5'5, 150 pound ladies

Options
Hi, I am 5'5, 150 pounds. Approx 1400 calories per day, have cheat day(s), try to eat as healthy as possible and reach macronutrient goals daily, but also not deprive myself. Weight training 30 mins per day 4 days p.w, and minimal cardio, 25 - 45 mins per day. I have noticed mucle and strength improving but body fat stays the same. Picked up 2 kg since starting 7 weeks ago. Goal is to drop body fat, and build a strong healthy body. I have been taking measurements and there is hardly any difference 1/2 cms here and there. Not sure what I am doing wrong, would be good to hear what has worked for you?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more than you think. Skip the cheat days, pick a reasonable goal, and fit what you like within your calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your cheat days are likely the problem. As Francl27 wrote, you're eating more than you think. At a true 1400 calories you'd likely be losing more than a pound a week on average. (Basing on my own experience.)
  • texasf1ght
    texasf1ght Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've stopped having cheat days, and instead I just have a "treat meal" once or twice a week. It's really easy to stay on track during the week, and I know it's very likely that my boyfriend and I will go out to eat on Friday and Saturday nights. I eat healthy the rest of Friday and Saturday, so the one or two "treat meals" a week don't have as much of an effect on me.

I also don't go overboard. I pick something I'd like that sounds reasonable. I've known some people who treat "cheat days" as almost a challenge and end up eating entirely indulgent foods, thus wiping clean their calorie deficit for the week.

As I've retrained my body, I'm finding I feel satisfied much quicker, and on things that in the past I thought of as some insanely healthy food that only crazy health addicts would eat. I feel so much better.
  • Francl27
    Options
    texasf1ght wrote: »
    I've stopped having cheat days, and instead I just have a "treat meal" once or twice a week. It's really easy to stay on track during the week, and I know it's very likely that my boyfriend and I will go out to eat on Friday and Saturday nights. I eat healthy the rest of Friday and Saturday, so the one or two "treat meals" a week don't have as much of an effect on me.

I also don't go overboard. I pick something I'd like that sounds reasonable. I've known some people who treat "cheat days" as almost a challenge and end up eating entirely indulgent foods, thus wiping clean their calorie deficit for the week.

As I've retrained my body, I'm finding I feel satisfied much quicker, and on things that in the past I thought of as some insanely healthy food that only crazy health addicts would eat. I feel so much better.

To be fair, I can wipe off my weekly deficit in one 'cheat meal' pretty easily too...
  • shimonajade
    shimonajade Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You're probably eating more than you think. Skip the cheat days, pick a reasonable goal, and fit what you like within your calories.

I weigh all my food, keep track of everything. Previously I lost 5 kgs in 4 weeks with a 1200 calorie defecit but this time I am weight training and not losing at all. I'll check on my cheat meals, maybe overindulging too much on those :-) thanks
  • shimonajade
    Options

To be fair, I can wipe off my weekly deficit in one 'cheat meal' pretty easily too...

I will rethink my cheat days/meals! Thank you!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1400 or netting 1400?
  • shimonajade
    Options
    eating 1400, dont eat back calories burned through exercise. I understand the science behind weight loss fairy well so i realise that i should be losing quite a bit. I think the only solution is to rethink my food choices on cheat days, and to have a cheat meal instead. Or maybe increase my calories? It doesnt make sense that my body fat is not budging. Been weight training for 7wks, and only logging calories for 2wks so I might just be too impatient to see physical results. i am so lost.. lol
  • Francl27
    Options
    The main thing is - do you log your cheat days? If not, it can be a big eye opener.
  • shimonajade
    Options
    The main thing is - do you log your cheat days? If not, it can be a big eye opener.
    I don't, i will start though! thanks :)

• shimonajade
    Options
    what is your calorie intake and what worked for you ladies?
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I don't, i will start though! thanks :)
    I'm 5'5" and sitting at 143 (down from 185). My daily goal is 1450 but I eat way too much on weekends which is why I've been unable to get any lower. Pretty sure I'm wiping out my deficit each week and it's quite possible that's what you're doing too.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    5'5" 155 lbs here with weight training on average 1 1/2 hours 3 x week and occasional cardio- I agree with everyone about cheat days. Some people log their cheats just to keep track, so that may be something you'd want to try.

I've lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks of logging at 1550-1650 kcal/day with one cheat day, but for the past two weeks my weight was stubborn. Then yesterday and today I had the "whoosh" and dropped more than 2 lbs. Sometimes (especially if you're weight training or taking in a lot of sodium) your body will hold onto water temporarily. It's only a problem if your weight refuses to budge for a full month.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options
    Make sure your food weighing/logging is bulletproof, not forgetting any dressings, oils used in cooking, condiments, etc. But if you're really eating 1400 (gross, not eating back exercise), you should be losing. I'm 5'5" and was losing steadily at 1400 net, eating back all exercise, when I was your current weight (and I'm almost 30 years older than you).

