Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Go for it. Cutting out refined carbs was the best thing I have done for my health. They are everywhere, and there are something like 100 plus names for added sugars, so be diligent. I cut out 99.9% of processed foods to cut all the junk that makes us sick (trans fats, artificial non-food, oxidized seed oils, and especially all the sugars), so now I cook more and shop smarter. The benefits are huge from feeling better, lowering risks of diseases, losing weight, better skin, better moods....on and on and on.

Carbs =/= "junk" food...there are tons of highly nutritious carbs, none of which contain added sugars or trans fats or whatever...I will never undrestand why people equate carbs with junk food.

About 50-60% of my diet comes by way of carbs...and I eat very little "junk" food. I eat piles of veggies, a couple servings of fruit...I eat a lot of lentils and legumes and quinoa and brown rice and potatoes and sweet potatoes and....ermrgrd...even bread.

No one is telling you not to eat what works for you, calm down. The OP asked for comments about cutting carbs.

You went straight into "carbs are junk" talk...I'm clarifying for the OP that in fact, carbs can be very healthy and nutritious. There are a lot of places in the world where carbs are the primary macro...take Japan for example...they tend to be a lot healthier than much of the Western world...but yeah, carbs are the devil and should be eliminated.

Some of us just get a little tired of the fear mongering nonsense that a lot of low carbers put out there. Low carb if you want, but stop the *kitten* fear mongering that carbs are going to kill you and whatnot...
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I think it would help the discussion if the OP could at least confirm whether she wants to cut refined carbs and added sugars, or, as she first posted "cutting carbs and sugar completely", which I would interpret as all carbohydrates and any naturally occurring as well as added sugars.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cutting out added sugar and most refined carbs, like flour; cutting way back on grains as a whole; and cutting back on high sugar fruits has been great for me. I was eating way too much fruit, like 4 or 5 (or more) servings a day, and not paying attention to the fact that one apple can be two servings. Technically, I'm doing keto, with 5 servings of veggies a day, and that still allows me to have a small serving of a starchy vegetable, legume or whole grain every day.

I'm not denying myself anything that I desperately want to eat. I'm craving Brussels sprouts right now, and I'm going to have some.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    noelani716 wrote: »
    Thinking of cutting carbs and sugar completely from my diet? Any thoughts?

Consider joining the Low Carber Daily group if you have questions or need support. Low carb is is not well supported or understood on the main boards. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I went LCHF (no sugar, grains, minimal starchy veggies or fruit) to treat health issues and with the hopes of losing weight easier. I've been very happy with so far. Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Consider joining the Low Carber Daily group if you have questions or need support. Low carb is is not well supported or understood on the main boards. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I went LCHF (no sugar, grains, minimal starchy veggies or fruit) to treat health issues and with the hopes of losing weight easier. I've been very happy with so far. Good luck.

I disagree...I think it's pretty well understood and what is not supported are spurious claims of medical miracles and notions that you're going to be some kind of disease ridden being about the keel over and die if you eat a carb...
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Cutting out refined carbs was the best thing I have done for my health. They are everywhere, and there are something like 100 plus names for added sugars, so be diligent. I cut out 99.9% of processed foods to cut all the junk that makes us sick (trans fats, artificial non-food, oxidized seed oils, and especially all the sugars), so now I cook more and shop smarter. The benefits are huge from feeling better, lowering risks of diseases, losing weight, better skin, better moods....on and on and on.

Carbs =/= "junk" food...there are tons of highly nutritious carbs, none of which contain added sugars or trans fats or whatever...I will never undrestand why people equate carbs with junk food.

About 50-60% of my diet comes by way of carbs...and I eat very little "junk" food. I eat piles of veggies, a couple servings of fruit...I eat a lot of lentils and legumes and quinoa and brown rice and potatoes and sweet potatoes and....ermrgrd...even bread.

No one is telling you not to eat what works for you, calm down. The OP asked for comments about cutting carbs.

You went straight into "carbs are junk" talk...I'm clarifying for the OP that in fact, carbs can be very healthy and nutritious. There are a lot of places in the world where carbs are the primary macro...take Japan for example...they tend to be a lot healthier than much of the Western world...but yeah, carbs are the devil and should be eliminated.

Some of us just get a little tired of the fear mongering nonsense that a lot of low carbers put out there. Low carb if you want, but stop the *kitten* fear mongering that carbs are going to kill you and whatnot...

