Cutting carbs from diet?

Options
124»

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    noelani716 wrote: »
    Thinking of cutting carbs and sugar completely from my diet? Any thoughts?

I cut out "excess" carbs, and try to eat very low sugar. It's not hard at all, nor is it extreme. I find it to be very effective for losing bodyfat.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto... I just went to LCHF 3 days ago and scale says i lost 7 lbs of water weight. Already feel better, more alert and sleeping well, too. White carbs and HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) are the basic "devil" carbs that i am cutting out. Carbs from vegetables are desirable, with fruit as treats only. I would recommend this way of eating to anyone who feels tired and bloated. There are many great recipes that do not include pasta, rice, potatoes and bread. BTW, roasted brussels sprouts are fantastic! Eat as many as you want! :-)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Holy crap. I cannot believe the amount of people that think they are certified nutritionists that telling you cutting carbs is unrealistic and unhealthy. It really depends on what your goals are. If you want to lose, a ketogenic lifestyle is amazing. It is not a diet and it is not a fad, it is science. I started eliminating carbs from my life in December and I am the healthiest, happiest I have ever been in my life. I don't feel bogged down and bloated. My mental clarity is phenomenal. I monitor my macros religiously and eat about 20 net carbs per day, with a bunch of protein and healthy fats. It has cleared my skin, it has given me unbelievable energy and I have lost 25 pounds in 3 months. No I do not consume bread, pasta, potatoes, or sugar. But you absolutely do not NEED those things. Please look into keto. It's benefits are phenomenal and you in no way shape or form feel deprived of food. You do not NEED sugar to live. Unbelievable. The meals that I eat are so fulfilling and delicious every single day. Green vegetables are a staple to my life.

You can see amazing benefits just by losing the extra poundage. I eat all the foods I enjoy, including bread, pasta, potatoes and sugar, and I've seen great improvement in my health, including no longer flirting with prediabetes. I'm happy, healthy, not bogged down and I never get bloated. My mental clarity is pretty sharp. I've also lost over 50lbs and have been in maintenance for several years.

To each their own, but there seems to be this misconception floating around out there that you can't lose weight and be healthy unless you're making all these extreme dieting changes. That's just not true.
  • iheartchocolate2016
    iheartchocolate2016 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting out refined sugars and finding healthy sweet alternatives, and going low carbs overall as opposed to completely cutting them out. This is very doable.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm cutting out refined sugars and finding healthy sweet alternatives, and going low carbs overall as opposed to completely cutting them out. This is very doable.

That's how I started. Then I cut out other less nutritious carbs. It's given me the room in my calorie goals to focus on eating more vegetables, with tastier toppings like cheese or olive oil.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I cannot believe the amount of people that think they are certified nutritionists that telling you cutting carbs is unrealistic and unhealthy. It really depends on what your goals are. If you want to lose, a ketogenic lifestyle is amazing. It is not a diet and it is not a fad, it is science. I started eliminating carbs from my life in December and I am the healthiest, happiest I have ever been in my life. I don't feel bogged down and bloated. My mental clarity is phenomenal. I monitor my macros religiously and eat about 20 net carbs per day, with a bunch of protein and healthy fats. It has cleared my skin, it has given me unbelievable energy and I have lost 25 pounds in 3 months. No I do not consume bread, pasta, potatoes, or sugar. But you absolutely do not NEED those things. Please look into keto. It's benefits are phenomenal and you in no way shape or form feel deprived of food. You do not NEED sugar to live. Unbelievable. The meals that I eat are so fulfilling and delicious every single day. Green vegetables are a staple to my life.

You can see amazing benefits just by losing the extra poundage. I eat all the foods I enjoy, including bread, pasta, potatoes and sugar, and I've seen great improvement in my health, including no longer flirting with prediabetes. I'm happy, healthy, not bogged down and I never get bloated. My mental clarity is pretty sharp. I've also lost over 50lbs and have been in maintenance for several years.

To each their own, but there seems to be this misconception floating around out there that you can't lose weight and be healthy unless you're making all these extreme dieting changes. That's just not true.

I agree. You have to see how your body responds to what you are eating. For my main weight-loss faze last year, 3 months of low carbs and low sugar were exactly right for my body. Months later, circumstances changed, and I found that increasing my carbs was necessary. Be open to change your approach!
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    KarlynKeto... I just went to LCHF 3 days ago and scale says i lost 7 lbs of water weight. Already feel better, more alert and sleeping well, too. White carbs and HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) are the basic "devil" carbs that i am cutting out. Carbs from vegetables are desirable, with fruit as treats only. I would recommend this way of eating to anyone who feels tired and bloated. There are many great recipes that do not include pasta, rice, potatoes and bread. BTW, roasted brussels sprouts are fantastic! Eat as many as you want! :-)

Glad it is working for you! It has opened my eyes to a world of new recipes too, and I eat more fresh foods and greens then I ever did on a SAD (Standard American Diet) way of eating. Choosing not to eat high-glycemic rich foods has been the most successful health/weight plan I have ever been on. I have lost nearly 70 pounds, something I was never able to do by simply counting calories and exercising alone. If you are insulin resistant like I am (and frankly, half the US population!) it is a great alternative to managing blood sugar through diet and not with drugs. I will never understand why this way of eating offends some people so much, but it does. There is a low-carb group you should join if you haven't already. here is the link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Have you tried cauliflower mash? I make it with a head of cooked cauliflower, melt in 3 oz cream cheese, salt/pepper and then mash. Tastes so much like mashed potatoes. It is great for when you cook for guests who are not necessarily on a low-carb/low-glycemic plan. Good luck!!!