One possibility: If this exercise is new, you may be holding onto some water weight for muscle repair. If you're in a calorie deficit, you're not likely to build a lot of muscle in 7 weeks (though you could definitely get stronger). But don't reduce your water consumption: If anything, drink more. Depending on when the timing falls, if you add that water weight retention to time of month water retention, maybe throw in a few days of more than normal sodium or carbs (cheat meal?) - even if the sodium/carbs are not unreasonable, just higher - and you could see the scale holding steady for quite some time.

So, if you modify the cheat-meal practice (at least log it as accurately as you can so you have an estimate of your actual consumption), and tighten your logging, and are really at that deficit . . . I'd maybe wait another 2-4 weeks before panicking.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

And I can wipe off the surplus in one cheat meal in one day!

I can't run away from my buffet, restaurant loving lifestyle. :)
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

One possibility: If this exercise is new, you may be holding onto some water weight for muscle repair. If you're in a calorie deficit, you're not likely to build a lot of muscle in 7 weeks (though you could definitely get stronger).

This is exactly what I was going to say. If you just started some strenuous weight training, your muscles are going to hold that water for repair. So that could be the cause of a little weight gain there.
    Also, weight fluctuates, so make sure you weighing at the same time in as close to the ame conditions as possible. Even doing that, weight can fluctuate from day to day, so if you're doing that, maybe think about something like happy scale (iOS, I forgot the android one's name), or trend weight. I use happy scale, so I don't flip out when I gained 2 pounds overnight, because then I know I'm still below my trend line and it's just daily fluctuation.

Also like others have said, the entire cheat day might be more than you think, so at the very least log it, and maybe consider a cheat meal instead.

I'm 5'5.5", 151.8 pounds, 21 years old, and "lightly active". My daily limit for a 1 pound a week goal is 1550. I eat anywhere between 1200 and 1550, depending on hunger. I focus on protein, try to get at least 100 if not more. I do light cardio (treadmill walking at a semi-brisk pace with the incline up at no less than 7, though usually around 10) daily for 20-45 minutes (20 when I lift, 30 or 45 when I don't). I lift every other day. I don't eat back exercise calories. I typically lose 1 pound and some ounces a week.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Im 5'5" and 162#. My daily goal is 1350. When i am strict and follow that (i also eat back half my exercise cals.. usually an extra 200 to eat on exercise days)..i lose ~1.5# a week.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Also adding...i run for cardio... usually 5k on weekdays and 6-8miles on a weekend long run.

I lift heavg 2 days per week and do body weight exercise at home at least 1 day a week.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

One possibility: If this exercise is new, you may be holding onto some water weight for muscle repair. If you're in a calorie deficit, you're not likely to build a lot of muscle in 7 weeks (though you could definitely get stronger).

This is exactly what I was going to say. If you just started some strenuous weight training, your muscles are going to hold that water for repair. So that could be the cause of a little weight gain there.
    Also, weight fluctuates, so make sure you weighing at the same time in as close to the ame conditions as possible. Even doing that, weight can fluctuate from day to day, so if you're doing that, maybe think about something like happy scale (iOS, I forgot the android one's name), or trend weight. I use happy scale, so I don't flip out when I gained 2 pounds overnight, because then I know I'm still below my trend line and it's just daily fluctuation.

Also like others have said, the entire cheat day might be more than you think, so at the very least log it, and maybe consider a cheat meal instead.

I'm 5'5.5", 151.8 pounds, 21 years old, and "lightly active". My daily limit for a 1 pound a week goal is 1550. I eat anywhere between 1200 and 1550, depending on hunger. I focus on protein, try to get at least 100 if not more. I do light cardio (treadmill walking at a semi-brisk pace with the incline up at no less than 7, though usually around 10) daily for 20-45 minutes (20 when I lift, 30 or 45 when I don't). I lift every other day. I don't eat back exercise calories. I typically lose 1 pound and some ounces a week.

The common Android weight-trend tracker is Libra.

Good point about the daily fluctuations - I often forget that folks don't always know to weigh themselves at the same time of day, etc.

And: Sometimes daily water-weight fluctuation takes me above my Libra trend line . . . if I didn't eat enough calories above my (estimated) maintenance calories to add as many pounds as have shown up on the scale, I still don't worry about it.
  • slong12041989
    slong12041989 Posts: 21 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree with those saying to log your cheat days! I did and it helped me to realize what foods were just too bad to include even on cheat days, OR have a much smaller portion.

Since I'm sort of plateauing at 150 (I'm 5'5" also!), and have had some issues with binging, I don't do cheat days, and if I want a "cheat treat" I'll have a couple bites. Good example... I used to get a pint of ice cream and eat the whole thing, or even just half, I know, yikes that's a lot of ice cream. Now, if I'm craving it I'll take a small spoon and have a couple of bites instead. It's kind of fun now to see how long I can make a pint of ice cream last, I get a taste of what I'm craving and don't feel bad about myself afterwards.

Another thing that helped me was measuring out my food. I don't measure or weight every single thing I eat, but doing it every once in awhile helps me to be much better at estimating so I get more accurate entries in my diary.