.... And some of us are tired of the social shaming that cutting out refined carbs means it is some how UNhealthy. It's not. Enjoy them if you want.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

If you truly mean 0 carbs & sugars, then you need to do some research on the keto lifestyle. It's not something I would suggest jumping into without reading up on it.

I think most people mean cutting the added sugars, but there are some who do go extreme and try to avoid all natural sugars too. That isn't nutritional Ketosis though, that is just extreme. (The exception being some chronic medical conditions which do require ALL sugars be eliminated.)

Being in nutritional Keto doesn't mean no fruits and veggies, I eat veggies at most meals and have a large colorful salad nearly every day. I have Greek yogurt with fruit nearly every day too. I think people have a lot of misconceptions as to what cutting back on carbs really looks like. Some will do it while still eating unhealthy choices, but that is the case with every way of eating.

Ketosis, of course,.doesn't mean zero veggies. But since the OP asked about cutting ALL carbs and sugars, it seemed like we should get some clarification before going forward with advice.

Given her post history, do you have any advice for the OP to go keto while pescetarian?

There are groups around the internet devoted to vegetarian Ketosis, which definitely can be done. If one eats fish, it's even more flexibile.

Thanks. I'm well aware that it can be done. I was hoping you could help the OP with some tips or resources. You seem to have decided to believe that I don't understand what keto is or how it works. I know that veggie and pescetarian ketoers exist. But while we're waiting for the OP to come back and clarify their position, I was hoping we could keep the discussion focused on them and their needs.

Or you can keep ketosplaining to me. That's fine, too.
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this too. I'm not eating fruits as they are high in sugar and no carbs but I refuse to cut out any veggies even though I know some have a higher carb content. For me it's still better than tons of rice and pasta right now. I have a protein shake for breakfast then lunch and dinner is a choice between chicken, fish or turkey and a massive side of veggies and it's been ok for the last 4 days. I don't really feel hunger at all so it must be true that a protein diet keeps you fuller for longer cutting out the need to snack and binge which is my main issue
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    lthur714 wrote: »

If you're just thinking about it, that's great. In reality, that's going to be unrealistic. How about just cutting 50% of your carbs and sugar? That will make a huge difference and should be easier for you. Don't deny yourself, just be reasonable about it.

How is it unrealistic?

how is zero sugar realistic? That would mean zero fruits, vegetables, breads....

I don't think OP means 0 sum on those, but very low. I could be wrong, but extremely low levels of both are attainable. I'm at 50g< carbs and 30g< sugar a day.

Again, I could be wrong on what OP's goals are. If OP means truly zero of both, Ya, not gonna happen unless all they eat is meat.
  • KarlynKeto
    Options

If you truly mean 0 carbs & sugars, then you need to do some research on the keto lifestyle. It's not something I would suggest jumping into without reading up on it.

I think most people mean cutting the added sugars, but there are some who do go extreme and try to avoid all natural sugars too. That isn't nutritional Ketosis though, that is just extreme. (The exception being some chronic medical conditions which do require ALL sugars be eliminated.)

Being in nutritional Keto doesn't mean no fruits and veggies, I eat veggies at most meals and have a large colorful salad nearly every day. I have Greek yogurt with fruit nearly every day too. I think people have a lot of misconceptions as to what cutting back on carbs really looks like. Some will do it while still eating unhealthy choices, but that is the case with every way of eating.

Ketosis, of course,.doesn't mean zero veggies. But since the OP asked about cutting ALL carbs and sugars, it seemed like we should get some clarification before going forward with advice.

Given her post history, do you have any advice for the OP to go keto while pescetarian?

There are groups around the internet devoted to vegetarian Ketosis, which definitely can be done. If one eats fish, it's even more flexibile.

Thanks. I'm well aware that it can be done. I was hoping you could help the OP with some tips or resources. You seem to have decided to believe that I don't understand what keto is or how it works. I know that veggie and pescetarian ketoers exist. But while we're waiting for the OP to come back and clarify their position, I was hoping we could keep the discussion focused on them and their needs.

Or you can keep ketosplaining to me. That's fine, too.

I never meant to 'ketosplain' to you, so my apologies if it came across that way. There is a common misconception that Keto = no carbs, including natural carbs, sowas addressing that point only.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

.... And some of us are tired of the social shaming that cutting out refined carbs means it is some how UNhealthy. It's not. Enjoy them if you want.

I don't see anyone saying it's inherently unhealthy to eat low carb...what I see a lot of is low carb folks telling people that carbs are unhealthy...you even did that up thread.

