Weight Watchers "Smartpoints" Refugee

Options
I cancelled my WW membership last night. I just couldn't wrap my brain around the new smartpoints program and was rebelling against it because I could no longer eat what I wanted without it being off the charts in points value.

I am so hopeful MFP will work for me! :smile:

Replies

• DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    was rebelling against it because I could no longer eat what I wanted without it being off the charts in points value.

Well, WW "points" are mostly based on calories, so MFP (which is also based in calories) most likely won't be much different for you.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I left WW while it was still PointsPlus. Not because it was a bad program, but because I was tired of paying for something that was essentially calorie counting. I've heard a few things about Smartpoints....most of it bad.

Welcome and good luck!
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I stopped using ProPoints last fall; been at goal for quite a few years but didn't care for the new program. MFP is great, if you're used to tracking using WW app, it's very similar, but don't need to calculate points. Works for me! Plus you can't beat the price.
  • mom2mikey
    mom2mikey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My bff started in January and is killing it on Weight Watchers! She has lost almost 27 lbs (of the 50 she wants to lose) since the end of January!!! I am actually contemplating joining too after seeing her changes but as another person said, it seems VERY similar to MFP and I don't want to pay for it.
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    mom2mikey wrote: »
    My bff started in January and is killing it on Weight Watchers! She has lost almost 27 lbs (of the 50 she wants to lose) since the end of January!!! I am actually contemplating joining too after seeing her changes but as another person said, it seems VERY similar to MFP and I don't want to pay for it.

I am a member of WW in the UK. It really is healthy eating and it is the same as MFP. I log all my meals on both sites. I love MFP because I get a lot of support on here. MFP is calories and WW has Smart Points as well as No Count Foods. Both work, you have to choose the one that you prefer. Good Luck to everyone on your weight loss journey. I struggle but I am determined to succeed.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've never done ww but it seems like an unnecessary step to have to convert things to points:/ Maybe she's doing really well because of the accountability of the group? I think you could find ppl on MFP that are faithful loggers and will also hold you accountable if that's what you ask them to do;)
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    The new weightwatchers heavily penalizes for junk/processed food. They also put people on point goals that when worked out to a calorie equivalent is far too low for the person. I believe because the point system is so simplified, they leave a huge error margin to ensure people lose weight.

Welcome to MFP, you'll enjoy it much more here :)
  • Kellymw89
    Kellymw89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit WW too about a month ago. I love Points Plus and hated the new Smart Points, I felt hungry all the time hated that I couldn't really afford to fit in even a cookie in my day.
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    The new weightwatchers heavily penalizes for junk/processed food. They also put people on point goals that when worked out to a calorie equivalent is far too low for the person. I believe because the point system is so simplified, they leave a huge error margin to ensure people lose weight.

This is what I found as well...each point is now approximately 45 calories. My leader actually agreed that the point goals are too low also. Unless you eat salad, grilled chicken and no sugar most days, your points add up SO fast. If you have a "treat" like @Kellymw89 mentioned you are almost done for the day. I totally get that they are trying to steer you into a healthier eating but to me it just felt too restrictive. While it works for a lot of people, I just couldn't see me staying with it long term.

I will miss my meetings though, I wish MFP would start up local meetings/weigh ins.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The wish for "local meetings/weigh ins" can actually happen daily on MFP for much cheaper $$! Collect yourself a group of like minded individuals as "friends" and get on that wagon together and keep each accountable. In the long run, I have found much to my disgust, whether WW or any other weight loss method; you are responsible for you and getting to a healthy weight and keeping it there. Hopefully, whichever way you choose to spend your time and dollars will work for you in the long run of life. It all boils down to the same idea - CICO.
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I agree it all boils down to calories in/calories out. I just keep trying because I really want to lose this 2st weight.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »

I would disagree and say that it penalizes fat and sugar, neither of which are inherently "bad" nor do they indicate junk or processed food. Try a day on Smart Points where you want to work in avocado, coconut oil or nuts. Forget about having all three.

You can "game the system" as they say and find TONS of fat free, sugar free processed junk food and almost eat as much as you want with minimal point impact.

Carbs like your beans and rice are WAY higher in points than their favorite thing, "lean protein". You can eat twice as much meat calorie wise as you can rice, legumes or whole wheat pasta for exactly the same points. A vegetarian, for instance, could use the exact same amount of points as an omnivore but eat half (or less) the amount of calories.
  • emmincontrol
    emmincontrol Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    was rebelling against it because I could no longer eat what I wanted without it being off the charts in points value.

Well, WW "points" are mostly based on calories, so MFP (which is also based in calories) most likely won't be much different for you.

Actually, the new points system is extremely restrictive in comparison to simply counting calories. I did it for a few weeks after the transition from PointsPlus and found it extremely difficult to get by, whereas I had no issue before. Now that I'm calorie counting, I feel like I'm eating more than I ever have while still losing weight. It must be the way the new points system penalizes for foods high in fat and carbohydrates, or too low points targets, or the silly notion that you earn ridiculously high amounts of points for exercise yet are discouraged from eating any of them.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

Actually, the new points system is extremely restrictive in comparison to simply counting calories. I did it for a few weeks after the transition from PointsPlus and found it extremely difficult to get by, whereas I had no issue before. Now that I'm calorie counting, I feel like I'm eating more than I ever have while still losing weight. It must be the way the new points system penalizes for foods high in fat and carbohydrates, or too low points targets, or the silly notion that you earn ridiculously high amounts of points for exercise yet are discouraged from eating any of them.

Exactly. Calories, oddly enough, are the smallest factor in point determination. There is no "45 calories to a point". There isn't any way to average out a point to xx calories with the way they're factored and favored based on protein, fat, carbs and sugar. It's all over the place.
  • missesquirejd
    missesquirejd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I also left WW when they changed to Smart Points. I have a sweet tooth, and my go to treats skyrocketed in points with the new program. I switched to MFP and have had great success!
  • lizziexboredom
    lizziexboredom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used Weight Watchers for about a month. I lost a little bit of weight, but I didn't enjoy the program. I like being able to track my macros and even my micros and Weight Watchers did not make that easy. For me it's not all about the calories it's also about the quantity vs quality. I also didn't like that they penalize you for blending fruit. I understand the concept behind it, that if you drink your calories you're more inclined to overeat. But I don't. If I have a smoothie, that's my meal. And I don't see the point in making it different if I take a banana and some blueberries and blend it with milk versus if I eat a banana and blueberries and a glass of milk.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I rocked WW when PointsPlus debuted. Then they upped the PP values of a lot foods and did Simply Filling. That's when things got really hard for me, so I stopped doing it. When I'm honest about my food intake, MFP works all the time.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

Untrue WW centres high points are carbs now that's why I hate it. I can't eat what I do now on the sp ww plan id be way off they're points scale
    I lost 12lbs in 6 weeks calorie counting.
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think WW is great. I don't know what their current plan is like but I still think it's a great program for many. Whatever works and someone can stick too, right? I think the meetings can be great for those people needing in-person community and if they like their leader. All that being said - I quit also after rejoining a few times (couple times in person and couple times online). I didn't like paying for something and points were too virtual for me. I like HERE, free (although I did pay for the upgrade but it's so low in comparison) and I deal with calories. I love MFP and will be here for the long haul. :)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I left WW while it was still PointsPlus. Not because it was a bad program, but because I was tired of paying for something that was essentially calorie counting. I've heard a few things about Smartpoints....most of it bad.

Welcome and good luck!

Same here. I was sick of paying money for it.