Binge Eating Disorder

Options
I've not been diagnosed, but it's obvious that I have a serious issue with overeating, beyond the normal issues that a diet can solve.

I can't stop snacking or eating huge portions. I can eat healthy for like a day or so but end up just sinking into old habits. It's related to depression and I've been to the doctor but they've not helped, wont send me to get any particular help for this issue.

Any serious binge eaters who have tips for this? It's embarrassing to write this but I need advice from those who've actually EXPERIENCED this.

Replies

• Monsterdog1114
    Monsterdog1114 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You might want to join this group for Binge Eating.

And I feel your pain every day!. Best of Luck.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112095-binge-eating-disorder

• glow_worm_eyes
    glow_worm_eyes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Read the book "brain over binge." It's all about changing your mindset when it comes to binges. I can't say that I will never binge again, but I feel like I have more control now. Also, you really need to eliminate trigger foods. This will be different for everyone. I have eliminated sugar (except for some fruit) and gluten. This was a very slow progress that I've been working on since January. This past week I've fully given up gluten and sugar (but remember this took 3 months of working).

Also, ask yourself if counting calories triggers binges. If it does, try eating three square meals at the table with no snacking I between. This alone will probably provide a deficit (as long as you don't go crazy). There is also a book for this "the no S diet".

Hope I helped. My journey will not be yours, but along the way I hope you find what works for you. <3
  • nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You really need to focus on one day at a time. You will never be able to break the cycle if you're constantly fearing failure around the next bend. Celebrate the little successes. One day binge free, 2 days binge free, and so on. Try to replace your binge habit with a new positive habit, so that you're mind looks forward to it and you're more apt to do the alternative than binge. When I'm on the edge, I stop everything that I'm doing, make sure the kids are in a safe zone and I take a few minutes to myself. I have a tendency to be weakest at high anxiety times and when I'm sleep deprived (common). I have a friend who would binge when she felt lonely, so instead of bingeing, she would go get a manicure (a spendy habit, but healthier). It allowed her the social interaction she craved and she loved her nails, so it was an easy replacement for her.

Try to find what your triggers are and work to find alternative to your habit.

Also, a regular MD may not be able to help you. Try to find a psychotherapist that specializes in eating disorders. They will be far more helpful than a general practitioner.
  • gbread2u0169
    gbread2u0169 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This could have been me writing this post. I am actually crying as I read and write. I am 47 years old and I've battled my weight my entire life. I've talked to my doctor about binge eating disorder but his response is always, just watch what you eat, get more exercise and try to stick to 1200-1500 calories a day and it'll come off. I had done so well my first 6 weeks of my journey and now I've gained 5 pounds back! I'm sick of hating what I see in the mirror but there are days, or hours, or sometimes even just minutes, that I can't seem to control myself or how much I eat. Please feel free to add me as a friend, and we can face this journey together.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've had a problem with binge-eating since I was about 8-9 years old. I remember being a latchkey kid and coming home to raid the snack bin and would hide the evidence. Then I remember babysitting as a tween/teen and going to homes that had lots of little cakes and snacks and eating as many as I could without it being "too" obvious. As an adult in college I would buy large quantities of food and sit and eat it quickly, before my roommate could get home. As an adult I would resort to eating food in my car and throwing away evidence at work or hiding it in the trunk.

I still struggle. I think I'll always struggle with that urge. I just had a slip-up and I'm trying to recover from that. It's been a long road and I'm trying to replace the eating with healthier things: trying to get into photography, texting with friends, crafting, or going to the gym. Little by little I'm feeling like I have more control. Honestly I just have to avoid eating ALONE because that's when I binge and hide evidence. I have to eat with others because I know I won't binge in front of them.