Also, if you low carb/keto you're cutting out more than refined carbs...are legumes refined carbs? No...are lentils refined carbs?...No. Are potatoes and sweet potatoes and other starchy vegetables refined carbs?...No. Are whole grain oats refined carbs?...Nope. How about brown rice?... and I'm pretty sure delicious fruits and other vegetables are also not refined carbs....

Again, associating carbs with "junk"...why do you folks always do this?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I disagree...I think it's pretty well understood and what is not supported are spurious claims of medical miracles and notions that you're going to be some kind of disease ridden being about the keel over and die if you eat a carb...

Um, okay... I guess I stand corrected.
  • KarlynKeto
    Options

I don't see anyone saying it's inherently unhealthy to eat low carb...what I see a lot of is low carb folks telling people that carbs are unhealthy...you even did that up thread.

Also, if you low carb/keto you're cutting out more than refined carbs...are legumes refined carbs? No...are lentils refined carbs?...No. Are potatoes and sweet potatoes and other starchy vegetables refined carbs?...No. Are whole grain oats refined carbs?...Nope. How about brown rice?... and I'm pretty sure delicious fruits and other vegetables are also not refined carbs....

If you want to discuss a dieters decision on how they determine both the quantity and quality of their foods, please open a new thread. Otherwise, I don't agree with the wild assumption that people can't tell the difference.
  • ashleynv979
    ashleynv979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I cannot believe the amount of people that think they are certified nutritionists that telling you cutting carbs is unrealistic and unhealthy. It really depends on what your goals are. If you want to lose, a ketogenic lifestyle is amazing. It is not a diet and it is not a fad, it is science. I started eliminating carbs from my life in December and I am the healthiest, happiest I have ever been in my life. I don't feel bogged down and bloated. My mental clarity is phenomenal. I monitor my macros religiously and eat about 20 net carbs per day, with a bunch of protein and healthy fats. It has cleared my skin, it has given me unbelievable energy and I have lost 25 pounds in 3 months. No I do not consume bread, pasta, potatoes, or sugar. But you absolutely do not NEED those things. Please look into keto. It's benefits are phenomenal and you in no way shape or form feel deprived of food. You do not NEED sugar to live. Unbelievable. The meals that I eat are so fulfilling and delicious every single day. Green vegetables are a staple to my life.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

If you want to discuss a dieters decision on how they determine both the quantity and quality of their foods, please open a new thread. Otherwise, I don't agree with the wild assumption that people can't tell the difference.

Then why do you only talk about refined carbs and junk? You all seem to limit your discussions to junk
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    tk6299 wrote: »
    MapMyWalk blog about carbs.

one serious load of BS there. Fruit gas complex carbs and we need carbs to survive? Yeah right, and I'm a kipper.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I cannot believe the amount of people that think they are certified nutritionists that telling you cutting carbs is unrealistic and unhealthy. It really depends on what your goals are. If you want to lose, a ketogenic lifestyle is amazing. It is not a diet and it is not a fad, it is science. I started eliminating carbs from my life in December and I am the healthiest, happiest I have ever been in my life. I don't feel bogged down and bloated. My mental clarity is phenomenal. I monitor my macros religiously and eat about 20 net carbs per day, with a bunch of protein and healthy fats. It has cleared my skin, it has given me unbelievable energy and I have lost 25 pounds in 3 months. No I do not consume bread, pasta, potatoes, or sugar. But you absolutely do not NEED those things. Please look into keto. It's benefits are phenomenal and you in no way shape or form feel deprived of food. You do not NEED sugar to live. Unbelievable. The meals that I eat are so fulfilling and delicious every single day. Green vegetables are a staple to my life.

I think a lot of us, myself included, interpret the OP's question to mean she's trying to reach 0 carbs and 0 sugar at all, which is quite a bit different than low carb or keto and would be unrealistic for most people. But since @noelani716 hasn't come back to clarify, we may never know.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

The same benefits happened to me also and I eat anything I want that fits in my calories, micro's and macro's.....and to add I no longer have heart disease and I have not been sick in over 2 years. ;)

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

This is ironic. I don't see anyone here saying that cutting out carbs is unhealthy, I see people saying a zero carb/zero sugar diet is unrealistic and potentially unnecessary, depending on if there is a medical reason to restrict.

Who I do see making blanket claims about foods or ways of eating being unhealthy, is you, claiming that carbs and processed food is junk.