Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Blood Type Diet- Is it for real or is it more diet hokum?

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    I was so confused about dothraki... I had to google.
    :)

aBKzv9A_700b.jpg

All you need to know about Dothraki. <3

:love:
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Oh my......Thank you for the introduction :blush:
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member

aBKzv9A_700b.jpg

Quoting just so this picture appears again on this thread.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Possibly the only good thing about the TV adaptation... :wink:

*ducks*
  • snikkins
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Possibly the only good thing about the TV adaptation... :wink:

*ducks*

And the saving grace of the DC universe? ;)

I'll show myself out as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

aBKzv9A_700b.jpg

So worth giving up chicken for?

(Now I just want to see how many times we can repost the photo!)
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    i tried it and HATED it. it said i shouldnt be eating the foods i love (berries etc) and i should eat MEAT - well i had such a bad digestion and ate very little because its all high caloric foods!
    i feel much better eating an abundance of plantbased foods full of water and fiber, makes my metabolism work really good because my digestion is amazing with no animal prroducts in my diet (no meat eggs dairy)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    mfywydcilxam.jpg

Certainly does make the DC Universe better. But please don't forget Tyrion Lannister. In my opinion, Peter Dinklage's performance is spectacular.

I wonder what blood type the Lannisters are.

Here's what WebMD has to say about the Blood Type Diet:
    On The Blood Type Diet, you’ll avoid processed food and simple carbs. That may be enough to help you lose some weight. But any weight loss on this diet has not been linked to your blood type.

There’s also no research proving that this diet can aid in digestion or give you more energy.

Although you'll buy and prepare your own foods on this plan, your choices are limited depending on your blood type. So be prepared to spend some time in the kitchen.

The diet may quickly become expensive, too, since the author recommends you buy organics as well as his own line of supplements .

If the Blood Type Diet intrigues you, consider this: The science is stacked behind traditional recommendations for healthy eating for weight loss -- not restrictions based on the type of your blood.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Oh, I'm guessing Lannisters are Type O:

"Type O was an early success formula. It is the only blood type that carries two opposing blood type antibodies (one blood type A and another against blood type B). These antibodies undoubtably conveyed some survival advantage, as many of the common diseases that plagued our ancestors possessed markers (antigens) that simulated the other blood types. Thus, what is commonly considered a transfusion complication was, in type O, a very useful defensive benefit. However, when misdirected, this innate immune reactivity can sometimes get in the way of good health. Blood Type O may be predisposed to certain illnesses, such as ulcers and thyroid disorders...

...This blood type has a very well-developed ability to digest meals that contain both protein and fat...

...The legacy of your Type O ancestry causes an immediate “fight or flight” response in people of this blood type. However, this finely tuned response to stress, so vital in early Type O’s, is not always so beneficial in modern times. The Type O response can cause bouts of excessive anger, temper tantrums, hyperactivity and even create a severe enough chemical imbalance to bring about a manic episode. Since there is a powerful, synergistic relationship between the release of dopamine and feelings of reward, Type O is more vulnerable to destructive behaviors when overly tired, depressed or bored. These can include gambling, sensation seeking, risk taking, substance abuse and impulsivity. To avoid becoming overstressed, Dr. D’Adamo recommends following the Type O diet, which focuses on lean, organic meats, vegetables and fruits and avoid wheat and dairy which can be triggers for digestive and health issues in Type O. Additionally, he suggests that Type O’s avoid caffeine and alcohol. Caffeine can be particularly harmful because of its tendency to raise adrenaline and noradrenaline, which are already high for Type O’s."

Edit: heh, as a Type B, I love that it gets converted into a smiley with sunglasses above.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I feel cheated. I'm B+ blood type, I do like lamb, but I think I'm more than a tan and linguistics lessons away from being a Dothraki.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

aBKzv9A_700b.jpg

So worth giving up chicken for?

(Now I just want to see how many times we can repost the photo!)

*schedules surfing lesson*
    Give me him.

April 24th- hurry!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    My blood type is supposed to avoid meat, caffeine and alcohol. Alcohol I can do without, probably meat too, but you can pry my coffee from my cold, dead hands.

Also, I've dropped 55 pounds while consuming all of the above.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2016

aBKzv9A_700b.jpg

Posting just because...love GOT but season 1 was made because of this man! <3 That's all I have to add here lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited April 2016
    JShailen wrote: »

aBKzv9A_700b.jpg

Posting just because...love GOT but season 1 was made because of this man! <3 That's all I have to add here lol

I met him once. Very nice.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0060582/

CONCLUSIONS: No evidence currently exists to validate the purported health benefits of blood type diets. To validate these claims, studies are required that compare the health outcomes between participants adhering to a particular blood type diet (experimental group) and participants continuing a standard diet (control group) within a particular blood type population

http://blogs.mcgill.ca/oss/2012/11/18/what-is-the-“blood-type-diet”/

The bottom line is that there is no evidence for these silly meanderings and confusing people with such nonsense will not put them on the path for proper nutrition.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084749

In summary, the present study is the first to test the validity of the ‘Blood-Type’ diet and we showed that adherence to certain diets is associated with some favorable cardiometabolic disease risk profiles. This may explain anecdotal evidence supporting these diets, which are generally prudent diets that reflect healthy eating habits. However, the findings showed that the observed associations were independent of ABO blood group and, therefore, the findings do not support the ‘Blood-Type’ diet hypothesis.

In short - total hokum.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    I have told this story here before. I was at a conference a few years back. One of the guest speakers was a naturaopathy doctor. She told the story of how she found this diet, it made so much sense, so she tried it out. Her blood type told her to eat a vegetarian type diet, avoid red meat, etc. She followed it and felt amazing. Her skin glowed, she dropped weight, people complimented her.
    Then during a conversation with her mother, she learned she was mistaken about her blood type. She was supposed to be eating the opposite diet, high in meat, etc.

@3dogsrunning that was funny but epigenetics (the placebo effect) can give results like that per new research.

blog.mindvalleyacademy.com/alternative-healing/scientist-show-subconscious-thoughts-can-cause-specific-molecular-changes-genes?utm_source=cm-blog&utm_medium=facebook-share&utm_campaign=mvablog-share

Doesn't support anything related to blood type diet. Nope. Those genes do not affect blood type.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    senecarr wrote: »
    I feel cheated. I'm B+ blood type, I do like lamb, but I think I'm more than a tan and linguistics lessons away from being a Dothraki.

B RH+ K- here. I guess we are supposed to avoid chicken because it is somehow toxic. And tennis and golf are good exercise for us (I hate both. HATE.).

Ok, wait, the guy that invented this also sells vitamins for my type on line.
    Take my money!!!

sigh.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    diet hokum
    *has tried it, back in the 90s*
  • snikkins
    JShailen wrote: »

aBKzv9A_700b.jpg

I met him once. Very nice.

Honestly, that makes him hotter.

I don't hold it against celebrities for being kinda jerks since people are always in their faces, I'm sure, but it's nice when they're also nice.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Total hokum. If your friend is successful, it is because the restrictions are making her/him eat at a deficit.

^ pretty much