100+ Pounds to Lose

Hey MFP Community,

I am a young female (almost 23), and I would like to lose at least 100 pounds. This is a monumental task, and it feels insurmountable right now.

I more or less know what I need to do (eat better, eat less, and move more), but the weight loss journey itself is daunting and it is way easier to give up then to keep going. I suppose what I need is motivation, and to be held accountable. That's where you come in :)

Anyone out there lost a large sum of weight? How much did you lose? How did you do it? What kept you going when you felt weak? Tips? Advice?

Is there anyone else here that is trying--or would like to begin trying--to lose a large amount of weight? How do you plant to start? What goals have you set for yourself?

Let's help and support each other! I will return to this forum to find advice, motivation, and inspiration, and also to check-in as a means of holding myself accountable to you guys.

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    So far I've lost 70pds, starting at 318pds (at my very heaviest I was 355, yikes) and I know how you feel, just the sheer amount is daunting. But hey, we don't want to be like this forever, so we just gotta start! There are a few groups out there that I belong to for people in the 200's, or losing 100+ pounds, etc. for more suport.
    My usual suggestions are:
    Do the best you can. Don't beat yourself up when you're not perfect. I know I tend to just continue bad eating habits if I figure **** it.
    Don't restrict foods, find a way to make it fit in your calories. If I had to give up chocolate, someone would die. (Hint: It wouldn't be me)
    Exercise is good, but not 100% necessary. If it hurts, or you have medical restrictions that keep you from even walking, just remember that it's about the calorie deficit - not how much you exercise, that just helps your overall health.
    Read a lot - I recommend starting with Most Helpful Posts Getting Started and Most Helpful posts General Diet and Weight Loss Help Must Reads. If someone tells you something that screams "for science!", ask them for the peer reviewed paper it was published in. Lots and lots of myths and crap floating around.
    That last part said, don't go in for the quick/gimmicky loss plans. Cleanses, detox, blah blah blah sustainable weight loss is about the calorie deficit.
    When you're discouraged - Get on MFP, go for a drive, paint your nails, whatever makes you feel better. There's a lot of information at first and there are times when we all get down. The point is not to quit, there are many people out there who have been, and are, successful at weight loss and maintaining! Check out the Success Stories category, really inspiring.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    old fart here... 55 years old with 115 lbs to lose... started the day after x mas... dropped 48.8 lbs as of sunday... take heart.. if i can do this so can you... DO NOT LOOK AT THE TOAL!!!! take it 1 pound at a time, just 1... lose one pound you already know how to do it... once you lose 1 pound then lose another... and so on and so on... once you start you'll be surprised on how easy it is to make changes in your life to keep going..this is the place to start... great group of like minded people all striving to do the same thing... get healthy .. i'm here every single day.. not sure how much help i can be but i'm here if needed
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    I have 100 pounds to lose (give or take) and am 26 pounds into it. I have tried before and always given up because I thought it was impossible to lose 100 pounds.

So I set mini goals--and my Fitbit has actually helped too because it gives you badges for every 5 pounds lost (and man do I love those badges). But for me my first goal is to get out of the 200s and I get a husband approved shopping trip. It splits it up almost right down the middle.

You are going to have weeks where it seems like the weight is just falling off, and then you are going to have weeks where the scale doesn't budge. Don't get discouraged! When that happens to me, I look back at all that I have already lost, measure myself (that is fun), and I keep going.

You've already made the first step and that is by coming to MFP--you've got this!
  • amandawert59
    amandawert59 Posts: 2 Member
    I need to drop 100 pounds been doing good then hit a junk food binge and back to square one. (University exam stress eating)
  • Sindakhelekwen
    Sindakhelekwen Posts: 19 Member
    My goal is to lose 190 pounds from my highest weight (357). I had lost almost 30 pounds previously but ended up giving up and gaining it all back plus some. It's a huge task but it's not impossible as long as a person doesn't give up.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Getting into the boards and actually learning about CICO changed weight loss for me. The idea that I did not have to starve? I could eat pizza? BREAD?!? Crazy. Completely changed the game. I went from losing and gaining the same 15lbs over and over to being down 71. I'm still 30 or so from goal, but as we are expecting in October, my focus has switched to maintaining my current weight (OB approved). It can be done. Just log everything. Weigh everything. If you get lax in your weighing and you notice things aren't moving, buckle down - that's almost always the culprit. Eat back your exercise calories - since machines and MFP over estimate, start by eating back half of them. In 6 weeks if you are losing too fast, eat 75% back and check again in 6 weeks. Let yourself eat the food you love and remember that this is a process that isn't linear.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member

Heya! I'm 25, and have a similar goal. I am already down 75, and have another 75 - 100 to go. I understand feeling like it's insurmountable, but you CAN do this! Take it one day at a time, and choose small goals instead of big ones. Break that 100lb down into 10lb increments if it helps.

My biggest bit of advice is to take pictures. When you hit a plateau (and you WILL hit a plateau) and feel like nothing is changing, pictures will be there for you to see the inches you're losing while the scale isn't moving. Best of luck to you. Remember, you can do this!
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    I am finding a book called the Beck Diet Solution really useful. It was recommended on a thread on here (thanks to who ever that was I can't remember now). I "know" the practicalities of losing weight but find the mental stuff really holds me back and as a result have yo-yo and binged my way to being 70pounds or so overweight.

The Beck Diet Solution is not a book with a diet in it. It is a book to help you psychologically prepare for the process of losing weight and then to help you adhere to the lifestyle changes and whatever "diet" you chose to use to help you make those changes and lose weight.

