Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Why is Freelee popular?

1356710

Replies

  • Christine_72Christine_72 Member Posts: 16,056 Member Member Posts: 16,056 Member
    troutlilly wrote: »
    Because crazy and risky is fun and science and trusted sources is boring? I think different approaches appeal to different segments of the population, based on personality - for instance adrenaline junkie vs timid, authority compliance vs rebellious, go with the flow vs independence, rational vs emotional, and feeling comfortable with different degrees of abstraction. The same person can also have oppsite traits for different areas of life, and they may change over time.
    Because CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHAT DOCTORS DON'T TELL YOU!
    HOW CANCER IS CAUSED BY THESE 3 FOODS THAT YOU HAVE TO CUT OUT OF YOUR DIET!
    FITNESS TRAINERS HATE HER! SEE HOW SHE CAN EAT 5000 CALORIES, LOSE FAT AND GET RIPPED WITH THIS ONE EASY TRICK!

    Wow, I'll PM you my credit card number....it's all yours!
    SEND MY MIRACLE PROGRAM!

    Honestly I have to say, I'm surprised Freelee hasn't tried this strategy.

    Yeah, Does anyone know how her and her BF make their money?? They've got be getting some monetary gain from their videos...
  • eric_sg61eric_sg61 Member Posts: 2,931 Member Member Posts: 2,931 Member
    troutlilly wrote: »
    troutlilly wrote: »
    2. Science has shown how diets with lower carb and higher fat are healthier than higher carb and lower fat diets. Yes, plant-based diets are healthier, but meat in itself isn't unhealthy.
    There's NO such science that shows low carb is healthier. Plus you contradict yourself by saying plant-based diets are healthier. A whole foods plant-based diet is automatically going to be higher carb - grains, legumes, fruits, veggies, unless one eats lots of nuts and added oils.

    I eat a plant-based diet of mainly whole foods (I do a bit of ice cream and chocolate once a week) and it ends up on average at 75% carbs. I don't eat lots of fats and oils because they tend to raise my cholesterol. And despite the high carbs, my most recent fasting blood glucose was 70 mg/dl (normal is 65-99). And, I've lost 34 lbs doing high carb and now maintaining at 118 lbs, achieved by staying fairly active and on about 1700 calories since the beginning.

    I think the reason Freelee is popular is primarily due to her very lean physique on a high carb diet as well a substantial calorie intake. She has definitely proved over the years that carbs don't make you fat. I disagree with some of her positions (like 'smash in the calories'), but she definitely helped me overcome carb-phobia from my miserable low carb paleo days.

    No, I didn't contradict myself. Here are a few of the studies:

    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa022207
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa022637
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-012-2567-4
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/1/23.long

    I found at least 30 more, but for the sake of avoiding TL;DR, every study found that low carb was more effective in weight loss compared to low fat.

    It's very possible to eat a plant-based diet consisting of low carb or lower carbs (for those who want their bread fix). There is a wide variety of low carb grains, such as ancient grains, along with a plethora of low carb vegetables which provide high fiber and high nutritional content.

    It's nice when a person is able to eat higher carbs and retain good health, but for people like me with underlying metabolic health issues, lower carb is better. But that wasn't the point of this thread-- the point was discussing why Freelee is so popular and how she clearly misused scientific evidence.

    Sorry, but where protein is matched low carb doesn't result in more weight loss.

    Here is a good low carb vs high carb.................guess who does the low carb and has deteriorating health.
    B3VB2s5CYAANMEu.jpg
  • CharlieBeansmomTraceyCharlieBeansmomTracey Member Posts: 7,702 Member Member Posts: 7,702 Member
    She is pretty, in good shape, and promotes miracle cures.
    Freelee-wearing-watermelon-swimsuit-and-holding-watermelon.jpg
    For comparison:
    average-american-woman-size-height.jpg?w=809
    I also like that she and her boyfriend are not afraid of telling people what they think, even if it's controversial. I could totally get along with them. That is coming from a former vegan who follows a very low carb diet under 2100 calories.

    so telling people they will die if they eat meat and eat fats is telling people what they think? fat shaming others even other fitness trainers that arent overweight? she is HCLF(high carb low fat) not low carb high fat.she promotes HIGH carb and raw foods until a certain time of night, then she eats even more carbs and little to no grains but those foods are cooked. she promotes eating over 5000 calories for everyone and says the high carb lifestyle will work for everyone including those with health issues and those who cant have high carbs. being vegan is one thing but being vegan and wishing harm on those who dont eat vegan or raw or whatever and calling them names is not the way to go.so you could get along with people like this? telling others that her way is the only way is also ludicrous.

