Not Loosing using Macros

Options

Replies

• 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Are you moving most of the day or stting down for most 1/2hr or for long periods say longer 1 hour at a time? Sorry for such detailed question but this just to get a better idea of activity level.
  • sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    your weight gain is the muscle gain from the training from trainer and all that exercise happened to me if you measure your body you will see inches lost
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    sunflo7019 wrote: »
    I feel like things are not happening fast enough. Let me explain. I have a cancerous cyst on my kidney. Have to have it out. The surgery is at least 6 hrs. My surgeon feels at my current weight it is not safe for the surgery. When I say him back in Nov I had lost about 40 pounds and he still wanted me to keep going.

My husband is a renal cell carcinoma survivor, so your post really concerns me. I am hoping that you meant to type *noncancerous cyst*. If so, kindly disregard the following paragraph.

If indeed you have a cancerous cyst on your kidney, I implore you to seek a second opinion at a cancer center with plenty of experience treating renal cancer. Kidney cancer caught in an early stage is potentially curable via surgery. Unfortunately, if it spreads to lymph nodes or another organ, it becomes very difficult to treat, as it does not respond favorably to radiation or chemotherapy. 5 year survival rates plummet for patients whose cancer is at stage 3 or stage 4. While I get the difficulties in operating on obese patients, waiting months before removing a cancerous cyst seems like it might not be the best decision.

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    sliminby60 wrote: »
    your weight gain is the muscle gain from the training from trainer and all that exercise happened to me if you measure your body you will see inches lost

LOL. No. Not gaining muscle in 5 weeks on a calorie deficit without a progressive lifting program
  • sunflo7019
    sunflo7019 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    Are you moving most of the day or stting down for most 1/2hr or for long periods say longer 1 hour at a time? Sorry for such detailed question but this just to get a better idea of activity level.

I am a receptionist so yes I am sitting most of the time. Not longer than 1/2 hour.
  • sunflo7019
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »
    I feel like things are not happening fast enough. Let me explain. I have a cancerous cyst on my kidney. Have to have it out. The surgery is at least 6 hrs. My surgeon feels at my current weight it is not safe for the surgery. When I say him back in Nov I had lost about 40 pounds and he still wanted me to keep going.

My husband is a renal cell carcinoma survivor, so your post really concerns me. I am hoping that you meant to type *noncancerous cyst*. If so, kindly disregard the following paragraph.

If indeed you have a cancerous cyst on your kidney, I implore you to seek a second opinion at a cancer center with plenty of experience treating renal cancer. Kidney cancer caught in an early stage is potentially curable via surgery. Unfortunately, if it spreads to lymph nodes or another organ, it becomes very difficult to treat, as it does not respond favorably to radiation or chemotherapy. 5 year survival rates plummet for patients whose cancer is at stage 3 or stage 4. While I get the difficulties in operating on obese patients, waiting months before removing a cancerous cyst seems like it might not be the best decision.

I am being told 60% cancerous because it shows hard and soft material. I am a survivor of Hodgkin's Lymphoma it will be 2 years in August. I am super scared of it spreading. Plan is take the cyst of and leave as much kidney as we can. Currently it is 4.5cm. At my first visit he told me my weight will kill me before the issue with my kidney will. I have known all my life I need to loose this weight. This set me on my journey. I love to exercise now. This cyst was found on my Pet Scan back in March of 2015 but did not light up until June 2015 on my next Pet Scan. I was pissed. I said why didn't someone tell me about this back in March. They didn't then because it didn't light up as cancerous. The PET Scan was for my Hodgkin's. Congratulations to your husband for being a survivor.
  • sunflo7019
    Options
    sliminby60 wrote: »

I haven't taken measurements or pictures. I have noticed changes in my body and people have said I look different. I just took measurements so we will see what happens. Thank You
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    its not muscle gain like sliminby60 mentioned. you can lose inches but its not from gaining muscle. you arent going to gain muscle with 1000 or even 1200 calories. now weight training while in a deficit can result in some fat loss and a difference in how your body looks.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Okay I just read through them. If you have lost 10lbs in 2 months you are right on track just need more tweaking. I understand why you are aiming for 2lbs a week and goal for 8+lbs a month. A doctors concern about surgery is a valid reason to me for rushing to reach a weight more then most peoples goals for dropping weight.

I would agree with above post though if you can find another doctor to give you a consult about doing it sooner then later though.

"2607 so for 2 pounds a week I need to reduce down to 1607 in calories correct"

Yes, BUT that 2607 is with you working out a moderate amount. Since your day job is very sedentary I used an old excel doc I had found on MFP and tweaked my numbers to yours and it put your TDEE at 2,379 with 5 days of 30 minutes of vigerious activity but a very non active daily life. I would say that is conservative but better to aim for with your immediate goals.

