Intermittent Fasting. Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• Lowerklass1
    Lowerklass1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When you sleep your in a fasted state. I think with fasting like every other way of dropping fat, you have to be consistent. If you have a few days where you eat abit too much just reduce intake for the next few days and get back to that sweet spot. Dropping 1/2 - 1 lb is fat a week. I understand that protein shake breaks fast, but it is a light break an body still has fasted feelings. However, shakes actually effect insulin levels more than white bread so I'm stopping it now. I'm just going to stick to BCAA's for the Leucine to stop muscle breakdown.
  • MsVino
    MsVino Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been for two weeks now on a keto diet, my window is 20/4 first meal straight after gym at 4pm then another by 7pm. Have not had much of an appetite and seem to train well fasted also enjoy the large meals :-)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Cant see the appeal of starving myself....
  • edwinhalo2016
    edwinhalo2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    While i don't have anything to contribute yet...this is something I've been hoping to explore. So happy to see this topic on here! Happy Friday everyone!!
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I think it's really neat how fasting has been a spiritual practice for centuries, and now research is showing us that there are very real benefits--cardiovascular, metabolic, neurological, etc. It's a very tangible example of the mind-body connection.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

I use IF.

Do you think me eating almost 1700 cals a day is starving myself?
  • eldamiano
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »

I use IF.

Do you think me eating almost 1700 cals a day is starving myself?

Not really fasting then is it?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

lol.

Maybe you are confused? You've been on here since 2013 have made 2,518 posts but don't know what IF is?

Here's a beginner's guide to IF from nerd fitness, JIC you are interested:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
  • Cookiecanwin2013
    Cookiecanwin2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I been doing this about a month now. I eat between 5 am and 12 N, I have breakfast and lunch sometime a snack around 2 or 3 pm. I don't get hungry to much and by me been on the short side, I really have to watch how much I eat. I am on 1200 cals a day. Lost 10 lbs..4 lbs first week but gain back but when I start doing cardio workout.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I can't do it. I've tried but had to hard of a time getting enough calories in without gorging.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

The version of IF that the OP is talking about isn't calorie restricting. You could eat thousands of calories a day and still do IF. Heck, I gained a few pounds over the winter while still doing IF.

Perhaps you're thinking of traditional fasting (like water fasts)?
  • edwinhalo2016
    edwinhalo2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
    [/quote]

Yay...Thank you for sharing!
  • eldamiano
    Options

lol.

Maybe you are confused? You've been on here since 2013 have made 2,518 posts but don't know what IF is?

Not interested. Sorry. Just because I have made a load of posts, it doesnt mean I should know about this.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

lol.

Not interested. Sorry. Just because I have made a load of posts, it doesnt mean I should know about this.

Then you probably shouldn't make uninformed comments on something you know very little about, if at all.

For others in this thread who may possibly get confused when reading eldamiano's inaccurate comments:

IF has nothing to do with starving oneself. The 5:2 method where people eat 500 calories two days a week is extreme and not something I personally do. The IF I know of and love is the one where you have a daily eating window and that's it. You eat the same amount of calories you normally would, except you eat them within an 8 to 10 hour window of your day. Some people go extreme and do a 4 hour eating window, but the recommended fast/feed split is 16/8 for men and 14/10 for women.

IF doesn't work well for everyone. I notice that if I eat several small meals throughout the day, I always feel hungry and my energy levels are off. I eat 2400 to 3000 calories per day right now, but I feel better when I eat three meals instead of several small ones. Some people thrive on several small meals. Some women's hormones go out of whack when trying to adopt IF. Everyone will have a different experience.

IF is not magic; if you're not eating at a deficit while adopting IF you will not lose weight. Do not force yourself to adopt IF if it's not natural for you. Many of us who do IF already had a similar natural eating pattern. Others switched after realizing they don't like several small meals and never functioned well eating that way. Again, your experience may vary.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

lol.

Then you probably shouldn't make uninformed comments on something you know very little about, if at all.

For others in this thread who may possibly get confused when reading eldamiano's inaccurate comments:

IF has nothing to do with starving oneself. The 5:2 method where people eat 500 calories two days a week is extreme and not something I personally do. The IF I know of and love is the one where you have a daily eating window and that's it. You eat the same amount of calories you normally would, except you eat them within an 8 to 10 hour window of your day. Some people go extreme and do a 4 hour eating window, but the recommended fast/feed split is 16/8 for men and 14/10 for women.

IF doesn't work well for everyone. I notice that if I eat several small meals throughout the day, I always feel hungry and my energy levels are off. I eat 2400 to 3000 calories per day right now, but I feel better when I eat three meals instead of several small ones. Some people thrive on several small meals. Some women's hormones go out of whack when trying to adopt IF. Everyone will have a different experience.

IF is not magic; if you're not eating at a deficit while adopting IF you will not lose weight. Do not force yourself to adopt IF if it's not natural for you. Many of us who do IF already had a similar natural eating pattern. Others switched after realizing they don't like several small meals and never functioned well eating that way. Again, your experience may vary.

So you are allowed to eat for a third of the day, where as a third of the day you sleep. Not really fasting then is it....
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options

lol.

So you are allowed to eat for a third of the day, where as a third of the day you sleep. Not really fasting then is it....

dude give it up. If you don't understand it then read the resources about it. Tons of people use this strategy with great results.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

lol.

At this point, I'm going to hope that your ineptitude on the subject is an April Fools' Joke, because if not, then yikes..

Intermittent: Occurring at irregular intervals; not continuous or steady.
    Fasting: Primarily a movement of willing abstinence or reduction from certain or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time.

Hence why it is called Intermittent Fasting. It is abstaining from food for irregular intervals of time. If it were simply fasting, there would be no need to put intermittent in front of the word.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain IF is a big contributor in keeping my blood sugar in check. I have an endocrine disorder which seems to predispose women to type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance, and I have excellent fasting blood sugar levels.
    I naturally do a 16:8. Larger lunch and dinner, rarely snack otherwise, often even tighter that 8 hours. That's just when I'm hungry, and I got tired of trying to make myself eat breakfast. I'm pretty sure I'll eat this way indefinitely.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

IF is "intermittent" fasting. Intermittent being the key word. It isn't really an argument if you don't know anything about the topic.

• mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I did IF when I first started my weight loss journey. On weekdays I would hold off eating breakfast until about 11am or so. I had steady weight loss for a couple months, after which I switched to counting calories + lifting. The biggest lesson it taught me was that feeling hungry is not going to kill me.