I am controlling my boyfriend? Advice needed!

Options
Hey guys!

I've been on here for a while, usually just lurking. I mainly do this to maintain my current weight as I am pretty healthy (BMI 22.2). Here's the problem with me: I'm pretty sure I have a fat phobia. Both of my parents were/are obese and seeing them like that is disgusting to me.

My boyfriend, who I love dearly, just doesn't understand how I feel about this. He has only been gaining weight through our relationship, despite my efforts to get him to do yoga with me, to bike, etc. We make healthy (mostly vegan) dinners at home 5-6 nights week. From my perspective, his main issues are excessive drinking and over eating. Is it bad for me to try to change his lifestyle? I know he has to be the one to want it, but I'm getting frustrated. I end up saying some hurtful comments, and I don't want him to feel bad about his body. FYI, he is 6'0" 210lb. BMI is borderline obese at 28.5.

This is really important for me and I feel like it's damaging our relationship. Any advice, guys?

Replies

• SarahsFitMess
    SarahsFitMess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You can't force a change in him. He will only change his lifestyle if he wants to. You trying to force a change in him comes off as you loving him conditionally.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Agreed with PP. It sounds like you're mostly doing things right by trying to get him to be active. You're aware that you're not doing the right thing by making negative comments.

You can't change someone. You can accept him or leave him. You say you love him and feel you've got a fat phobia - can you reconcile that him having a higher BMI may just be the price of admission for having that love?

I would see a therapist about the fat phobia and also how to deal with situations when you feel the need to make hurtful comments. Yet if your bf continues down this path then maybe you two just aren't compatible, and not due to his weight but due to his approach to life when it comes to drinking too much and overeating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    An issue most guys WON'T say to their SO's is that they are being overbearing in fear of hurting their feelings. If he's truly interested, he'll do what he needs to do to lose weight. Don't hound him about it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • beckadaisy
    beckadaisy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, guys!

Winter, I am worried about us just not being compatible. I am seeing a therapist and he actually joins me once in a while, which is nice. I haven't brought up the fat phobia so maybe I will next time and how that impacts our relationship. I find I'm picking fights with him over small things, but now I'm thinking it's connected to how I feel about his weight.

I also feel like I am losing too much weight to compensate for him. I restrict more and exercise more when I see him overeating... Unfortunately that isn't good for both of us. Food for thought, more discussion for therapy hahah
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If his gaining weight is affecting your attraction to him, it is admittedly a bit of a problem you two need to talk out together. While love is unconditional, many people have limits when it comes to other things - sometimes they don't discover them until it happens.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    beckadaisy wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I've been on here for a while, usually just lurking. I mainly do this to maintain my current weight as I am pretty healthy (BMI 22.2). Here's the problem with me: I'm pretty sure I have a fat phobia. Both of my parents were/are obese and seeing them like that is disgusting to me.

My boyfriend, who I love dearly, just doesn't understand how I feel about this. He has only been gaining weight through our relationship, despite my efforts to get him to do yoga with me, to bike, etc. We make healthy (mostly vegan) dinners at home 5-6 nights week. From my perspective, his main issues are excessive drinking and over eating. Is it bad for me to try to change his lifestyle? I know he has to be the one to want it, but I'm getting frustrated. I end up saying some hurtful comments, and I don't want him to feel bad about his body. FYI, he is 6'0" 210lb. BMI is borderline obese at 28.5.

This is really important for me and I feel like it's damaging our relationship. Any advice, guys?

This is something you need to decide. There is a very good chance, this is who your boyfriend is: a guy whose lifestyle is and will remain sedentary and who will be always overweight and obese. There is no reason to think this will change if this is how he has been during your relationship. Are you ok with this? If you two are not compatible in lifestyle, is there something else connecting you? Are you attracted to him? Can you see yourself with him for years to come, with him being exactly as he is now? Loving the same things and being attracted to each other are both needed in a relationship. Do not think of ways to change him. Ask yourself if you can be happy with how he is. If not, time to go your separate ways.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Just realised how young you are, so this is not a long term relationship yet. If you are angry and need therapy to deal with a boyfriend at 20, just break up. No second thoughts. Not the end of the world.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    When you love someone, it is for fat or thin. Nothing garantees that the person you're with won't gain weight, get sick, etc. You can try to include them in your activities, but that's all. He may be doing a passive-agressive knowing you don't like him overweight. You have to resolve this issue for yourself so you can go head and have a life with someone.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I wonder what's behind this fat phobia - or, not behind it, because you mentioned your parents. It sounds like that's where it's stemmed from, but do you know exactly what it is that puts you off? That he doesn't make the effort to take care of himself? That you're afraid for his health? That you don't find him as attractive anymore? That you want someone to share your active, healthful lifestyle with? I guess I'm thinking that maybe if you figure out what it is that bothers you, you might be better able to decide how to move forward. I'd definitely suggest bringing it up with your therapist, especially because it's starting to have some detrimental physical effects.
  • drpsamin
    drpsamin Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You have to love him for who he is... You can't force someone to lose weight, they r gonna want to do it themselves.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    OP, what is "excessive" drinking? Because you might have more serious issues than him being obese.
  • Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The fat phobia (understandable) maybe brought on by your bf's lack of effort, however you might want to consider why it bothers you so much (possibly cause actual fear). Could you be worrying that eventually his lack of effort may cause you to backslide and you'll end up obese... like mom & dad? Maybe that's why you're pushing him so hard? You may feel determined for your own BMI but underneath fear losing control and giving into the temptation your boyfriend freely does? Food for thought (excuse the pun). As for excessive drinking..... no excuse for that, you have a decision to make on this matter. What is excessive today can easily turn to alcoholism later.... something you definitely don't want to be part of, no matter how much you love him! Much luck! :)
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, guys!

