Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

World’s obese population hits 641 million, global study finds

Options

Replies

• BroScience83
    BroScience83 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    technically i am obese so......
  • troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's the overabundance of food that's the problem. It's the fact people haven't adjusted their eating habits to meet their lifestyles.

If a person's lifestyle has a TDEE of 1,900 calories, then they have a desk job sitting and they sat in the car to get there but eat 2,500 calories a day, of course they're going to gain weight. The second problem is people don't want to feel deprived. After all, if their coworker whose metabolism is through the roof can eat the catered lunch swimming in oils and sauces like it's nobody's business, why can't they?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Another thought on all of this: I know very few people who come from families who have been wealthy for more than one generation who are obese, or even very overweight. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is one problem that will slowly fix itself even if that takes a couple of generations. What this "problem" really tells me is that fewer people at risk of starving, and that's a good thing.
  • troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Another thought on all of this: I know very few people who come from families who have been wealthy for more than one generation who are obese, or even very overweight. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is one problem that will slowly fix itself even if that takes a couple of generations. What this "problem" really tells me is that fewer people at risk of starving, and that's a good thing.

Do you think this possibly precipitates a famine?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

In America, I argue that there are very few who do not have access to food. The issue is having access to "quality" food. High calorie pre-packaged foods with fewer micronutrients is cheap. Those with limited funds will obviously buy what is cheapest. Of course, any food with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is ultimately subsidized through the USDA. I'm pretty sure my state is the largest producer of corn (if not #1, we are really close); and I know all the big farmers around me get big money for corn. That's why they don't rotate crops anymore like the last generation did.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    They rotate with soybeans here--the big industrial farms particularly. Central Illinois is a big patch of alternating corn and soybeans. They don't do that in Iowa?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    They rotate with soybeans here--the big industrial farms particularly. Central Illinois is a big patch of alternating corn and soybeans. They don't do that in Iowa?

Some do, but many don't. They might start again very soon because of corn prices (there is such a huge surplus, so no big surprise). For the last decade or 2, some farmers have been planting corn every year because it pays so well.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options

A very, very small percentage of people carry enough LBM to be considered obese at a healthy fat percentage. These are stats on the average person, not gym rats.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

In America, I argue that there are very few who do not have access to food. The issue is having access to "quality" food. High calorie pre-packaged foods with fewer micronutrients is cheap. Those with limited funds will obviously buy what is cheapest. Of course, any food with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is ultimately subsidized through the USDA. I'm pretty sure my state is the largest producer of corn (if not #1, we are really close); and I know all the big farmers around me get big money for corn. That's why they don't rotate crops anymore like the last generation did.

I'm not sure what you mean by "very few" but here is the overview.

source: http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/1896841/err194.pdf

• In 2014, 86.0 percent of U.S. households were food secure throughout the year. The remaining 14.0 percent (17.4 million households) were food insecure. Food-insecure house- holds (those with low and very low food security) had dif culty at some time during the year providing enough food for all their members due to a lack of resources. The changes from 2013 (14.3 percent) and 2012 (14.5 percent) to 2014 were not statistically signi cant; however, the cumulative decline from 14.9 percent in 2011 was statistically signicant.

• In 2014, 5.6 percent of U.S. households (6.9 million households) had very low food security, unchanged from 5.6 percent in 2013. In this more severe range of food insecurity, the food intake of some household members was reduced and normal eating patterns were disrupted at times during the year due to limited resources.

• Children were food insecure at times during the year in 9.4 percent of U.S. households with children (3.7 million households), essentially unchanged from 9.9 percent in 2013. These households were unable at times during the year to provide adequate, nutritious food for their children.

• While children are usually shielded from the disrupted eating patterns and reduced food intake that char- acterize very low food security, both children and adults experienced instances of very low food security in 1.1 percent of households with children (422,000 households) in 2014. The changes from both 2013 and 2012 were not statistically signi cant.

• For households with incomes near or below the Federal poverty line, households with children headed by single women or single men, women living alone, and Black- and Hispanic-headed households, the rates of food insecurity were substantially higher than the national average. In addition, the food insecurity rate was highest in rural areas, moderate in large cities, and lowest in suburban and exurban areas around large cities.

• The prevalence of food insecurity varied considerably from State to State. Estimated prevalence of food insecurity in 2012-14 ranged from 8.4 percent in North Dakota to 22.0 percent in Mississippi; estimated prevalence rates of very low food security ranged from 2.9 percent in North Dakota to 8.1 percent in Arkansas. (Data for 3 years were combined to provide more reliable State-level statistics.)

• The typical (median) food-secure household spent 26 percent more for food than the typical food-insecure household of the same size and composition, including food purchased with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) bene ts (formerly the Food Stamp Program).

• Sixty-one percent of food-insecure households in the survey reported that in the previous month, they had participated in one or more of the three largest Federal food and nutrition assistance programs (SNAP; Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC); and National School Lunch Program).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Don't they do free breakfasts/lunches in schools in America for kids that don't have access to food or decent food?
    I think that's a wonderful idea, we don't have anything like it in Australia.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Don't they do free breakfasts/lunches in schools in America for kids that don't have access to food or decent food?

Yes and no. It's often the working poor or those who have accumulated a lot of debt who fall through the cracks even with programs like that. It's better than nothing though and much better system than it was when I was a kid growing up.

Ahh ok, so you have to fit a certain criteria to qualify for this, it's not for every single kid?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

See the stats I posted above.

• Sixty-one percent of food-insecure households in the survey reported that in the previous month, they had participated in one or more of the three largest Federal food and nutrition assistance programs (SNAP; Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC); and National School Lunch Program).

One has to sign up for the free lunch program so if a kid's parents are homeless, drug addicts, generally incompetent or just stupid, then the kid is SOL. There are still plenty of kids in the U.S. who are SOL for these reasons.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »

A very, very small percentage of people carry enough LBM to be considered obese at a healthy fat percentage. These are stats on the average person, not gym rats.

Yep, talking D1 or NFL linebacker range.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Arnold Schwarzenegger in his hey day would be classed as obese by bmi standards..
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Yes and no. It's often the working poor or those who have accumulated a lot of debt who fall through the cracks even with programs like that. It's better than nothing though and much better system than it was when I was a kid growing up.

Ahh ok, so you have to fit a certain criteria to qualify for this, it's not for every single kid?

Varies. State law here in Oklahoma provides free breakfast to every child in elementary school. They come to school in the morning, they all have breakfast. It's possible to get reduced price lunches by income need.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

Christine, in Australia it varies from school to school rather than a state funded program. Where I grew up a mostly low to lower middle class area, both my primary and highschool had breakfast programs, and so did a few other in the area. I don't know if it's as common now though.

Come to think of it, so did my university. It might have been vegemite on toast or weetbix, but it was better than nothing.
  • Christine_72
    edited April 2016
    Options

Christine, in Australia it varies from school to school rather than a state funded program. Where I grew up a mostly low to lower middle class area, both my primary and highschool had breakfast programs, and so did a few other in the area. I don't know if it's as common now though.

Come to think of it, so did my university. It might have been vegemite on toast or weetbix, but it was better than nothing.

Wow I had no idea. Never had anything like it when I was in school, or when my kids were there.
    It could be different in the poorer suburbs, I haven't looked into it.

• irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Wow I had no idea. Never had anything like it when I was in school, or when my kids were there.
    It could be different in the poorer suburbs, I haven't looked into it.

Australian Red Cross currently has a Good Start Breakfast club which operates in over 200 schools nation wide.

Foodbank in conjunction with the Victorian state government provide breakfast to 500 schools in the state.