    I do indeed realize that, Tracey. She might give me a lecture on how clogged my arteries are and how I'm obviously about to die, but I really do think Freelee and I (along with her boyfriend) could get along.

    Cassey Ho has fat-shamed others in the past too (even children) and uses her old skinny pictures to try to sell her fitness stuff. She got lazy and decided to play the victim.

    http://groupthink.kinja.com/the-problem-with-blogilates-the-fat-shamer-is-fat-sham-1700126046

    I dont know where cassey ho came into the subject. but I have never seen any of her videos shaming anyone(I have watched them from time to time and,never saw any negative FB things either. and as for the article written,it looks to be a blogger who has written the article which means they could be a supporter of freelee and twisted words.I have seen the video in question and freelee has many times fat shamed cassey.who says she has fat shamed kids? she was also in bikini competitions when younger and admits that she didnt eat as healthy as she should have per her trainer.she doesnt use skinny pics to sell her fitness stuff.please show me any of the stuff where she fat shamed children and so on,so I can see for myself because I have never seen any of these things. I have though from freelee,not to mention I know that person who wrote the blog from somewhere. cant remember where though but if its the same one Im thinking about she loves controversy and causing uproars
    edited April 2016
  • troutlillytroutlilly Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    I have no idea what that guy's diet actually IS (or who he even is).

    I'm wondering where the scientific data is to substantiate the claims that "fruitarianism" or eating very high carb-low fat-low protein diets like Freelee's are effective or healthy. So far, just personal testimonials from social media.

    THAT is why I started this post, and I don't see the point in posting pictures of fat vegetarians vs. lean omnivores or fat low carbers vs. slim 150-grams per day carbers. I mean, I could post a picture of myself losing weight eating low carb but that wouldn't really accomplish much.

    eta: I'm also a little disturbed by the fact Freelee has amenorrhea from her diet. Don't people think that's a problem?
    edited April 2016
  • Gianfranco_RGianfranco_R Member Posts: 1,297 Member Member Posts: 1,297 Member
    troutlilly wrote: »
    Because crazy and risky is fun and science and trusted sources is boring? I think different approaches appeal to different segments of the population, based on personality - for instance adrenaline junkie vs timid, authority compliance vs rebellious, go with the flow vs independence, rational vs emotional, and feeling comfortable with different degrees of abstraction. The same person can also have oppsite traits for different areas of life, and they may change over time.
    Because CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHAT DOCTORS DON'T TELL YOU!
    HOW CANCER IS CAUSED BY THESE 3 FOODS THAT YOU HAVE TO CUT OUT OF YOUR DIET!
    FITNESS TRAINERS HATE HER! SEE HOW SHE CAN EAT 5000 CALORIES, LOSE FAT AND GET RIPPED WITH THIS ONE EASY TRICK!

    Wow, I'll PM you my credit card number....it's all yours!
    SEND MY MIRACLE PROGRAM!

    Honestly I have to say, I'm surprised Freelee hasn't tried this strategy.

    Yeah, Does anyone know how her and her BF make their money?? They've got be getting some monetary gain from their videos...

    Google gives to their youtube "partners" a percentage of the advertising revenue they generate. So, yes, with more than 600,000 subscribers, she surely gains pretty well.
  • stevencloserstevencloser Member Posts: 8,917 Member Member Posts: 8,917 Member
    troutlilly wrote: »
    I have no idea what that guy's diet actually IS (or who he even is).

    I'm wondering where the scientific data is to substantiate the claims that "fruitarianism" or eating very high carb-low fat-low protein diets like Freelee's are effective or healthy. So far, just personal testimonials from social media.

    THAT is why I started this post, and I don't see the point in posting pictures of fat vegetarians vs. lean omnivores or fat low carbers vs. slim 150-grams per day carbers. I mean, I could post a picture of myself losing weight eating low carb but that wouldn't really accomplish much.

    eta: I'm also a little disturbed by the fact Freelee has amenorrhea from her diet. Don't people think that's a problem?

    They're not, but no one is saying that. There's not just two options, one being 80/10/10 fruitarian and the other below 50g per day carbs.
  • psycho_melpsycho_mel Member Posts: 8 Member Member Posts: 8 Member
    Freelee is uneducated but preaches like she knows everything! She has no idea how the human body works and she will attack anyone who doesnt agree with her! Its truly sad that people this stupid are allowed to share their idiotic ideas
  • msf74msf74 Member Posts: 3,498 Member Member Posts: 3,498 Member
    Because she has the type of look that a certain demographic favour and for some people the way they look is their main, if not only, goal.

    Many people will be convinced by someone who looks good even if they are spouting absolute garbage...
  • lisawinning4losinglisawinning4losing Member Posts: 732 Member Member Posts: 732 Member
    Good article.

    "While at first blush the three approaches seem sharply divergent, Trager sounds a conciliatory note. 'No one has ever bothered to point out that we are compatriots on many points,' he says. All three nutritionists share an emphasis on reducing blood-sugar spikes by reducing the glycemic load. Moreover, all three condemn trans fats, white flour, and sugar. 'There really is universal agreement that you should cut those things out of your diet,' Trager says."

    Look, universal agreement among experts that junk food is bad for you. Amazing.
    edited April 2016
  • lisawinning4losinglisawinning4losing Member Posts: 732 Member Member Posts: 732 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    Because she has the type of look that a certain demographic favour and for some people the way they look is their main, if not only, goal.

    Many people will be convinced by someone who looks good even if they are spouting absolute garbage...

    Yeah, it seems that knowing how to whale on your pecs or your abs somehow equates to having some kind of scientific expertise. Even when every scientist disagrees with you.
  • Traveler120Traveler120 Member Posts: 712 Member Member Posts: 712 Member
    troutlilly wrote: »
    I have no idea what that guy's diet actually IS (or who he even is).
    The fat guy in that picture is Jimmy Moore of 'livin la vida low-carb' fame. He makes money selling books etc preaching the health benefits of low carb dieting. He also has horrible cholesterol for years on his diet and is still obese despite his low carb diet which you continue to insist is the healthiest. I bet he also has insulin resistance just like you do.

    The lean guy is Freelee's bf Durianrider. He eats a high carb diet and has posted his labs showing normal ranges in all categories from lipids, blood glucose, A1C, metabolic panel etc.
    edited April 2016
  • _lyndseybrooke__lyndseybrooke_ Member Posts: 2,562 Member Member Posts: 2,562 Member
    She's a spokesperson for veganism and the vegans seem to worship this chick. She's attractive and has a decent body, so of course she knows what she's talking about, right? And she's controversial, which is interesting to a lot of people.

    I personally find her and her boyfriend incredibly annoying, so I don't watch their videos very often. I do know that she is constantly posting response videos for the sole purpose of making non-vegans feel bad about themselves (such as the Blogilates chick, Jenna Marbles, etc.), and her non-preachy videos are of her shopping for bananas and doing a crap ton of bike riding. Yawn.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 25,883 Member Member Posts: 25,883 Member
    She's a spokesperson for veganism and the vegans seem to worship this chick. She's attractive and has a decent body, so of course she knows what she's talking about, right? And she's controversial, which is interesting to a lot of people.

    I personally find her and her boyfriend incredibly annoying, so I don't watch their videos very often. I do know that she is constantly posting response videos for the sole purpose of making non-vegans feel bad about themselves (such as the Blogilates chick, Jenna Marbles, etc.), and her non-preachy videos are of her shopping for bananas and doing a crap ton of bike riding. Yawn.

    No, she's actually pretty controversial in the vegan community. Many of us completely reject her -- both for accuracy and for tone.

    Don't confuse her popularity within her subset (HCLF) for actual popularity among vegans. She's a spokesperson for a particular subset of veganism.
  • troutlillytroutlilly Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    I bet he also has insulin resistance just like you do.

    Nice try, but no cigar. I actually don't have insulin resistance :)
  • troutlillytroutlilly Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    She's a spokesperson for veganism and the vegans seem to worship this chick. She's attractive and has a decent body, so of course she knows what she's talking about, right? And she's controversial, which is interesting to a lot of people.

    I personally find her and her boyfriend incredibly annoying, so I don't watch their videos very often. I do know that she is constantly posting response videos for the sole purpose of making non-vegans feel bad about themselves (such as the Blogilates chick, Jenna Marbles, etc.), and her non-preachy videos are of her shopping for bananas and doing a crap ton of bike riding. Yawn.

    No, she's actually pretty controversial in the vegan community. Many of us completely reject her -- both for accuracy and for tone.

    Don't confuse her popularity within her subset (HCLF) for actual popularity among vegans. She's a spokesperson for a particular subset of veganism.

    Most people I've talked to who are vegans have more varied diets than Freelee.
  • Traveler120Traveler120 Member Posts: 712 Member Member Posts: 712 Member
    troutlilly wrote: »
    I'm wondering where the scientific data is to substantiate the claims that "fruitarianism" or eating very high carb-low fat-low protein diets like Freelee's are effective or healthy. So far, just personal testimonials from social media.

    eta: I'm also a little disturbed by the fact Freelee has amenorrhea from her diet. Don't people think that's a problem?
    I looked this up. She said she lost her period for several months after going raw vegan. It came back and she says it's lighter and painless compared to before when it was heavy and painful. Her diet has evolved since then to include cooked foods and even some junk food gathering from the video below.
  • Traveler120Traveler120 Member Posts: 712 Member Member Posts: 712 Member
    troutlilly wrote: »
    I bet he also has insulin resistance just like you do.
    Nice try, but no cigar. I actually don't have insulin resistance :)
    Ok, I was basing that on your statement:

    "for people like me with underlying metabolic health issues, lower carb is better."

    Usually it seems most people with metabolic problems like blood sugar issues (insulin resistance) usually opt for low carb diets. If that's not the case for you, then my bad. Sorry.

    Out of curiosity, d'you mind if I ask what metabolic health issues you were referring to that require low carb?
  • troutlillytroutlilly Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    troutlilly wrote: »
    I bet he also has insulin resistance just like you do.
    Nice try, but no cigar. I actually don't have insulin resistance :)
    Ok, I was basing that on your statement:

    "for people like me with underlying metabolic health issues, lower carb is better."

    Usually it seems most people with metabolic problems like blood sugar issues (insulin resistance) usually opt for low carb diets. If that's not the case for you, then my bad. Sorry.

    Out of curiosity, d'you mind if I ask what metabolic health issues you were referring to that require low carb?

    I have PCOS and at one point when I weighed about the same and had different eating habits, my blood test said I was borderline prediabetic. The doctor gave me Metformin. After gaining weight again I changed my diet and lost the weight gain. My blood sugar is significantly lower and I didn't have to use meds.
  • nickie153nickie153 Member Posts: 3 Member Member Posts: 3 Member
    Because she's different and pretty. Her main audience is young girls who want to lose weight and fit in, so when a pretty blond tells them to eat all the carbs and lose weight, they believe it. I really dislike her, because her information is so wrong! I am a mostly raw vegan and because of her, when I tell people that, they think I'm kooky as hell. Whenever she says that you must eat 2500+ calories a day if you are woman to lose weight and 3000+ minimum for men, it makes me cringe. I never ate that many calories and still gained tons of weight by eating this way, and her misinformation makes the journey much harder than it needs to be.
Sign In or Register to comment.