Winter, I am worried about us just not being compatible. I am seeing a therapist and he actually joins me once in a while, which is nice. I haven't brought up the fat phobia so maybe I will next time and how that impacts our relationship. I find I'm picking fights with him over small things, but now I'm thinking it's connected to how I feel about his weight.

I also feel like I am losing too much weight to compensate for him. I restrict more and exercise more when I see him overeating... Unfortunately that isn't good for both of us. Food for thought, more discussion for therapy hahah

May I ask why you think you have a "phobia"? Not being attracted or even being disgusted by a fat body (or a too thin body, or a hairy person etc) is normal. Not everyone has the same preferences.
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A couple things. You are so young, you shouldn't have to sweat this one, no kids (?), no home, and no long term investment. Either he is with you and your lifestyle or he is not.

Most guys aren't as sensitive as women, it is a fact. Our feelings aren't hurt as quickly so tell him straight out what you want, plain and simple, no beating around the bush. Don't crush his spirit, but be firm and decisive. (It's more attractive anyway) Be prepared however to hear exactly what he wants in return, just remember that the "Perfect partner" doesn't exist. We can come close, but there will always be some things that you will have to accept. (As I am certain he is accepting with you). If you are the very best girlfriend in the world, then you should demand the same... If you are not, then you could probably remeasure his faults in comparison.

It is confusing to most guys when a woman gets upset over the petty things, primarily when it's really about something entirely different than she is upset about. Just as guys need to remember to be more sensitive and indirect about certain subjects, women need to remember that they need to be more direct and to the point. We both have our crap that we have to work with and regardless what society wants us to believe, most of us are distinctly different animals of the same species with different methods of dealing with issues.

I wish you luck, but really, you haven't invested huge amounts of capital in this yet, be selective, but also be realistic. What are you willing to live the rest of your life with, and what are you unable to?

Once you have spent your youth finding your compatible partner, you will be more prepared to say, "through sickness and health, to death do us part".. and really mean it.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    You are 20 years old.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can not control what someone else does.
    If you have a fat phobia, that is something you have to deal with in your relationships. It is a prejudice like any other.

P.S. How would you take it if the situation were reversed?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A couple things. You are so young, you shouldn't have to sweat this one, no kids (?), no home, and no long term investment. Either he is with you and your lifestyle or he is not.

Most guys aren't as sensitive as women, it is a fact. Our feelings aren't hurt as quickly so tell him straight out what you want, plain and simple, no beating around the bush. Don't crush his spirit, but be firm and decisive. (It's more attractive anyway) Be prepared however to hear exactly what he wants in return, just remember that the "Perfect partner" doesn't exist. We can come close, but there will always be some things that you will have to accept. (As I am certain he is accepting with you). If you are the very best girlfriend in the world, then you should demand the same... If you are not, then you could probably remeasure his faults in comparison.

It is confusing to most guys when a woman gets upset over the petty things, primarily when it's really about something entirely different than she is upset about. Just as guys need to remember to be more sensitive and indirect about certain subjects, women need to remember that they need to be more direct and to the point. We both have our crap that we have to work with and regardless what society wants us to believe, most of us are distinctly different animals of the same species with different methods of dealing with issues.

I wish you luck, but really, you haven't invested huge amounts of capital in this yet, be selective, but also be realistic. What are you willing to live the rest of your life with, and what are you unable to?

Once you have spent your youth finding your compatible partner, you will be more prepared to say, "through sickness and health, to death do us part".. and really mean it.

I like this post. As someone who's been married for 30 yrs, it brings up some essential points.
  • SKILL22
    SKILL22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    best advice - Don't control your boyfriend. Won't get you anywhere in your relationship. Perhaps encourage and motivate him through your own lifestyle.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

First- Work on your fat phobia with your therapist. You are very concerned about weight even though you are a healthy weight. You are viewing people you love as disgusting because of their size. You may not be the healthiest mentally right now to guide someone in a healthy weight loss journey if you are ultra judgemental about food choices and view their weight as disgusting.

Second- You can't force people to change. You can bring up concerns about health but people have to decide things like this for themselves. It really is out of your control. (Maybe bring that up in therapy too)
    How does your boyfriend feel about his weight and lifestyle? Does he feel his weight is a problem? How long has he been overweight? Does he have depression or a bonifide drinking problem? Point him to MFP and his doctor and work on your own stuff. If you have different goals and values in life this just may not be a long term relationship. He may always Eat and drink to excess or maybe he won't. Can you live with that person either way?
    I've been married 16 years. Our bodies have changed. Neither of us look like we did in our 20's. We both gained weight. Dh was never obese. I did cross that line. It did not affect how we felt about each other. Dh told me he loved me at any size and he wanted me to be healthy and happy with myself. We have both lost weight and are healthier. It wasn't a requirement to love each other that we change.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Should be ashamed....