Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why is Freelee popular?

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    She likes to draw controversy by making videos talking about celebrities weight gain and health habits, always coming back to "all of this could be fixed with a raw vegan diet, btw buy my book raw until 4 blah blah blah". It's a shame so many people listen to her.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    She is pretty, in good shape, and promotes miracle cures.
    Freelee-wearing-watermelon-swimsuit-and-holding-watermelon.jpg
    For comparison:
    average-american-woman-size-height.jpg?w=809
    I also like that she and her boyfriend are not afraid of telling people what they think, even if it's controversial. I could totally get along with them. That is coming from a former vegan who follows a very low carb diet under 2100 calories.

so telling people they will die if they eat meat and eat fats is telling people what they think? fat shaming others even other fitness trainers that arent overweight? she is HCLF(high carb low fat) not low carb high fat.she promotes HIGH carb and raw foods until a certain time of night, then she eats even more carbs and little to no grains but those foods are cooked. she promotes eating over 5000 calories for everyone and says the high carb lifestyle will work for everyone including those with health issues and those who cant have high carbs. being vegan is one thing but being vegan and wishing harm on those who dont eat vegan or raw or whatever and calling them names is not the way to go.so you could get along with people like this? telling others that her way is the only way is also ludicrous.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Because CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHAT DOCTORS DON'T TELL YOU!
    HOW CANCER IS CAUSED BY THESE 3 FOODS THAT YOU HAVE TO CUT OUT OF YOUR DIET!
    FITNESS TRAINERS HATE HER! SEE HOW SHE CAN EAT 5000 CALORIES, LOSE FAT AND GET RIPPED WITH THIS ONE EASY TRICK!

I really wish your post linked to kitten videos. That way I could believe that laughing hard can get me ripped.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Nixygirl wrote: »
    Gah, and what's worse she's an Aussie....how embarrassing for the rest of us Aussies. :/ My partner was a big fan of this chick's dieting advice, until he finally began to understand how a balanced diet and CICO is what works in the long term. It doesn't hurt that I've lost close to 63-lbs in two and a bit months doing just that, CICO!

Yep, she's an embarrassment to our peoples :tired_face:

That's ok, we have Jane Fonda. LOL
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    She is pretty, in good shape, and promotes miracle cures.
    Freelee-wearing-watermelon-swimsuit-and-holding-watermelon.jpg

Why is she posing with food in a BATHROOM?
    desismileys_0483.gif

It's after 4?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Nixygirl wrote: »
    Gah, and what's worse she's an Aussie....how embarrassing for the rest of us Aussies. :/ My partner was a big fan of this chick's dieting advice, until he finally began to understand how a balanced diet and CICO is what works in the long term. It doesn't hurt that I've lost close to 63-lbs in two and a bit months doing just that, CICO!

Yep, she's an embarrassment to our peoples :tired_face:

That's ok, we have Jane Fonda. LOL

:laugh: I like the modern day Jane Fonda much better than her earlier days. Although the only thing I see from her are movies. Is she vocal in America?

As for that Freelee, by the looks of the first video, she lives in my hometown. I might have to start stalking her. Because my BS radar is on high alert with that one... Does she really eat what she says and that many calories.. Hhhhmmmm
  • troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    JShailen wrote: »
    It worries me that so many will actually follow her advice. That people would take nutritional advice from random youtube nuts makes me fear for the human race. :/

My thoughts exactly. I find it concerning that people disregard science and actual professionals for instagram and youtube.

Hey doctors and scientists, did you know your jobs were going to be replaced by social media? Yeah we don't need your scientific mumbo jumbo. I mean, I don't know what saccharides are, or ketones but that Freelee chick and the like are HAWT!
  • KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    If you are confident enough and engaging enough, you can sell anybody on an idea, no matter how stupid. People aren't interested in what works, just what works quickly. Her boyfriend is an equally big nutjob, DurianRider. Neither of these people deserve attention.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Even the pro-ED [eating disorder] websites hate her. And also are under the impression she has an eating disorder. /rummaged around on the sites for her research paper
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Cause wack jobs are great entertainment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    FITNESS TRAINERS HATE HER! SEE HOW SHE CAN EAT 5000 CALORIES, LOSE FAT AND GET RIPPED WITH THIS ONE EASY TRICK!

I really wish your post linked to kitten videos. That way I could believe that laughing hard can get me ripped.

Missed an opportunity.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    troutlilly wrote: »
    2. Science has shown how diets with lower carb and higher fat are healthier than higher carb and lower fat diets. Yes, plant-based diets are healthier, but meat in itself isn't unhealthy.
    There's NO such science that shows low carb is healthier. Plus you contradict yourself by saying plant-based diets are healthier. A whole foods plant-based diet is automatically going to be higher carb - grains, legumes, fruits, veggies, unless one eats lots of nuts and added oils.

I eat a plant-based diet of mainly whole foods (I do a bit of ice cream and chocolate once a week) and it ends up on average at 75% carbs. I don't eat lots of fats and oils because they tend to raise my cholesterol. And despite the high carbs, my most recent fasting blood glucose was 70 mg/dl (normal is 65-99). And, I've lost 34 lbs doing high carb and now maintaining at 118 lbs, achieved by staying fairly active and on about 1700 calories since the beginning.

