• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Go for it. Cutting out refined carbs was the best thing I have done for my health. They are everywhere, and there are something like 100 plus names for added sugars, so be diligent. I cut out 99.9% of processed foods to cut all the junk that makes us sick (trans fats, artificial non-food, oxidized seed oils, and especially all the sugars), so now I cook more and shop smarter. The benefits are huge from feeling better, lowering risks of diseases, losing weight, better skin, better moods....on and on and on.

Carbs =/= "junk" food...there are tons of highly nutritious carbs, none of which contain added sugars or trans fats or whatever...I will never undrestand why people equate carbs with junk food.

About 50-60% of my diet comes by way of carbs...and I eat very little "junk" food. I eat piles of veggies, a couple servings of fruit...I eat a lot of lentils and legumes and quinoa and brown rice and potatoes and sweet potatoes and....ermrgrd...even bread.

No one is telling you not to eat what works for you, calm down. The OP asked for comments about cutting carbs.

You went straight into "carbs are junk" talk...I'm clarifying for the OP that in fact, carbs can be very healthy and nutritious. There are a lot of places in the world where carbs are the primary macro...take Japan for example...they tend to be a lot healthier than much of the Western world...but yeah, carbs are the devil and should be eliminated.

Some of us just get a little tired of the fear mongering nonsense that a lot of low carbers put out there. Low carb if you want, but stop the *kitten* fear mongering that carbs are going to kill you and whatnot...
    Go for it. Cutting out refined carbs was the best thing I have done for my health. They are everywhere, and there are something like 100 plus names for added sugars, so be diligent. I cut out 99.9% of processed foods to cut all the junk that makes us sick (trans fats, artificial non-food, oxidized seed oils, and especially all the sugars), so now I cook more and shop smarter. The benefits are huge from feeling better, lowering risks of diseases, losing weight, better skin, better moods....on and on and on.

Carbs =/= "junk" food...there are tons of highly nutritious carbs, none of which contain added sugars or trans fats or whatever...I will never undrestand why people equate carbs with junk food.

About 50-60% of my diet comes by way of carbs...and I eat very little "junk" food. I eat piles of veggies, a couple servings of fruit...I eat a lot of lentils and legumes and quinoa and brown rice and potatoes and sweet potatoes and....ermrgrd...even bread.

No one is telling you not to eat what works for you, calm down. The OP asked for comments about cutting carbs.

You went straight into "carbs are junk" talk...I'm clarifying for the OP that in fact, carbs can be very healthy and nutritious. There are a lot of places in the world where carbs are the primary macro...take Japan for example...they tend to be a lot healthier than much of the Western world...but yeah, carbs are the devil and should be eliminated.

Some of us just get a little tired of the fear mongering nonsense that a lot of low carbers put out there. Low carb if you want, but stop the *kitten* fear mongering that carbs are going to kill you and whatnot...

.... And some of us are tired of the social shaming that cutting out refined carbs means it is some how UNhealthy. It's not. Enjoy them if you want.

But yet you do the same!!!!! Were tired of you doing the same also!!!!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    OMG it's like a nursery. "You started it!" etc............. :(
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    there is no reason to cut out carbs unless one has a medical reason to do so.

No reason not to either, it's a perfectly valid option. You restrict carbs after all.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If the OP could come back and clarify what her goals are and what she meant with her "cutting all carbs and sugar" statement it would be easier to offer specific, helpful advice.

In the meantime we will just have to discuss amongst ourselves based on assumptions and that doesn't seem productive...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

.... And some of us are tired of the social shaming that cutting out refined carbs means it is some how UNhealthy. It's not. Enjoy them if you want.

I don't see anyone saying it's inherently unhealthy to eat low carb...what I see a lot of is low carb folks telling people that carbs are unhealthy...you even did that up thread.

Also, if you low carb/keto you're cutting out more than refined carbs...are legumes refined carbs? No...are lentils refined carbs?...No. Are potatoes and sweet potatoes and other starchy vegetables refined carbs?...No. Are whole grain oats refined carbs?...Nope. How about brown rice?... and I'm pretty sure delicious fruits and other vegetables are also not refined carbs....

Again, associating carbs with "junk"...why do you folks always do this?

If you want to discuss a dieters decision on how they determine both the quantity and quality of their foods, please open a new thread. Otherwise, I don't agree with the wild assumption that people can't tell the difference.

