Obsessed with my scale

Options
So I have an obsession with my scale so much to the point where yesterday I had my best friend take it from me.. So I want to know how often do you all weigh yourself? Anyone else scale obsessed?

Replies

• sourcandies
    sourcandies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Once a week.
    I don't own a scale, but when I visit family on the weekends I weigh myself there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    First thing every morning, and record the result. Have done for years, even when not trying to lose. These days I use a weight-trending app to record (Libra, for Android. Happy Scale & Trendweight are some others.). The plus: I understand my weight fluctuations really well now - what causes them, how long they last. They don't stress me at all.

However, if frequent weighings, and those fluctuations, cause anxiety or stress for you, a less frequent interval may be more sensible.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I weigh once a week and tape every other week.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "obsessed with my scale"? Like weigh yourself every hour?

I weigh every morning in the same pattern. It gives me good info of the last day's eating and activities. I need to learn what X calories look like, how my body respond to it.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Once a week, but sometimes I'll hop on just to see the differences in my weight after things like a treat meal of Indian food, etc. It's fun to see how my weight can explode up by 3 or 4 pounds in response to hormonal changes or high-sodium meals, etc.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only record my weight on Friday's.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, and if I don't have anything to drink before I leave for work or if I use the bathroom sometimes I'll weigh a second time (hey, those 20 calories I burned working around the house may tip me over!). Every once in a while I make the bad decision to also weigh myself in the middle of the day, and I've never once been pleased or displeased with the number because I know it doesn't matter so I really don't know why I do it.

So...a little obsessed?
  • mamakate2kh
    mamakate2kh Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I weigh every morning in the same pattern. It gives me good info of the last day's eating and activities. I need to learn what X calories look like, how my body respond to it.

Like every time I walk in my bathroom I would weigh myself or after I eat after I exercise Ya.. Its a problem
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Like every time I walk in my bathroom I would weigh myself or after I eat after I exercise Ya.. Its a problem

Obsession aside, I cannot imagine any good info you can get out of doing that.

I have obsession issues also, but my obsessions have to make sense and beneficial.

I suggest that you put your obsessive behavior to monitoring and tweaking your food intake. :) You can lose wt and get healthy at the same time.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

But this is pointless, because weight fluctuates so much throughout the day that you're not even getting accurate information each time you step on the scale. If you weigh yourself, then drink a liter of water and step back on, it'll say you're 2 lbs heavier. But it's just because of the water in your stomach that you just drank. So what is the point of weighing both of those times? There's really not even a reason to weigh on a daily basis. Stick to weekly, or every two weeks. Any other results are pointless due to normal daily weight fluctuations.

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I weigh daily. Before breakfast. Always have and always will. :)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Usually once a week.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Every day. It's helped me to become familiar with my body's fluctuation patterns.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Daily weigher here too...think it's the main reason I've maintained my weight loss for 3+ years.
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day with smart scale. It sends the information an app and and now that I have almost 8 months of data it's interesting to see the weight loss trend. I may have 3 or 4 weeks where I don't really loose or possibly gain a couple pounds. Then I'll tweak my workouts or eating plan and loose 10 pounds in two weeks. So i find that weighing often helps identify and break plateaus in my regimen.
  • mamakate2kh
    mamakate2kh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »

But this is pointless, because weight fluctuates so much throughout the day that you're not even getting accurate information each time you step on the scale. If you weigh yourself, then drink a liter of water and step back on, it'll say you're 2 lbs heavier. But it's just because of the water in your stomach that you just drank. So what is the point of weighing both of those times? There's really not even a reason to weigh on a daily basis. Stick to weekly, or every two weeks. Any other results are pointless due to normal daily weight fluctuations.

Yes I do know it's pointless to do it so much. Its become like an unconscious habit.. Haha just hoping the scale would show me an awesome number after doing a great workout.. I know that's not how life works I do.. Its just a mental fantasy that I will see a massive difference quickly lol
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,729 Member
    Options
    Weight yourself in the morning after using the bathroom and before you eat or drink anything wearing (or not wearing) the same clothes in the same spot of hard unyielding floor using the same scale. Record your weight in a trending weight app. Once a day. Then use your scale energy to weight the food you're eating!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    So I have an obsession with my scale so much to the point where yesterday I had my best friend take it from me.. So I want to know how often do you all weigh yourself? Anyone else scale obsessed?

Every *kitten* day....ish
  • PurpleOrchid531
    PurpleOrchid531 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but only record Saturday's weight. I know it's normal to have fluctuations but they drive me crazy. I'm afraid I won't be accountable if I only weigh myself once a week.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I weight daily. Sometimes I'll hop on the scale before bed too, just to see the difference in the morning, lol. I think as long as you aren't getting upset by the numbers, and are picking a day (or keeping a weekly average) for your official weigh-in so you can see the trend over time, it's all good. Your friends must have seen something unhealthy going on or they wouldn't have confiscated your scale, no? Does it upset you when you see the number fluctuate up? If so you might want to limit yourself to first thing in the morning...