I think the reason Freelee is popular is primarily due to her very lean physique on a high carb diet as well a substantial calorie intake. She has definitely proved over the years that carbs don't make you fat. I disagree with some of her positions (like 'smash in the calories'), but she definitely helped me overcome carb-phobia from my miserable low carb paleo days.
  • troutlilly
    2. Science has shown how diets with lower carb and higher fat are healthier than higher carb and lower fat diets. Yes, plant-based diets are healthier, but meat in itself isn't unhealthy.
    There's NO such science that shows low carb is healthier. Plus you contradict yourself by saying plant-based diets are healthier. A whole foods plant-based diet is automatically going to be higher carb - grains, legumes, fruits, veggies, unless one eats lots of nuts and added oils.

I eat a plant-based diet of mainly whole foods (I do a bit of ice cream and chocolate once a week) and it ends up on average at 75% carbs. I don't eat lots of fats and oils because they tend to raise my cholesterol. And despite the high carbs, my most recent fasting blood glucose was 70 mg/dl (normal is 65-99). And, I've lost 34 lbs doing high carb and now maintaining at 118 lbs, achieved by staying fairly active and on about 1700 calories since the beginning.

I think the reason Freelee is popular is primarily due to her very lean physique on a high carb diet as well a substantial calorie intake. She has definitely proved over the years that carbs don't make you fat. I disagree with some of her positions (like 'smash in the calories'), but she definitely helped me overcome carb-phobia from my miserable low carb paleo days.

No, I didn't contradict myself. Here are a few of the studies:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa022207
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa022637
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-012-2567-4
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/1/23.long

I found at least 30 more, but for the sake of avoiding TL;DR, every study found that low carb was more effective in weight loss compared to low fat.

It's very possible to eat a plant-based diet consisting of low carb or lower carbs (for those who want their bread fix). There is a wide variety of low carb grains, such as ancient grains, along with a plethora of low carb vegetables which provide high fiber and high nutritional content.

It's nice when a person is able to eat higher carbs and retain good health, but for people like me with underlying metabolic health issues, lower carb is better. But that wasn't the point of this thread-- the point was discussing why Freelee is so popular and how she clearly misused scientific evidence.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2016

No, I didn't contradict myself. Here are a few of the studies:.....
    I found at least 30 more, but for the sake of avoiding TL;DR, every study found that low carb was more effective in weight loss compared to low fat.
    I'm not interested in which diet is better for weightloss. Your initial point #2 said low carb diets are healthier which is what I was disputing. You're conflating 2 separate issues. Diets of different macros can be equally healthy as long as they provide the essential vitamins and minerals we need.
    It's very possible to eat a plant-based diet consisting of low carb or lower carbs ...
    It's possible but completely unnecessary. Whole grains, legumes, fruits, starchy veg are all high carb and nutrient dense, ie. healthy. We're talking about potatoes, beans, lentils, rice, etc, not donuts and processed junk food. As far as weightloss, everyone on MFP knows that regardless of what macros you prefer, as long as your calories out exceed calories in, you will lose weight.
    It's nice when a person is able to eat higher carbs and retain good health, but for people like me with underlying metabolic health issues, lower carb is better. But that wasn't the point of this thread-- the point was discussing why Freelee is so popular and how she clearly misused scientific evidence.
    Oh so you have health issues that don't allow you to eat high carbs? That's probably how you became convinced that high carbs are therefore unhealthy for everyone. And yes Freelee does demonstrate that you can eat a very high amount of carbs and be healthy (with labs to prove it) and ultra slim. There are also rural populations around the world who subsist on high starch diets of potatoes, grains, rice, corn, legumes, fruits and have very low levels of obesity and western type chronic diseases.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Because crazy and risky is fun and science and trusted sources is boring? I think different approaches appeal to different segments of the population, based on personality - for instance adrenaline junkie vs timid, authority compliance vs rebellious, go with the flow vs independence, rational vs emotional, and feeling comfortable with different degrees of abstraction. The same person can also have oppsite traits for different areas of life, and they may change over time.

Wow, I'll PM you my credit card number....it's all yours!
    SEND MY MIRACLE PROGRAM!
  • troutlilly
    There are numerous studies citing lower carb diets are effective, and are healthier than higher carb diets.
    . There are also rural populations around the world who subsist on high starch diets of potatoes, grains, rice, corn, legumes, fruits and have very low levels of obesity and western type chronic diseases.

Yet, their lifestyles are entirely different from those of Western cultures. If a person lives in a rural country in Southeast Asia and they work in manual labor, they need those carbs for energy. In addition, people in these areas have more varied diets than people from Western countries, and they incorporate more vegetables and fish-- rather than eating lots of meat-- and cook their food differently. The people who don't work in manual labor are still considerably more active than people in Western countries. The amount processed sugars and carbs the typical American eats in one meal is comparatively larger than the typical meal eaten by the people in those areas. That's why the incidence of obesity and chronic diseases is lower.

The question is, are they eating like Freelee? Are they eating "monomeals," consisting of one food only at a minimum of 1,000 calories? That's what Freelee advocates eating. Is there scientific research to back up her claims which are easily generalized to the rest of the population? Or even a large subset of the population?

The problem with Freelee is she's using her testimonials and personal success to override the scientific research that was out there for years and years before she was on social media. Misinterpreting major data from the WHO to advance herself is pretty low.
  • troutlilly
    Because crazy and risky is fun and science and trusted sources is boring? I think different approaches appeal to different segments of the population, based on personality - for instance adrenaline junkie vs timid, authority compliance vs rebellious, go with the flow vs independence, rational vs emotional, and feeling comfortable with different degrees of abstraction. The same person can also have oppsite traits for different areas of life, and they may change over time.

Wow, I'll PM you my credit card number....it's all yours!
    SEND MY MIRACLE PROGRAM!

Honestly I have to say, I'm surprised Freelee hasn't tried this strategy.