Looking for a "lighter" way to have a cheeseburger, no tofu please!

Options
124»

Replies

• christinedegennaro7
    Options
    You can also ditch the bread all together, and use romaine as a wrap. Ground turkey, pork, or chicken is a good way to lighten it a touch instead of using beef, and substitute a favorite low-cal dressing in place of the cheese, and make sure to top it with the healthy stuff- more lettuce, onion, tomato- to bulk it up!
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you want to try a vegan burger, I LOVE this black bean burger recipe. Very quick, easy, and you can easily reduce to make just one patty to try it out.

http://sinfulnutrition.com/quick-easy-bean-burger-recipe/
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I do a Gardein beefless burger, absolutely delicious, on a toasted portabella mushroom (bun), with Dayia vegan cheese. It tastes better than the real thing! :smile:
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Here are some fast food burgers for comparison

2tw1ve9lfzds.png
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Have you tried bagel thins for a bun?
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've used Warbutons Sandwich Thins as a bun before, but I often just use brown bread cakes (which don't seem to have as much sugar in as many in the USA.

For Turkey burgers I've used the following with success, although always throw in some Worcestershire sauce:

http://www.thebodycoach.co.uk/blog/hold_tight_for_my_tasty_mcleanie_burger_74.html

http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=7010922

Other than that I always buy lean steak mince anyway, but if I want to make burgers with it I stick in some diced jalepeno and onion for a great burger, load it with cheese and ketchup and stick it on a granary bun :D
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    Here are some fast food burgers for comparison

2tw1ve9lfzds.png

All of these can easily fit into most diets with a bit of meal manipulation.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    93/7 ground meat or better (also turkey/chicken/lamb if available). add in some chopped onions/mushrooms maybe a little quinoa/black beans to soften/moisten patties. Season with cumin/coriander/chili pepper/salt/pepper/cinnamon/worcestire/garam masala. Grill as usual. Whole grain/whole wheat bun without too much sugar. sliced avocados on top with greek yogurt spread as mayo. sprinkle parmesan if wanted.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Have half a cheeseburger!

... you make me sad.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I use whole wheat Sandwich Thins instead of a bun or thick bread.

I used to use the sandwich thins, until I realized a nice, big, soft bun covered in sesame seeds or onions is only 50 calories more. I'd rather either eat a really good bun, or no bun at all!
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    4 oz lean ground turkey, 170 calories, with a bun and a slice of cheese.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Use good quality beef and mix in either cook lentils or your favorite beans mashed. Chopped cooked portobello mushroom added to the burger meat is also good. For cheese I use a slice of very thin cut cheese enough to give you flavor. I also pull out some of the guts out of the bun for less bread.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    yw4b7m3e3nu3.jpg
    rc990fh2w2i6.jpg

The only thing I cannot account for is the T of homemade ranch, made that before I started this. Probably about 20 calories for that.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Speaking of lean burgers, we don't usually have lean meat available but once I was able to get some and the burgers were dry and lacked this juicy satisfying bite. Any tips so I don't end up making something underwhelming out of a very expensive product in the future?

In my lean meat mix I add raw chopped mushroom, onion and grated carrot and sometimes powdered beef stock. Seer both sides quickly and then reduce heat and cook real slow and still turn every now n then. Sometimes I seer and stick in slow oven (covered) to finish. I try and take them off the heat just before the pink is totally gone and let resting time finish them off.
  • mistyh10
    mistyh10 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is pretty delicious as a burger...no it does not taste exactly the same but you still get that burger "fix."
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like to eat veggie burgers they help with the cravings, but if you really want a beef burger you can sub half the beef with cooked lentils or some other legume. You might not save on calories but you will save on fat and get an extra serving of vegetables
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Speaking of lean burgers, we don't usually have lean meat available but once I was able to get some and the burgers were dry and lacked this juicy satisfying bite. Any tips so I don't end up making something underwhelming out of a very expensive product in the future?

In my lean meat mix I add raw chopped mushroom, onion and grated carrot and sometimes powdered beef stock. Seer both sides quickly and then reduce heat and cook real slow and still turn every now n then. Sometimes I seer and stick in slow oven (covered) to finish. I try and take them off the heat just before the pink is totally gone and let resting time finish them off.

Thank you! If we ever buy lean meat again, at least I know how to remedy the dryness now.