However, the OP talked about cutting carbs and sugar completely. Not refined ones. If she said sugar alone, I could understand you thinking it meant refined sugar. But carbs and sugar sounds like she means any and all.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat a high carb diet because it works for me. I have tried the keto diet in the past and while it works, I never got over the "keto flu", even with lots of potassium and sodium in my diet. Since going vegan keto isn't an option (I don't want to live off of vega protein powder and coconut oil), but cutting out processed sugar is a good idea. I promote eating lots of whole plant foods and a high vegetable diet. As long as you're doing something to lose weight that also makes you feel good, is healthy, and makes you have have lots of energy, I think it's a good idea. Keto can work, high carb low fat can work, IFFYM can work. As long as you're eating a calorie deficit can maintain 1g protein per kg body weight, and you're able continue eating that way in the long run.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Social shaming of pseudoscientific B.S. is a good thing.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I cannot believe the amount of people that think they are certified nutritionists that telling you cutting carbs is unrealistic and unhealthy. It really depends on what your goals are. If you want to lose, a ketogenic lifestyle is amazing. It is not a diet and it is not a fad, it is science. I started eliminating carbs from my life in December and I am the healthiest, happiest I have ever been in my life. I don't feel bogged down and bloated. My mental clarity is phenomenal. I monitor my macros religiously and eat about 20 net carbs per day, with a bunch of protein and healthy fats. It has cleared my skin, it has given me unbelievable energy and I have lost 25 pounds in 3 months. No I do not consume bread, pasta, potatoes, or sugar. But you absolutely do not NEED those things. Please look into keto. It's benefits are phenomenal and you in no way shape or form feel deprived of food. You do not NEED sugar to live. Unbelievable. The meals that I eat are so fulfilling and delicious every single day. Green vegetables are a staple to my life.

just thought id chime in because i am actually 2 weeks away from a masters in nutrition. unless diabetic or insulin resistance there isnt a need to cut out carbs/sugars. Either way high carb low carb moderate carb as long as u are getting adequate nutrition it literally does not matter. All that matters is sustainability and not doing something because you read it on the internet thinking its a cure all or going to make you lose weight in 5 minutes.
  • noelani716
    noelani716 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    noelani716 wrote: »
    Thinking of cutting carbs and sugar completely from my diet? Any thoughts?

I mean as in bread and sugars. I would still eat fruit
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

There is sugar in fruit, chemically the same as in ice cream. Do you eat pasta? From wheat?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Nutritiously speaking, cutting back on bread and sugar before fruit makes sense to me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

In that case, cutting back on higher carb and sugar foods can be an effective diet for many people. The best way to see if it works for you is to try it out!
  • zoe6724
    zoe6724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You could try cutting only processed carbs and still them in their whole form.
    Oats, quinoa, beans, lentils, etc.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I don't see anyone saying it's inherently unhealthy to eat low carb...what I see a lot of is low carb folks telling people that carbs are unhealthy...you even did that up thread.

Also, if you low carb/keto you're cutting out more than refined carbs...are legumes refined carbs? No...are lentils refined carbs?...No. Are potatoes and sweet potatoes and other starchy vegetables refined carbs?...No. Are whole grain oats refined carbs?...Nope. How about brown rice?... and I'm pretty sure delicious fruits and other vegetables are also not refined carbs....

If you want to discuss a dieters decision on how they determine both the quantity and quality of their foods, please open a new thread. Otherwise, I don't agree with the wild assumption that people can't tell the difference.

Then why do you only talk about refined carbs and junk? You all seem to limit your discussions to junk

Hmmm, read your question a few times. Yes, I mentioned I thought certain additives to foods are junk. Oxidized oils, trans fats, refined sugars, and artificial non-food ingredients. My apology, didnt realize some people considered them a part of a healthy way of eating. I didnt mean to offend your food choices. Enjoy.
  • stevencloser
    Options

Then why do you only talk about refined carbs and junk? You all seem to limit your discussions to junk

Hmmm, read your question a few times. Yes, I mentioned I thought certain additives to foods are junk. Oxidized oils, trans fats, refined sugars, and artificial non-food ingredients. My apology, didnt realize some people considered them a part of a healthy way of eating. I didnt mean to offend your food choices. Enjoy.

The phrase "The dose makes the poison" is completely unknown to you I take it?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

So you are talking about reducing carbs. Which can be a way of eating.
    Try it, see if it works for you. It isn't necessary but it may be a way of reducing calories or variability in weight loss. Many people do it.

Make sure you get variety and lots of fresh produce.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I'm assuming that you'll eat vegetables too. Cutting out flour and added sugar are reasonable, healthy changes. There are many ways to eat lower or low carb. Even if you still ate grains in whole form, like quinoa, oats, and wheat, you'd be having them in a form that ends up with a larger percentage of hard-to-digest starch and fiber being fermented by gut microbes, with healthy effects like the production of short chain fatty acids that help to modulate your blood sugar. Good luck!

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

The recommended maximum daily dose of trans fats is 2 grams. That's a very low dose.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    MFW it's 2016 and people are still terrified of carbs. Oatmeal and sweet potatoes are not the same as Reese Puffs Cereal and Cinnamon Buns.

Just eat the right carbs. Eat foods with lots of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients compounds and fiber. You'll lose weight eating in a caloric deficit, and you'll feel a lot better if you fuel yourself with whole foods, rather than processed garbage and tons of saturated fat.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

The recommended maximum daily dose of trans fats is 2 grams. That's a very low dose.

And since trans fats have been mostly removed from anything imaginable, I'd wager it's pretty hard to get to that dose.