Giving up time line??

Options
lil_katie86
lil_katie86 Posts: 73 Member
Was there any point you felt like giving up? Or have given up in the past???
So far I'm on week four and I'm still dying from working out and starving from my new healthy eating!! When does this get better??

I'm not going to give up. I've changed for life now, I just hope it gets easier!!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    So far I'm on week four and I'm still dying from working out and starving from my new healthy eating!! When does this get better??

I'm not going to give up. I've changed for life now, I just hope it gets easier!!

I think you need to adjust, or else you will be giving up eventually. I have had "diet fatigue", but not from starving and exhaustion. How many calories are you eating, and is that an appropriate amount for you - what is your height, weight and activity level? What are you eating - have you cut something out that you are missing?
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For me, the first few days of calorie restriction are the worst. It takes the body about a week to adjust to reduced intake. From what you're saying, you've been at this a month and it's still bad. I'd either reduce activity or up your calories some so that you're not starving. You could also look into high-satiety foods to keep you full--generally foods with high protein and fat keep you full longer.

This sounds counter-intuitive, but do *not* push too hard! You are in this for the long run and if you get injured or develop malnutrition or other health problems now, you will not be able to reach your goal. As long as you are in any kind of deficit, you will lose.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I felt like giving up about twice a week for the first 16 weeks.

But I lost 15 kg in those first 16 weeks so there was no way on earth I was going to give up.

BTW - exercise helps. :)
  • lostgoals
    lostgoals Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced the starvation feeling on my calorie counting diet. When I started I ate a garden sized serving of veggies with every meal (4oz haddock and an entire bag of steamed veggies 240 calories) You can do this!
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    never felt starved.... sometimes hungry right before a meal... but never starved... maybe your eating too few calories.... eating just about the same diet as lost goals... lean piece of chicken,fish or beef, large salad and an entire bag of veggies.. 160 to 240 calories per bag depending on the veggies.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Something is not right--this should not be torture. After a month you should see results. Go back to the beginning, plug in your stats, set to lose no more than 1 lb a week. Read the "sexypants" stickie, as well as the "why am I not losing" flowchart. Both are excellent. Good luck.
  • lil_katie86
    Options
    Thanks guys great advice :-)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Why on Earth are you starving? I eat between 1500 and 1900 (sometimes more!) a day, and I'm still losing..1500 on days I don't workout, and the higher end when I do, which is at least 4 days a week. The more you move the more you can eat ;) ...May I suggest you increase your calorie goal for a few weeks, and see if that helps. Successful weight loss is when you can pretty much eat what you want, and still lose weight and feel good. I've been on this journey for quite a while...four weeks is a drop in the bucket, my friend.....don't give up...Look at it like this: what happens if you do? Nothing positive. Good luck, have faith in yourself, and give yourself time. xo
  • lmflorhy
    lmflorhy Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Yes, I was willing to almost let myself go. I remember watching so much TV and double eating and thinking about it but being ok with the weight gain. But I'm 26 years old and have 3 little girls ages 10,6, and 3 months. After my 3rd child I gain so much weight. On average I was 145 lbs and now I'm 176 lbs. I need to be a role model for my girls and eat more healthier to shed off the pounds. I hope that by me changing my eating habits I will get back on track. Feel free to add me. I'm on my journey to lose 40lbs. I will be sharing my before and after picture, hopefully by the beginning of july. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. I'm stubborn. I cannot give up. I actually tend to go to the other extreme and work harder. If you're starving and over training, of course you might feel that way. Maybe stop doing that. Pick a calorie goal and a workout routine you can adhere to and sustain and your attitude might change.
  • lil_katie86
    Options
    I'm not giving up!!! I have changed for life:-) it's just a hard start
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you're starving all the time, I will guess that you are eating a carb-rich diet? Fats and proteins are much more satiating than carbs. Instead of a bagel for breakfast, have scrambled eggs. Instead of snacking on chips, snack on some almonds or a cheese stick. Instead of a microwave pizza or mac and cheese for dinner, have chicken or fish and vegetables, etc. And don't drink sweet drinks, which also make you feel hungrier. I think you'll find you'll feel much more satiated throughout the day doing this.
  • lil_katie86
    Options
    I have a very low carb and sugar diet!! And eating very healthy:-) all fresh ingredients!!
  • 8diamonds
    8diamonds Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have never felt starved I eat more now but the difference is it's healthier and more filling. I have times when I'm struggling but there is no way in hell I'm giving up otherwise why have I bothered to workout so hard and stop all the junk food. I think you just know when the time is right and your mental attitude just seems to be in the zone. Everyone has a 'why?' and you just need to focus on that. Add me if you like and we can support each other. My friends on here keep me on the straight and narrow and I don't know how I would have managed without their support. Good luck x
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I have a very low carb and sugar diet!! And eating very healthy:-) all fresh ingredients!!

That may be true, but you should not be suffering. You may need to change things up a bit.
  • BroScience83
    BroScience83 Posts: 1,689 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    never gets better....no pain no gain ;)

if its "better" or i assume you mean easier, then its time to make it harder so therefore it should never be "better". PUSH IT!! :)
  • FourLaur
    FourLaur Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am with you - very often feeling uncomfortably hungry. I am also eating a lot of protein, generally large volume meals/snacks and still feel hungry to the paintbrush it's distracting. Only 1 week in though so I'm hoping it's just a transition feeling : /
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I will have been doing this for one year in about a week. I've never felt like giving up, and I still don't. However, I've had times where it's been very difficult and I've struggled. I feel like it's sort of a war I'm fighting, probably will till the end.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    If you want to give up after 4 weeks, you're doing it wrong.

If you're starving, make sure you eat plenty of protein, fat, and fiber. If you're still hungry, reduce your deficit. Better taking it more slowly than giving up (I lost 75 pounds on the 'lose one pound a week' setting).

Working out gets easier though, but I suggest picking something you enjoy, otherwise it just won't be sustainable anyway... And what you need is a plan that is sustainable (both exercise and eating) because if you're serious about it, it's a forever thing.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I didn't really feel like that this time at all. My goal wasn't to change everything to my idea of what "perfect" diet and exercise was, my goal is to make the smallest set of changes that will lead me to success. I only made changes I realistically expected I could maintain for a lifetime.