BUT your BMR which is your minimum is 1,682 on MFP calculator so I would honestly aim for that goal and eat right around that. 1650-1700 range.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options
    Do you used a digital kitchen scale to measure food amounts in grams? If not, you are likely eating more than you think. In fact, if your weight has not changed in 5 weeks, you are likely eating at maintenance. In other words if you want to keep measuring your food the way you are now, you need to reduce your calorie goal. The other option, if you are not using a kitchen scale, is get one and stick at your current calories. That way you can know your calories eaten are going to be quite close to those logged. https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

I do have a scale but not digital. It doesn't do grams. I checked it this morning. I use it to measure ounces of meat mostly. I have not measured in grams. The video was great thanks. That was an eye opener. I will get a new scale for sure. Thanks for the eye opener on that.

You are welcome. For me the eye-opener was cereal, one day for fun I decided to weigh the 3/4Cup serving and found out that the amount in the measuring cup weighed substantially more than it was supposed to weigh. Since then I started weighing everything I have a weight for the serving. It makes a huge difference in accuracy. Since a digital scale can be purchase for less that $20 it is probably the best investment in your health you can make.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Okay I just read through them. If you have lost 10lbs in 2 months you are right on track just need more tweaking. I understand why you are aiming for 2lbs a week and goal for 8+lbs a month. A doctors concern about surgery is a valid reason to me for rushing to reach a weight more then most peoples goals for dropping weight.

I would agree with above post though if you can find another doctor to give you a consult about doing it sooner then later though.

Yes, BUT that 2607 is with you working out a moderate amount. Since your day job is very sedentary I used an old excel doc I had found on MFP and tweaked my numbers to yours and it put your TDEE at 2,379 with 5 days of 30 minutes of vigerious activity but a very non active daily life. I would say that is conservative but better to aim for with your immediate goals.

BUT your BMR which is your minimum is 1,682 on MFP calculator so I would honestly aim for that goal and eat right around that. 1650-1700 range.

I thought you werent supposed to eat less than your BMR? since those are the calories your body needs to function properly?
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options

I thought you werent supposed to eat less than your BMR? since those are the calories your body needs to function properly?

That's why my last line says her BMR is 1682 so 1650-1700. She has cancer and the doctor wants her to drop weight as fast as she can to make surgery safer. So like someone who is horribly obese and needs to drop weight fast for their own health I think for short term eating at BMR is the better of two options vs pushing back surgery.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Hey! RileysOwner, thanks for the video clip...I needed that. I've been eating some breakfast and lunches out during the week, and guess-timating my food diary, and wondering why I'm not losing as fast as I 'should' be...DUH. I'm making a new conmitment to eat from home and measure everything. Thanks!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options

People with a lot of weight to lose can safely eat under their BMR - they have plenty of fat for the body to use. It's pretty important with a low-cal plan to be spot on with the macros and nutrition, though.

Significant weight is life-threatening.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

That's why my last line says her BMR is 1682 so 1650-1700. She has cancer and the doctor wants her to drop weight as fast as she can to make surgery safer. So like someone who is horribly obese and needs to drop weight fast for their own health I think for short term eating at BMR is the better of two options vs pushing back surgery.

she says the dr wants her to keep going to lose more weight. not to lose it as fast as she can.
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options

she says the dr wants her to keep going to lose more weight. not to lose it as fast as she can.

She has a type of cancer that needs to be treated quickly. From her posts she feels quickly is what is needed and I can't blame her. At 258lbs and 5ft tall she also has a lot of weight to lose as well.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

She has a type of cancer that needs to be treated quickly. From her posts she feels quickly is what is needed and I can't blame her. At 258lbs and 5ft tall she also has a lot of weight to lose as well.

I don't fret over more aggressive goals in general, but, yes, this is a circumstance where a 2 pound a week goal is completely appropriate. With a start weight of 258 the OP could lose up to 2.5 pounds a week and still not be losing more than 1% for a bit. There are in fact much more restrictive medically supervised plans for obese patients.

Your body can pull and estimated 30ish calories a day from every pound of fat. That is the reason why someone with a lot of fat can sustain a deeper deficit without risking lean body mass...they have enough stored fat to burn for energy.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I agree she has a lot of weight to lose Im not disputing that at all
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Instead of getting a meal plan from your personal trainer, why don't you talk with your actual doctor about your caloric goals and projected weight loss. Your case is highly individualized, so your doctor will probably know the best course of action. That being said I do agree with the other posters that given your circumstances you probably should be more aggressive. Again your doctor can give you better nutritional goals than your personal trainer.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »

I don't fret over more aggressive goals in general, but, yes, this is a circumstance where a 2 pound a week goal is completely appropriate. With a start weight of 258 the OP could lose up to 2.5 pounds a week and still not be losing more than 1% for a bit. There are in fact much more restrictive medically supervised plans for obese patients.

Your body can pull and estimated 30ish calories a day from every pound of fat. That is the reason why someone with a lot of fat can sustain a deeper deficit without risking lean body mass...they have enough stored fat to burn for energy.

I have been looking for this estimate number for a while. Do you have a source for it as I would like to see it. I know that there is a direct relation between how much fat a person can oxidize and the total fat available, I just could not find and number.