I need to shed about 30 pounds in about a month!

Options

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have about 20-25 to lose and anticipate it will take me about 4-5 months to do so. One month would be wonderful, but as everyone said, is unrealistic. Sorry.
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Probably not gonna happen. You didn't gain the weight overnight and you aren't going to lose it overnight.

Also, this^^
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Probably be easier to build a wayback machine. I've been on a couple of cruises and most of the people are really big. And there is loads of all you can eat food.

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I started Jan 27th 100% strict lost 12.lbs

I lost 20lbs in a month in stupid meal replacements that made my hair fall out memory bad cranky bad breath & I regained double

Tbh you need a life style change as said it didn't come on over night 1lbs a week is the usual goal

If you had an event then early planning a best :)
    Tbh if you lost 20lbs I bet after the cruise you'd be 20lbs heavier plus 10
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This is an April Fool joke isn't it? lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cut an arm or go back in time and start 5 months ago?
    size102b wrote: »
    I started Jan 27th 100% strict lost 12.lbs

I lost 20lbs in a month in stupid meal replacements that made my hair fall out memory bad cranky bad breath & I regained double

Tbh you need a life style change as said it didn't come on over night 1lbs a week is the usual goal

If you had an event then early planning a best :)
    Tbh if you lost 20lbs I bet after the cruise you'd be 20lbs heavier plus 10

Seriously. You'd be depriving so much to get there, you'd probably gain it all back in a week.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    vnieves605 wrote: »
    Def not looking for a bikini body! Just want to get at a comfortable weight!

I understand, but I'm afraid you're being unrealistic. And if you go all out to lose as much as possible before your trip, you're likely to make yourself ill and unable to truly enjoy it.

Why not concentrate on trying to eat a bit less, exercise a bit more, and work on liking what you see in the mirror a bit better? I know it can be tough, but I think you'll be much happier if you can get to a better place mentally than if you focus on losing a lot of weight by a certain date.

Don't be miserable if you don't achieve what you want, be happy for any small improvements you can make in the next month. Good luck!

ETA: I would advise reading the article I linked to in my previous post - it's not what you think, and might help you to adjust your thinking.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Wait? What? My cruise leaves on Sunday. I can't lose that last 10lbs before then???? :worried:
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »

Wait? What? My cruise leaves on Sunday. I can't lose that last 10lbs before then???? :worried:

Go naked, that might save you 2-3lbs! You could also consider removing a relatively small body part?
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Go naked, that might save you 2-3lbs! You could also consider removing a relatively small body part?

Toes maybe? Kinda difficult for flip flops but I can just bury my feet in the sand. Maybe my nose, sea water isn't the best smelling anyway :mask:
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    20 pounds still isn't a good idea. 8 is about the most you should aim for, and that's only if you have a lot to lose. What are your stats?

I've never fully understood the "its unhealthy" mantra. Maybe you can explain it to me?

3500 calories in a pound.

Someone could technically eat 2,500 calories per day, and then through BMR and lots of exercise, burn 6,000 calories per day. That would result in a 3500 deficit per day - Which is 1 pound.

Maybe i'm missing something?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    vnieves605 wrote: »
    Sorry just realized I posted wrong number! Meant to post 20.. Lol! Going on a cruise!

Here's some math (for a reality check). 20 pounds in 30 days = .66 pounds every day. .66x 3,500 = 2,335 calorie deficit.

Google your TDEE (maintenance calories). A 300 pound 6' tall woman (25 years old) with strenuous exercise has a maintenance of 4,134. To get a deficit of 2,335 she could eat 1800 calories.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    20 pounds still isn't a good idea. 8 is about the most you should aim for, and that's only if you have a lot to lose. What are your stats?

I've never fully understood the "its unhealthy" mantra. Maybe you can explain it to me?

Someone could technically eat 2,500 calories per day, and then through BMR and lots of exercise, burn 6,000 calories per day. That would result in a 3500 deficit per day - Which is 1 pound.

What size of a person are you talking about who can burn 6000 calories per day? A 19 yo 165 lb 5'8" male has a BMR around 1750. What's he doing that burns another 4250 calories each and every single day for 30 days straight?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Hooray for April Fools!
    Am surprised nobody has suggested cutting off your leg. Isn't that the pat answer for this thread? Come on MFP, get with it!
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Toes maybe? Kinda difficult for flip flops but I can just bury my feet in the sand. Maybe my nose, sea water isn't the best smelling anyway :mask:

I've heard that you only really need the big toe for balance, so you could lose the rest. Most of your fingers, too, you only need the thumb and forefinger. You might need your ears to hold sunglasses on, so you probably need to keep those.

How about internal organs? Gall bladder, appendix, a few feet of intestines... that should help!
  • SueSueDio
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hooray for April Fools!
    Am surprised nobody has suggested cutting off your leg. Isn't that the pat answer for this thread? Come on MFP, get with it!

The OP only wants to lose 20lbs - maybe an arm? :wink:

(The thread wasn't started today, and I think the OP is actually serious - just a little misguided and unrealistic, perhaps. :smile: )
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Yes - you're missing the fact that all weight loss does not = fat. If you want muscle loss + some fat, then very aggressive weight loss is the way to go. Keeping lean muscle mass takes fuel. Lean muscle mass is compact, it keeps you from looking smaller, yet doughy.

6,000 calorie burn? Unlike Biggest Loser, most people don't have hours and hours to spend on a treadmill. 6,000 calorie burn day in and day out with very little fuel.....good luck.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Hooray for April Fools!

@Francl27 suggested an arm instead of a leg. Leg might have more weight though, so go for the leg!
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I lost a little more than that doing phase 1 of the south beach diet for more than 2 weeks. If you cut out carbs you'll be happy with the results but you will balloon right back up on the cruise. I did it with like 20-30 carbs a day. breakfast was low carb yogurt and coffee with protein added, lunch was half a low carb wrap loaded with lean meat, cheese, and grilled veggies, dinner was the other half of the wrap lol. that was way back when ruby tuesdays had a low carb menu and I could get their low carb cheesecake (which I learned to make later) when I had cravings. Now when I cut carbs I do greek yogurt for breakfast with turkey sausage, protein shake for snack, salad for lunch with extra chicken, protein shake snack, and salmon or some other lean meat with a side of veggies for dinner. low carb works for fast weight loss, but like everyone said, not realistic long term, so you'll be hating yourself after the cruise. honestly, at this point in my life after all the dieting and weight roller coasters, if i had a cruise in a month I woudn't diet. I would work out, drink more water, and start working on healthy behaviors i could sustain on the cruise, because you'll hate yourself if you lose 20 but come back 30 pounds heavier. it's really better to implement a new healthy change each week than to focus so much on numbers and pounds. so week one, drink 8 glasses of water a day. week 2, do 10,000 steps or more each day. increase your distance walk each day by a little. week 3, cut out sugary drinks, including fruity alcoholic beverages and try some healthier substitutions. week 4, try to have at least 3 servings of vegetables each day. when the cruise comes you can at least do those things to keep your health in check while on vacation and continue them when you return and add some. those are just some examples. good luck!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

Clearly I've been doing this wrong all along :neutral: