Cardio vs weights

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ssteria01 wrote: »
    Lifting Heavy is for Big muscle gain..lifting lighter and more reps will tone you..depends on what each person is looking for..

That's #broscience

Lifting heavy has been shown time and time again to be the most effective way of developing muscle. Getting "toned" is the result of building muscle and losing fat. Light weight/high rep work (unless you are also mixing in heavy weight, low rep work) is only effective for those on juice.

Thank you for this! At least some people are knowledgable and arent just putting in their two cents cuz they wanna talk about something they know nothing about

No here knows anything about exercise physiology, we were just waiting for you to drop by and educate us. ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Lifting Heavy is for Big muscle gain..lifting lighter and more reps will tone you..depends on what each person is looking for..

That's #broscience

Lifting heavy has been shown time and time again to be the most effective way of developing muscle. Getting "toned" is the result of building muscle and losing fat. Light weight/high rep work (unless you are also mixing in heavy weight, low rep work) is only effective for those on juice.

Thank you for this! At least some people are knowledgable and arent just putting in their two cents cuz they wanna talk about something they know nothing about

"Something they know nothing about"? You have 14 posts. How about learning your audience before sending out a diatribe?

There are hundreds and hundreds of people on this app...so just because you don't relate to my post, doesn't mean someone else didn't or that someone didn't learn something. My "audience" are fit people, people trying to lose weight, people trying to get stronger, people looking for motivation, along with other things. So don't say I need to learn my audience....it's not just about YOU, it's everyone out there, don't have tunnel vision.

Says the voice of women everywhere:
    Women tend to have this idea (my friends included) that ONLY cardio will get you strong and fit.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yup.
    I've pretty much been just lifting over the past year, little to no cardio.
    Interestingly, I ran a 5k last spring and struggled with it a bit even though I had been doing some cardio. Last week, I ran one with no problem at all and very little soreness the next day, even though I hadn't been running at all. So, lifting actually helped my running performance (I know a 5k is not much).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Bass have the sexiest of *kitten*. At least of all the fish.

Congratulations+you+win+the+internet+_1be57d972869644a5456051ed8404e12.jpg
  • ssteria01
    ssteria01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    janjunie wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with cardio, just like there is nothing wrong with women lifting heavy. Anything that gets someone active and off their *kitten* is a good thing. To each their own...seriously.

I never said there was anything wrong with cardio, (I do cardio myself) but doing only cardio is not the best method. You will plateau in your weight loss or strength progression; which ever your goal is. Mixing up the different types of exercise is the best for your body.

What if your goal is to run a marathon?

You should still do weight lifting to keep your legs strong. I understand that everyone has different goals. I guess I should have been more clear because my post was geared more towards the idea that woman have about cardio on a treadmill is the only and best way to get in shape. If you are training for a marathon, then yes obviously cardio should out weigh your weight lifting, BUT weight lifting should still be in your workout plan.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with cardio, just like there is nothing wrong with women lifting heavy. Anything that gets someone active and off their *kitten* is a good thing. To each their own...seriously.

I never said there was anything wrong with cardio, (I do cardio myself) but doing only cardio is not the best method. You will plateau in your weight loss or strength progression; which ever your goal is. Mixing up the different types of exercise is the best for your body.

I agree that strength training and cardio are both beneficial especially for your health BUT your post comes off as judgmental. Like the way you workout is superior to how others' CHOOSE to workout.
    ALOT of females think that Cardio is the way to go....that could NOT be more wrong. Why restrict your body to just cardio?

Maybe it is the way to go for some people, but really it's not your business just like it's not mine.

Ok, but if someone is in here thinking "why aren't my cardio workouts more effective for developing the body type I want," don't you think it would be helpful for them to see a post like this? If someone does cardio because they just love doing cardio, that's one thing. If they're doing it because they want to build muscle and become toned, that's unfortunate. We should be trying to help others learn, not be so set in what we do that if someone suggests something else we get defensive.

@WilsonFilson that response was for the OP.

No I don't think the OP is beneficial to a newbie looking to get "toned" and/or gain muscle, because this thread comes off as arrogant. I may agree with her style of working out, but the subject was brought about in such an off putting way. Even her responses telling people to chill does nothing for her case and makes it look like "I'm better than you" type thing. For newbies wanting to achieve an aesthetic goal, the stickies have the best information. This thread would never be made a sticky....
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not an either/or thing. Both are important.

This.
    I agree with lifting and doing strength training, but ALONG with cardio.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I agree that strength training and cardio are both beneficial especially for your health BUT your post comes off as judgmental. Like the way you workout is superior to how others' CHOOSE to workout.
    ALOT of females think that Cardio is the way to go....that could NOT be more wrong. Why restrict your body to just cardio?

Maybe it is the way to go for some people, but really it's not your business just like it's not mine.

Ok, but if someone is in here thinking "why aren't my cardio workouts more effective for developing the body type I want," don't you think it would be helpful for them to see a post like this? If someone does cardio because they just love doing cardio, that's one thing. If they're doing it because they want to build muscle and become toned, that's unfortunate. We should be trying to help others learn, not be so set in what we do that if someone suggests something else we get defensive.

@WilsonFilson that response was for the OP.

No I don't think the OP is beneficial to a newbie looking to get "toned" and/or gain muscle, because this thread comes off as arrogant. I may agree with her style of working out, but the subject was brought about in such an off putting way. Even her responses telling people to chill does nothing for her case and makes it look like "I'm better than you" type thing. For newbies wanting to achieve an aesthetic goal, the stickies have the best information. This thread would never be made a sticky....

