Options

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Why do you care what other people do?

I don't know, I was honestly just curious. Then it became completely blown of out proportion. The reason I look at other peoples forms/movements is so that I can improve upon my own

I don't think I'd use others form as a judgement for mine. Especially since the exact movement pattern is going to vary from person to person based on bone structure, proportions, muscle origin and insertion points, and muscle balance variables.

Exactly. In addition, you really don't know what anyone else's goals are.

Finally, I think we're all guilty of ego lifting. I remember doing a deadlift rep contest that may have been ill advised but was fun as hell anyway. Always being pristine in form and goals seems a bit humourless.

Until your body hits back. I'm guilty of it when I was young. Paying for it later in life.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    Yes, all the time. I go to a 24 hour globo gym because there's no better option in my price/use range. I've been doing a lot of either heavy or explosive work lately which requires long rest periods so I tend to look around while I'm resting (people watching is fun). I see a mixture of people who are lifting way too heavy (mostly males), way too light (mostly females), doing all kinds of exercises in either an unsafe way or cheating reps (quarter squats anyone?) because the weight they're lifting is too heavy. Sometimes I have an inkling to point out the error of their ways but tend to bite my tongue as that kind of unsolicited advice from a stranger (especially a female I feel) never really goes down well.

I try not to worry too much about it and focus on doing my workouts safely and effectively. This may sound a bit harsh but survival of the fittest will likely weed them out eventually.

Thank you, that is all I was trying to say. Thanks for not lashing out, in attempts to make it as though I was saying something that I wasn't. Anyone with lifting experience is capable of telling if someone is lifting with poor or dangerous form or if they're using weights much too heavy for the movement.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,632 Member
    Options
    I was one of the ego lifters until I got hurt. Amazing how well pain teaches one to wise up.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    Example being I was doing medium rep tricep kick backs with 15s. So he decided to walk over and grab a 55lb dumbbell and then sits next to me trying to replicate the moment. All I could think of was the damage he was doing to his elbow. The pain on his face was extremely apparent. Yet he continued to slaughter the movement. So my question is, what is with people willing to hurt themselves purely to show superiority? By no way is that what we're in the gym to do, it's about better ourselves.

you lost me at tricep kick back.

It's an isolation exercise for your triceps. Performed in a similar position to single hand bent over rows done on a flat bench. You let your hand hang, perpendicular to the floor, with your upper arm parallel to the floor. From there you simply extend your arm focussing on the contraction in your tricep.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Example being I was doing medium rep tricep kick backs with 15s. So he decided to walk over and grab a 55lb dumbbell and then sits next to me trying to replicate the moment. All I could think of was the damage he was doing to his elbow. The pain on his face was extremely apparent. Yet he continued to slaughter the movement. So my question is, what is with people willing to hurt themselves purely to show superiority? By no way is that what we're in the gym to do, it's about better ourselves.

DYEisolateeachandeverymuscle?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You went to a gym and expected nobody to have an ego?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Guy with a profile photo of 3 images of himself shirtless, banging on about others ego?
    Slightly hypocritical.
    Agree with others on this, I go to the gym to train myself not to observe poor form in others.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Guy with a profile photo of 3 images of himself shirtless, banging on about others ego?
    Slightly hypocritical.
    Agree with others on this, I go to the gym to train myself not to observe poor form in others.

Couldnt have put it better myself....
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    You went to a gym and expected nobody to have an ego?

This!!!!

*surreptitiously checks oneself in the full length mirror and gives a little flex*
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I always use bumper plates, that way it only looks like I'm lifting a lot of weight.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

It's an isolation exercise for your triceps. Performed in a similar position to single hand bent over rows done on a flat bench. You let your hand hang, perpendicular to the floor, with your upper arm parallel to the floor. From there you simply extend your arm focussing on the contraction in your tricep.

I'm pretty sure @mike_bold knows what a tricep kickback is. Most likely wondering why a young male trying to gain size and strength is going low weight isolation exercises.
  • echohansen
    echohansen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ok no offense meant here but I do 4x15 tri kickbacks w 15s as well. With good form and everything. And I'm definitely not a 180 lb male lifter either - I'm female, for starters. Not saying the other guy w the 55s isn't an ego lifter, but just putting this here for some perspective...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

:blink:
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If I had my way, I'd work out in a dark room where no one could watch me.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I prefer dips to work my triceps. Honestly, kickbacks are pretty worthless, but if you have time to waste...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Why I don't miss training in a commercial gym.

Now when someone is watching it is out of respect.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

bAW HA HAH AH AHA HA HA HA HA HAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

wait.....

ha ha h ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa

hysterical.
    thank you. I totally needed that afternoon pick me up.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    "How much can 'ya tricep extend?"

So tired of hearing that question in the gym.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    If I had my way, I'd work out in a dark room where no one could watch me.

I'm having trouble reconciling these words and your profile pic.