You aren't alone. Binge-eating disorder is a very real thing. It's not just over-eating, it's so different and many can't understand that. It feels awful.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is not about willpower. It is not about personal strength. It is a powerful hormonal, biochemical, neurological drive. Our brains are hard-wired to get natural rewards from foods, especially certain kinds of food (like sweet). These natural rewards drive us to repeat behaviors that release dopamine. The problem is that for many people, modern, processed, and "hyperpalatable" foods send that reward system into overdrive (much greater dopamine release). Additionally, overtime, these overly sweet, processed foods actually blunt our reward response, so now the same food doesn't even taste as good... and we have to consume more and more to get the same neurological reward. It's a vicious cycle of addiction.

You have to cut yourself off from these hyperpalatable foods and allow your brain to heal, while at the same time nourishing your body with real food so that it is not deprived and driven to binge.

This book made a huge impression on me, and I think you may find it useful.

https://authoritynutrition.com/vicious-eating/
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I suffer from binge eating :( add me
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Work out. That's the only thing that has fixed my serious depression, and when I'm working out I'm MUCH more likely to eat healthier stuff (because for me there's little point in doing one without the other).

It's easier to stick to an eating plan when it's part of a whole healthy lifestyle, rather than just a thing unto itself.

Also, it's impossible to binge on crappy food when there's none available, so I don't keep any in the house (usually) and I don't eat anything at work that I have prepared and brought myself.

Good luck!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious. How does one start binge eating? Is she aware that she's getting foods?

When I first started this caloric restriction diet, I also faced with many instances that I considered as "moment of truth". Basically I was extremely tempted to eat. Alot. But I was never absent minded. I was fully aware of the two choices -- eat and continue down the bad, destructive path or ...NOT. Again, my awareness was with me and I chose not to continue to eat.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    In rare cases a vitamin deficiency can make depression worse. Consider a daily multivitamin?
    Vitamin D (well documented), b complex, magnesium, zinc, selenium, iron, folate, etc.
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have suffered binge eating disorder since childhood. In my case it started because my mum also has eating disorder history and over fed me and always gave puddings every day and sugary drinks etc. There was just always lots of food around. Then I got bullied badly in school and I used food as a comforter which lead to vicious cycle of then being bullied more and comfort eating more. Then I used food to give me temporary highs and to numb out the depression. It is a faulty coping mechanism like any addiction. For me I only get peace when just do not eat any trigger foods but everyone has to find what works best for them.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious. How does one start binge eating? Is she aware that she's getting foods?

When I first started this caloric restriction diet, I also faced with many instances that I considered as "moment of truth". Basically I was extremely tempted to eat. Alot. But I was never absent minded. I was fully aware of the two choices -- eat and continue down the bad, destructive path or ...NOT. Again, my awareness was with me and I chose not to continue to eat.
    Binge eating is not about willpower. It is not about personal strength. It is a powerful hormonal, biochemical, neurological drive. Our brains are hard-wired to get natural rewards from foods, especially certain kinds of food (like sweet). These natural rewards drive us to repeat behaviors that release dopamine. The problem is that for many people, modern, processed, and "hyperpalatable" foods send that reward system into overdrive (much greater dopamine release). Additionally, overtime, these overly sweet, processed foods actually blunt our reward response, so now the same food doesn't even taste as good... and we have to consume more and more to get the same neurological reward. It's a vicious cycle of addiction.

You have to cut yourself off from these hyperpalatable foods and allow your brain to heal, while at the same time nourishing your body with real food so that it is not deprived and driven to binge.

This book made a huge impression on me, and I think you may find it useful.

https://authoritynutrition.com/vicious-eating/

Your first sentence was correct. The rest of it had no relevance to Binge Eating Disorder (and much of is scientifically inaccurate).
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options

This is like asking "how does one start self-harming? I've been sad but haven't done it" or "how does one start turning locks 7 times in every room? I've felt unsafe in rooms before but I was aware enough not to do it". Or, on the alternate side, "How does one start starving themselves?"

BED is a psychological disorder like many other things that are hard to understand if you haven't experienced it. It's not about absentmindedly eating more than you intended to.
  • hamburgerthighs
    hamburgerthighs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible sweet tooth. I can't just eat one cookie. I have to eat THE cookies. Sounds silly, but sometimes I mentally talk smack to the food, like it's challenging me. I say things like, "Nice try donuts. Not today. You will not win. I hear you calling me, but I will not listen. I will not eat you!" in my head. I'm really competitive, so it helps me to treat it like a contest. Like the food is self aware and trying to beat me. Just don't do it out loud. People tend to stare... Some research/people say that completely abstaining from something, like sweets, leads to binge eating, but everyone is unique. I have found it works best for me to treat myself like an alcoholic, I can't even have one because I don't know when to stop. Also, I have noticed that the more nutritionally sound my eating habits, the fewer cravings I get. I try to eat whole foods, organic, kale instead of lettuce, stuff like that.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've not been diagnosed either, but I can eat HUGE meals if I let myself. I also don't seem to ever get the "fullness" trigger like a normal person, or at least not as quickly.

The only thing that has ever helped me is going very strict low carb. It's much, much more difficult to eat 1000 calories of protein and fat than a carby meal.

I can (and have) eaten entire frozen pizzas in a single sitting (~1500 calories). There is no way I could eat that much if it was just bacon and eggs and cheese.

It also helps with subsequent cravings because you no longer get blood sugar crashes. It's worth trying out, but beware that the first few days are rough.

It also really helps if you just stay away from any of the foods that you normally binge on. I make sure there is nothing even in the house that I might be tempted to eat.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible sweet tooth. I can't just eat one cookie. I have to eat THE cookies. Sounds silly, but sometimes I mentally talk smack to the food, like it's challenging me. I say things like, "Nice try donuts. Not today. You will not win. I hear you calling me, but I will not listen. I will not eat you!" in my head. I'm really competitive, so it helps me to treat it like a contest. Like the food is self aware and trying to beat me. Just don't do it out loud. People tend to stare... Some research/people say that completely abstaining from something, like sweets, leads to binge eating, but everyone is unique. I have found it works best for me to treat myself like an alcoholic, I can't even have one because I don't know when to stop. Also, I have noticed that the more nutritionally sound my eating habits, the fewer cravings I get. I try to eat whole foods, organic, kale instead of lettuce, stuff like that.
    cate320 wrote: »
    I've not been diagnosed either, but I can eat HUGE meals if I let myself. I also don't seem to ever get the "fullness" trigger like a normal person, or at least not as quickly.

The only thing that has ever helped me is going very strict low carb. It's much, much more difficult to eat 1000 calories of protein and fat than a carby meal.

I can (and have) eaten entire frozen pizzas in a single sitting (~1500 calories). There is no way I could eat that much if it was just bacon and eggs and cheese.

It also helps with subsequent cravings because you no longer get blood sugar crashes. It's worth trying out, but beware that the first few days are rough.

It also really helps if you just stay away from any of the foods that you normally binge on. I make sure there is nothing even in the house that I might be tempted to eat.

What you two have described are binges. That is not the same as Binge Eating Disorder.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

What you two have described are binges. That is not the same as Binge Eating Disorder.

I was giving an example, and how a diet change helped me. The other symptoms, and the fact that it happens all the time was implied.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    cate320 wrote: »

I'm very interested, but I feel this is a sensitive issue, and I'm not sure if I should join this discussion as I don't know where the line between the two is drawn and if experiences with one can be helpful for the other, if disorders should only be diagnosed and treated by and left to professionals, and if this forum is the right place for such a subject.
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    There are mfp support groups for binge eating disorder sufferers.
    go to groups tap at to of page and type "binge eating disorder" in to the groups search box. You will find them.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »

This is like asking "how does one start self-harming? I've been sad but haven't done it" or "how does one start turning locks 7 times in every room? I've felt unsafe in rooms before but I was aware enough not to do it". Or, on the alternate side, "How does one start starving themselves?"

BED is a psychological disorder like many other things that are hard to understand if you haven't experienced it. It's not about absentmindedly eating more than you intended to.

OK, thanks for your (sort of) explanation. It is indeed hard to understand for those of us who do not have BED.