Fit in your 40s, The struggle is real!

Options
For those of you of a more mature age, what works for you when attempting to lose weight? I have been struggling for months trying to lose 12 pounds. I have always been able to keep my weight in check through diet and exercise but now in my mid 40s, my weight is creeping up and what use to work, doesn't anymore.

Replies

• SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well, i will be 40 this year and lost weight over the past 2 years - consistent and accurate logging is key! if you log consistently and accurately as possible and be honest and follow the calorie amount MFP gives you, you should lose weight. it doesn't happen overnight, and is not always a consistent loss but it will happen. patience is your best friend :D
  • jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Agree. It is staying focused and consistent. I am 41, and in the best shape of my life - but I work at it every day. I log even when I am at maintenance weight. (otherwise, it will come back!)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit works.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Age is nothing to do with your ability to lose weight. There are people who are active in their 70s and 80s.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Digital food scale with a TARE button. Get one. Use it.

And personally a fan of higher intensity cardio, but that isn't required.

45, down 42 pounds in 4 months.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Im 41, am as fit and lean as when i was 20. Its just as easy. Its all about being active and controlling eating(calories). Most people are not as active as they get older and when your sitting around the house it easier to eat more than when your out doing activities. That the real reason people gain weight as they get older.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP in my 50s, lost 30 pounds in less than four months, have maintained that loss for more than two years. Have had periods with more and less exercise, and different types of exercise, throughout.

So, what worked for me was logging my food with as much accuracy as practical, using a food scale at home, logging my exercise as accurately as I can, tracking my progress to determine my personal TDEE, and hitting my calorie goals on average (across a week).

Your calorie requirements may change with age (as opposed to because of age), due to lower activity, loss of muscle, etc., so you either have to adjust to your current calorie requirements (as opposed to "what used to work"), or increase your activity and rebuild muscle so that your calorie requirements are similar to what they were when you were younger.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    48, things haven't slowed down for me yet. I fear the menopause, but for now metabolism seems to be the same as it's always been. Was thinner at 43 than at 25, but that wasn't a good thing; now I am at healthy weight and just looking to adjust a little and to get an idea of how much I am eating. I asked this on another thread and someone posted the formula - 5 calories less per year, so for 20 years older you'd have to eat 100 less calories or work out an extra half hour or so, it's not a big deal but that may be what's tripping you up?

What does go slower for me now is recovery. It takes longer to heal than when I was young.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was just 48 when I started here and in the middle of perimenopause.

Within 16 weeks I had lost 15 kg (33 lbs).
    Took a 1-month diet break while holidaying and deciding whether or not to continue and lose some more.
    Decided to keep going for another 16 weeks, and lost another 11 kg.

That brought me to some point in November 2015 and I've been more or less maintaining since. However, I'd like to lose just a few more kg, so I'm back on the diet again as of today.

I steadfastly stuck to my calorie limit ... and yes, I used a digital food scale to weigh and measure everything to ensure I was logging accurately.

Plus exercise helps. I've been more active in the past 6 months or so than I have been in years.

What I've done lately:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10364677/2016-goals-quarter-of-the-year-done#latest
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and in better shape than I was at half this age. I put success down to consistency, patience, regular activity (mine is just walking part of my commute) and no deadline. (I shifted around 35lbs in six months)
  • chattycathy42
    chattycathy42 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    About to be 42 next month and gained 15 pounds in 2 years..ugh! The struggle is real. It seemed so much easier when I was younger to lose weight. This time it's just a little slower! It just seems like I'm hungry more
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Being fit and maintaining a healthy weight is hard at any age. I lost 50lbs at 32 and now at 37 I still have a hard time keeping my weight steady. Every day is a fight. You just keep plugging and you need to keep perspective. This is for life.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    its not an age thing, i think its a mental thing.
    you just have to work hard and stay focused, the minute you lose focus you gain weight
    i have worked hard to get back in shape, and i am working on pushing forward.
    good luck
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 next month. And I'm the fittest I have ever been. So I don't think age is a struggle at all. I think you have find your "why". That is the most important thing. Why are you wanting to get fit? Heath? Activity level?

I understand "why I chose to do this over a year ago! And that has never left my mind for one minute. I keep it on my bathroom mirror to remind me ever morning, specially when I don't feel like I want to do anything.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and perimenopausal, and have lost 43lbs over the past year. Weigh, measure and log ALL your foods. The process works, and it will for you, too. Good luck!
  • blewbell
    blewbell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont is on to something about muscle loss. I am 45 and didn't start losing consistently until I rebuilt the muscle tissue that had been lost. I was pretty muscular when I was younger (genetics + swimmer), and since muscle is metabolic tissue my body was just being stubborn and wanted it back before it would comply. Had to deal with a couple of pounds gained before I lost but losing steadily now except for setbacks during irregular cycles (perimenopause). Might be water gain but it slows the whole linear thing down. Everyone is different though and this might not apply to you!
    Also, when you only have a small amount to lose, it is hard to attain the calorie deficits needed to lose - say a pound a week. I am short and have 20 more to go and can only manage a calorie deficit of about 300/day. You need 500/day to lose a pound a week.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    42 here. If you don't have them already, purchase a food scale and a HRM. IMO, they are necessary tools to get the maximum benefits from MFP. I lost about 10 lbs over two years ago and have kept it off ever since. You can do it! :smile:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Im 41, am as fit and lean as when i was 20. Its just as easy. Its all about being active and controlling eating(calories). Most people are not as active as they get older and when your sitting around the house it easier to eat more than when your out doing activities. That the real reason people gain weight as they get older.

This.

I just turned 60 and have stayed within 10% of my hs graduation weight of 200 pounds ever since. I wear the same size clothing as my 24 yo son who has done some local fitness modeling (although he does fill them out a but better)

It just depends on controlling your calories and movement at any age.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    For me, age has meant mostly ME slowing down so I don't lose as fast. I am also perimenopausal (I'm 46) and have found it harder only in that I have to eat less as my caloric requirement is definitely less. I also have to keep my thyroid meds absolutely spot on. If my thyroid moves down and I don't catch it right away, I put on 20#'s literally in a month. So I keep my armor thyroid well monitored and keep my FT3 and FT4 in the upper 2/3 of the lab range. So long as I stay there, I lose just counting calories and moving more each day (steps vs. hard exercise). I enjoy weight lifting so much more then cardio so I'm going back to free weights (ala Body for Life) to increase muscle mass.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. I lost about 25 lbs using MFP to watch my calorie intake. It wasn't hard.
    Eat the right amount of calories for your activity level.