Agreed.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

You should still do weight lifting to keep your legs strong. I understand that everyone has different goals. I guess I should have been more clear because my post was geared more towards the idea that woman have about cardio on a treadmill is the only and best way to get in shape. If you are training for a marathon, then yes obviously cardio should out weigh your weight lifting, BUT weight lifting should still be in your workout plan.

That's where knowing your audience would have been helpful. This is old news on MFP forums. Lift heavy has been a common recommendation for a very long time on here. Most woman on here already know the benefits and most do it. Some do not of course as they may not find it enjoyable but you would be hard pressed to find a single person on here recommend against it...
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm curious - for those ladies that do lift heavy in this thread, what rep range do you find the most effective? For me, and I know for a lot of guys, the focus is on the 4-6 or sometimes 6-8 rep range. I've heard a couple women comment that they find the 8-10 rep range the most effective and comfortable.

Interested in hearing your comments.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

That's where knowing your audience would have been helpful. This is old news on MFP forums. Lift heavy has been a common recommendation for a very long time on here. Most woman on here already know the benefits and most do it. Some do not of course as they may not find it enjoyable but you would be hard pressed to find a single person on here recommend against it...

Also, many people recommend progressive resistance training, of which lifting weights is only one way to achieve this...
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This post doesn't come off at all like you want to be helpful. It comes off like you are the shiz and are a way better worker outer than all the others. Also, I don't care at all what men want or think about me at any time but especially when I am at the gym.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    How about we recognized that there is more than one path to health and fitness? I love weightlifting. Love it, but I know plenty of fit people who don't. People can also get strong, for example, with body weight exercises. Enjoy your passion and let others enjoy theirs.

I don't disagree. I do however think (I could totally be wrong) that there are a lot of people that want to achieve a certain body type and they think they are doing the right thing to get there but are actually going in the wrong direction, or at least could be a lot more efficient at getting there. It's hard enough as it is to get fit when you know what you're doing, but if you don't, you could really be wasting time, energy, and $$$$.

A number of people here just want to lose weight and want to do that without exercise.

Others have fitness goals which may include strength, power, mobility or any combination of these. Some have body composition goals. The number of those that are newbies and have not heard the message "resistant train" for body composition on here? Well, it is rather small.

The message "you must lift heavy" and "lifting heavy must be weights" is so basic and arrogantly unbalanced to the goals and capacities of individuals that it is just a caricature of what get presented here by someone who a) doesn't know the place b) doesn't understand that goals and desires can vary and be quite individual. And it is very 90's bodybuilder to place that opposition between cardio and "lifting heavy". Why not both? Along with a lot of other stuff?

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Most of what I do it centered around being a mobile, healthy, active person 30 or 40 years from now. From that perspective, there's no replacement for lifting weights. Cardio is important for cardiovascular health (and I do that, too), but lifting -- along with eating well -- will vastly help you retain bone density and maintain healthy joints and ligaments.

Don't worry about the hate, OP.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Maybe. Plenty of very fast marathoners don't lift and the ones I know who are successful at it (placing in the competitive ranks) drop all lifting while training for them. Perhaps a little weight lifting would help some people, but unless you've run several or trained marathoners I wouldn't be giving advice on how to train for one.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Wut?

Not really, a runners legs are strong. A resistance program or a variety of other exercises might make sense to work on imbalances and power. But a "lift heavy" program for a marathoner is going to sabotage his or her work.

The idea that women that do cardio only spend time on a treadmill is both spacious and condescending.

My daughters run, rock climb, fence, skate, box and do gymnastics - some of that competitively. Strength training work may be a compliment to some of those activities but but weight training is not and, for their desire and goals, a main or important activity.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

That's #broscience

"Something they know nothing about"? You have 14 posts. How about learning your audience before sending out a diatribe?

There are hundreds and hundreds of people on this app...so just because you don't relate to my post, doesn't mean someone else didn't or that someone didn't learn something. My "audience" are fit people, people trying to lose weight, people trying to get stronger, people looking for motivation, along with other things. So don't say I need to learn my audience....it's not just about YOU, it's everyone out there, don't have tunnel vision.

Says the voice of women everywhere:
    Women tend to have this idea (my friends included) that ONLY cardio will get you strong and fit.

I have to tend to agree with this post.

This thread is a bit arrogant in it context and so are a lot of the posts. But this is what a pulic forum is designed to do.

OP choose this platform to discuss her thoughts on "women" in general women choosing weight lifting or not. So let it be what it is.

There are a million or two members on MFP so hopefully a newbie that wishes to learn something in this area will choose to read through the entire thread before making assumptions.

My take is do both if you can, if not pick your poison and just keep active.

Disclaimer: I am a woman in my mid 40's and I will tell the forum that I do both and that I also I train for 1/2 marathons several times a year. I have spent the last year and half getting the body I want and I did it by doing both..

• Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification...unfortunately the title of the thread suggests it's either/or and triggered irritation in those of us who believe in both...

...also kinda bored with claims that 'weights' burns more fat than 'cardio'...backed up with contrived studies to prove the point...
  • ssteria01
    ssteria01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Wut?

Not really, a runners legs are strong. A resistance program or a variety of other exercises might make sense to work on imbalances and power. But a "lift heavy" program for a marathoner is going to sabotage his or her work.

The idea that women that do cardio only spend time on a treadmill is both spacious and condescending.

My daughters run, rock climb, fence, skate, box and do gymnastics - some of that competitively. Strength training work may be a compliment to some of those activities but but weight training is not and, for their desire and goals, a main or important activity.

I NEVER said for a marathon runner to lift HEAVY....I did say to lift weights.

• tatersalad80
    tatersalad80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with ssteria01 on this. Weights truly are what transform your body, even just light resistance. Depending on your genetics, build, etc. you will build in different places and obviously no two people build the same. More importantly, weight training helps you become more effective in whatever cardio you choose.