Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do People not Understand what Debate Means?

Options
rileysowner
rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
I have seen repeated posts in the debate forums that are not topics for debate, they are questions about weight-loss of lack of it, exercise, and diet, that is, how to and why questions, not what do you think about this topic of debate. That leads to the question in the title, "Do people not understand the meaning of the word "debate"?"

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    UR such a h8tr. Don't you know we're all here for the same reason?
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

So you are saying they do, or they don't?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Lol Not everyone is on the same page. Interwebz forums can be a confusing place.
    It's only the newbies that seem to post random things here. If they hang around for a while I'm sure they'll get into the groove of how these forums work.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I must admit I have never read the FAQ's on any forums :embarassed:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

So you are saying they do, or they don't?

Smart alecky answer: I'm gonna report u

Honest answer: No, most people don't understand. They dive headfirst without looking. That's why we see the same questions repeated ad nauseum when 5 minutes 30 seconds of searching would answer the question, that's why we have mean people threads, that's why it's clear that most people don't even read the threads at all - they just drive by.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nope. It's this whole "coddle me and hold my hand and don't ever say anything that may question what I think is true" way of passing through life. All types of misinformation stands and those who back up their thoughts are slapped around because they refuse to roll a dung ball in sugar and rebrand it as a truffle.

ETA: I realized this wasn't really what OP was asking, but it does run a similar thread. As for choosing which forum to post in, people are probably choosing one that either looks active, or looks to be close enough. I find it increasingly complicated to get people to understand what critical thinking is and then to develop that skill, takes time and practice. I believe that schools are cramming students so full of knowledge and that everything they may want to know is right at their fingertips. People just ask without seeking the answers or really questioning if the answers make sense.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's the old "I just gave my opinion, I don't know why this turned into a debate!" that gets me. But between the stckied post, the word Debate in the title of the board, and even adding a disclaimer to my clean eating thread, I don't see what else can be done other than letting the mods move what needs to be moved.
  • Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's the internet does anyone understand anything?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Lewisg51 wrote: »

I don't understand.
  • Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

I don't understand.

I see what you did there B)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I must admit I have never read the FAQ's on any forums :embarassed:

That's funny. I usually look through it before even making an account. But then, I'm the kind of person who lurks for a couple of weeks to see if the board is right for me and prefers to find the answer to a question if I can if the resources are there.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I usually skim pinned stuff when I start on a new message board. Many I have been part of in the past have required reading a list of guidelines before being able to access the message area. Not that some people just skip reading it, but if it is short, has a timer and a requirement to scroll to the bottom, it could help. I just think people don't actually get the debate thing.
  • rileysowner
    Options

I don't understand.

I disagree.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

I don't understand.

I disagree.

YES!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I have seen repeated posts in the debate forums that are not topics for debate, they are questions about weight-loss of lack of it, exercise, and diet, that is, how to and why questions, not what do you think about this topic of debate. That leads to the question in the title, "Do people not understand the meaning of the word "debate"?"

When I see threads that don't belong in the forum in which they were posted, I Flag > Report > Other and ask that they be moved to the appropriate forum.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Yes, to argue. Have you ever tried to argue with someone who won't argue back? It sucks. That type of conduct had no place in this board.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I don't understand.

I disagree.

YES!

See we have a debate going already ;-)
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

I don't understand.

I disagree.

YES!

If your position had a leg to stand on, we might :tongue:
  • rileysowner
    Options

I don't understand.

I disagree.

YES!

If your position had a leg to stand on, we might :tongue:

My name is not Bob. I have a perfectly good leg to stand my argument on once I find that table leg I misplaced.