Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto VS Paleo

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Not sure how long I've been in ketosis, maybe two or three weeks but I went through the KETO rash and the headache, that's all past and now I have crazy dry mouth and short of breath! I've read from other people need Powerade but I can't seem to find the right website that caters to this or gives you the right info to help you figure out what you need? Any other info or ideas? Please add me if you would like.

maybe just try losing weight with a calorie deficit and get off the carbs are bad train?
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    @Raerising78, are you a member of the Low Carb group here? There might be some better answers for you there.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Not sure how long I've been in ketosis, maybe two or three weeks but I went through the KETO rash and the headache, that's all past and now I have crazy dry mouth and short of breath! I've read from other people need Powerade but I can't seem to find the right website that caters to this or gives you the right info to help you figure out what you need? Any other info or ideas? Please add me if you would like.

How's your salt intake. Are you prone to low blood pressure ?

Nobody needs Powerade.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    yarwell wrote: »

How's your salt intake. Are you prone to low blood pressure ?

Nobody needs Powerade.

Of course not, they're doing keto. They need Powerade ... ZERO.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I've done Paleo and it sucked for me. If I was forced to go Keto, I'd kill myself or someone else so it wouldn't be healthy for anyone....

I'll stick to the diet that gives more proven results here than anything.... Flexible dieting.
  • ndj1979
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I've done Paleo and it sucked for me. If I was forced to go Keto, I'd kill myself or someone else so it wouldn't be healthy for anyone....

I'll stick to the diet that gives more proven results here than anything.... Flexible dieting.

stop using common sense...
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I don't know anyone on keto who drinks PowerAde.
    I know of Keto redditors who make their own "ketoade." But I am a big proponent of plain ol' bouillon. But I found improvement drinking it before workouts even before I went keto when I realized mostly people aren't covered in a white layer of salt after running.
  • Fitnessqt27
    Fitnessqt27 Posts: 12 Member
    I think Keto is great for weight loss and cutting and for those who need to stay on it for medical reasons, and Paleo is good for maintaining, or gaining healthy weight even. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I think Keto is great for weight loss and cutting and for those who need to stay on it for medical reasons, and Paleo is good for maintaining, or gaining healthy weight even. :)

You can lose, gain or maintain on either or any diet. You lose if you are in a caloric deficit. You gain weight if you are in a caloric surplus. You maintain if you balance the calories in and calories out.

All of those things can and have been done on any kind of diet or way of eating.

And to add to that, the size of your caloric surplus combined with your training plan will determine fat vs muscle gain...
  • ndj1979

Neither is necessary for weight loss or gain
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Diet's are not sustainable, lifestyles are.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited April 2016
    Yes, it's normal for your appetite to decrease as your metabolism starts to heal. As you're going through this healing process of getting off the insulin/blood sugar roller coaster, it's important to stay hydrated and keep your electrolytes balanced by eating plenty of salt and getting enough potassium. Remember that your body isn't retaining water like it used to. Look up low carb sources of potassium. There are lots of them, including meat and seafood. Be careful with supplements and potassium salts, because too much can be more dangerous than not enough.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Sawjer wrote: »
    Diet's are not sustainable, lifestyles are.

Absolutely!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    One might heal from metabolic syndrome, by experiencing improved glucose sensitivity.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »
    One might heal from metabolic syndrome, by experiencing improved glucose sensitivity.

Wouldn't be correct to call that "metabolism healing," however.

I'm insulin sensitive (i.e., have no insulin problems), and it has zero to do with my metabolism.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »

Wouldn't be correct to call that "metabolism healing," however.

I'm insulin sensitive (i.e., have no insulin problems), and it has zero to do with my metabolism.

Why do you think that insulin has nothing to do with metabolism? The functionality of your insulin and insulin receptors is part of your metabolism, and a very important part. Metabolism is a broad term that covers all of the chemical processes involved in breaking food down and using components from food for growth, maintenance and healing of the body's cells, tissues, and organs.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Flexible dieting works for me. I don't need to fads