl at the running store yesterday and she told me that was a deal breaker for her because the party is on Sunday night? I really don't know anything about Wine and Dine, but I'm sure it'll be a blast! Good luck, and have fun!! :smiley:

Yes, I guess they usually have it at night and then the party the next day? I don't mind partying on Sunday after running in the morning. I'll just go back to the room and sleep during the afternoon like a proper sloth, and be ready to rumble come evening! After the Princess half, I went "home", showered until the hot water didn't function right, and stretched like crazy...and then went out and walked for 8 hours. No big.

I hear you. I went back to the room, had a quick shower looked at my mangled feet from my stupid shoes, bandaged my massive blister, then headed to the resort pool for half a Mickey waffle from the pool bar thing followed by an hour-long soak in the hot tub with over a dozen other half finishers. In theory, it was a great idea, but in practice, the hot tub was only luke warm, and it wasn't nearly as relaxing as I had hoped it would be. It was nice to sit and chat with other runners for a while, though. We then went back to the room, had a proper shower, and spent the rest of the day in Epcot riding some rides, drinking beer, and eating our way through the World Showcase. We finished dinner at France in the middle of the fireworks thing, and left as the park was closing. It was a LOOONNNGG day, but totally, 100% worth it!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    So my plan (and we all remember what ole Bobby Burns had to say about "best laid plans", right?) is to prep for Saturday's 10.5K and 5K races by limiting myself to walking tomorrow to get my 10,000+ steps, so the legs will be relatively fresh for Saturday.

Is that a good plan? or should I g'head and run a few miles, just for grins?
    If it was me, I'd do a 3-5mi trail run. Pace:easy, just cruise. Good luck on the race!

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Wrapped up my final 12.5 miles mid-day today as I know my impending half ironman will have a mid-day Florida run, and I figured I could use some high heat/humidity training in today's 83 degrees w. 70% humidity. Took it at about 1.5 minutes below my easy pace, and ended up making 2 convenience store breaks for some cold beverages mid-route as I was definitely feeling the sun.

Definitely looking forward to a (running) rest day tomorrow, and I'll just walk to my open water swim practice at 6PM.

3/1 - 3.5 miles
    3/2 - 10 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 3 miles
    3/6 - 11 miles
    3/7 - 18 miles
    3/8 - 7.5 miles
    3/10 - 13 miles
    3/12 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 6 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - 1 mile
    3/19 - 10 miles
    3/21 - 20 miles
    3/23 - 11 miles
    3/25 - 5.5 miles
    3/27 - 9 miles
    3/28 - 20 miles
    3/29 - 9 miles
    3/30 - 15 miles
    3/31 - 12.5 miles

Total: 200 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Done!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'll have to catch up on everyones posts tomorrow - I have a date with a hot bath and a glass of chilled white wine not, but I first want to write about my first virtual race. It was absolutely awesome!
    It was the Zombies Run spring race, so it came with a special dedicated "story mission" in the ZR app (=voice clips telling you a story in which you are one of the main characters, that advances with the distance you run). And a lot more than that, actually - there were two training missions before leading up to the main story, and emails with extra content, like introducing the other "team members" you run with in the story, a phone number you could actually call in real life, and of course a race packet. The bling was better than any I've gotten in a real race yet!
    jx2p4hh858mq.jpg

A tech shirt (with a zipper pocket that fits my apartment key), a badge/button, a certificate where you can enter your time, and the medal, but all done in the theme of the mission - there was a card with an "eyes only briefing", and even the plastic wrapper the shirt was in had a biohazard logo and the text "special threat response uniform" on it :-D

It did feel a little weird to clip on the race bib and head out for a race competely on my own. Since I didn't want to ruin the atmosphere by running somewhere with cars, live people and the like, I ran out towards some dark fields before starting the race mission. I might have been able to run a faster time on a flat course, or somewhere where my flashlight was not the only light source around, but it was definetely more fun this way. And I ended up with a 5k PR anyway! 28:35min, with is 31 seconds faster than my previous PR of 29:04 min in my last 5k race last July.

• ROBOTFOOD
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ That shirt is pretty cool! And congrats on the 5k PR!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ That shirt is so cool! That's some awesome swag for a virtual race! And I would also feel a bit silly wearing a race bib in public without tons of others wearing them around me ;) But good for you for doing it and YAY FOR A PR! :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm ending on a high. Great run today. Had no problem following my walk run prompts. Found my self lost in thought when my watch beeped for a walk. I think I found my shoe. I'll give it 50 miles and reevaluate, then buy more!

Overall, I had a stellar month. I couldn't have done it without you all. Thank you.

1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03
    7--- work late, DOMS, rain
    8---work late, headache, rain
    9---6.61cramps
    10---5.05 cramps
    11---5.41
    12---7.33
    13---worked, slept
    14---2.3 walk, biked 9
    15---7.23 easy
    16,17---eat days
    18---travel/crazy day
    19---5k turned out to be 2.85miles, about 0.5k short. So no PR. 
    20---13.4 RNR half 2:20:47
    21---5.01 recovery run/walk
    22---DOMs
    23---3.16
    24---druged
    25---5.28
    26---5.74 fast group run
    27---3.3 park walk
    28---7.00
    29---5.00
    30---3.61
    31---7.06 cookie-pizza-chips miles :flushed: April will be better.

125.79miles/150

Upcoming races:

04/24/16 OKC Memorial Half
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  489.78/ 2016
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Well, my last run of the months was ... interesting.

8km planned - trying new shoes that I had purchased for the dreadmill but I wanted to try out on the road first.
    Hmm, hot spots in the back of my heels at 2km which cleared up mostly but I think I'm going to have to see if I can trade them in for a larger half size.

And then at 7km .... bam.... my intestines decided that this was the end of the world. Not good. Had to walk the last 500m.

Looking forward to April!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'll have to catch up on everyones posts tomorrow - I have a date with a hot bath and a glass of chilled white wine not, but I first want to write about my first virtual race. It was absolutely awesome!
    It was the Zombies Run spring race, so it came with a special dedicated "story mission" in the ZR app (=voice clips telling you a story in which you are one of the main characters, that advances with the distance you run). And a lot more than that, actually - there were two training missions before leading up to the main story, and emails with extra content, like introducing the other "team members" you run with in the story, a phone number you could actually call in real life, and of course a race packet. The bling was better than any I've gotten in a real race yet!
    jx2p4hh858mq.jpg

A tech shirt (with a zipper pocket that fits my apartment key), a badge/button, a certificate where you can enter your time, and the medal, but all done in the theme of the mission - there was a card with an "eyes only briefing", and even the plastic wrapper the shirt was in had a biohazard logo and the text "special threat response uniform" on it :-D

It did feel a little weird to clip on the race bib and head out for a race competely on my own. Since I didn't want to ruin the atmosphere by running somewhere with cars, live people and the like, I ran out towards some dark fields before starting the race mission. I might have been able to run a faster time on a flat course, or somewhere where my flashlight was not the only light source around, but it was definetely more fun this way. And I ended up with a 5k PR anyway! 28:35min, with is 31 seconds faster than my previous PR of 29:04 min in my last 5k race last July.

That is so cool, sounds like it was a lot of fun! Congrats on the PR!