It is based on cognitive therapy principles and provides useful strategies for when you don't have motivation, can't be bothered or feel like it is all too hard. Its about helping you set goals, undo bad habits and negative ways of thinking that can hold people back from achieving goals and I am finding that it is helping me.
  • mrskoopy
    mrskoopy Posts: 14 Member
    I have about 150 pounds to lose. Unfortunately this isn't my first rodeo in trying to lose weight. I tend to self sabotage, get frustrated when nothing has happened and quit before enough time has passed to see any changes. This time I have myself set up with a diet plan, I'm not beating myself up when I cheat, I'm working on finding new outlets for my boredom or emotions other than eating, and I've set myself up with a workout routine that includes cardio and strength training. It's taking a lot of work and while I haven't seen any changes in the scale, I'm noticing slight differences in how my body looks (the shifting of the fat you can say) and I notice an increase in my energy levels.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    That reminds be, the Beck solution suggests eliminating the word cheat and just acknowledging that you made the wrong choice or decision for achieving your goals and then moving on without any horrible self talk to yourself about it.
  • AffinityGamer
    AffinityGamer Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2016
    I've just started on this journey (again). But I am serious about it this time. Very similar position to you; about 22 1/2 years old (do adults even count half years? lol). I have 100+lbs to lose. Probably aiming to lose 130 lbs ultimately, but I'm in the process of setting smaller goals right now. I'm about to graduate college, so I will simultaneously have MUCH more freedom and a complete shift in lifestyle once I settle on some post-graduation job. It could lead to a much more sedentary lifestyle again, so I'm trying to line my ducks up now to prevent myself from floundering.

I'm currently working on purchasing basic home workout equipment (starting with hand weights! I feel like I could fly if I flapped my arms enough...). I'm focusing on developing a catalog of some basic, easy recipes I can fall back on for times I'm lost on cooking (thank you Pinterest and MFP!). Personally, if I don't feel like figuring out a recipe for the food I have in the kitchen, I'll end up making a quesadilla or snacking through the night. I'm fixing that now. As for goals, I'm detail/schedule-oriented (thank you college!), so I'll probably do some research and make realistic goals to lose this much weight by this so-and-so event/date. Again, I'm still new to this, but I feel I have the food part down, so my real struggle is the working out.

I'm a private person, so I won't be reaching out to friends for support, but I will try recruiting my mom to join me in this journey (she's my best friend anyway). It'll be a bit harder if I move even further away after college, but I still think having at least one person to be accountable towards in your real-life is super helpful.

And this forum already has oodles of advice, so I will also reference this! Thank you everyone!
  • kcraig6207
    kcraig6207 Posts: 33 Member
    Welcome! Joining MFP is a great step to a healthier you! I've tried many different diets and have found (with the help of MFP) that it does truly come down to CICO. I'm 32 and started with 130 pounds to lose and it seemed impossible. But the cliché "one day at a time" really is true. I put my information into MFP and stayed at my calorie goal each day. I never deprived myself of "bad" foods - yes I eat carbs and treats! I just make sure to do so in moderation; I make sure it fits in my calorie goal for the day. When I eat out, I try to look up menus prior (if possible) and make the best choice available. Have I gone over at times and had days with some bad choices?! Of course! But I don't let that snowball into bad weeks and months. I log it, learn from it and move on! I will say that it truly is becoming a lifestyle change for me since now it's easy to make healthy choices and I don't really think twice about it.

After several months and reading the advice on these forums, I did purchase a food scale and use that as much as possible to ensure my logging is accurate. When I started, I focused solely on my diet. I lost over 40 pounds without any exercise. I've recently added exercise into my routine - mostly because my calorie goal keeps lowering and I want to eat more - oh and for the health and fitness benefits as well! :)

Once I started see the pounds come off consistently it was easy to stay motivated! I am feeling so much better which makes this all worth it. Plus the compliments from others noticing now is definitely encouraging (but truly I'm doing this for me).

Feel free to add me! I'm on here every single day and can provide support! You can do this!
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    Hey MFP Community,
    My name is Patricia. You mentioned motivation. I am 54 years old, and for 28 years (I wasn't always obese), I lived a sedentary life where I gave no thought to what I put in my body and now I am SICK. I was warned over and over again that if I did not eat healthy and exercise to lose the excess weight that I could get really sick. A year ago (2015) I was diagnosed with hypertension and Type 2 Diabetes. At 281lbs, I was the largest I had ever been but that was not enough MOTIVATION to stop me from mistreating my body. Fast forward one year later, I now have vision problems and nerve damage, and if I were to continue my reckless lifestyle, I might lose the use of my limbs through atrophy or amputation, or go blind, or destroy my kidneys, or die prematurely. MY MOTIVATION: OBESITY KILLS.

I posted a full length picture of myself because a lot of times we hide the way that we really look due to shame. We don't feel good about the way we look and we are ashamed of the way we have treated our bodies but not enough to change our lifestyles. I am overcoming the shame; being obese became a lifestyle, therefore I will live a healthy lifestyle now and my weight loss will be a byproduct of saving my life. I used to start and stop, but now I am not anxious for the weight to magically disappear overnight. I realized that I lived an unhealthy lifestyle over a number of decades. Now I must live a healthy lifestyle in order to maintain a decent quality of life. Because I am NOT ON A DIET, yes, I can wait, if it takes me 2 years to lose 114lbs, I will live a healthy lifestyle because my life depends on it. That is my MOTIVATION.

I hope that you and others can become motivated from my story, my two daughter sure have. Being a part of the MFP Community is a blessing. I can count carbs and calories and be apart of a community of like-minded individuals. I love it!

27lbs lighter!!!!!!!!!!! (I lost 9lbs in the three weeks that I have been a part of the MFP Community)

"I AM NOT ON A DIET, I AM LIVING A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE."
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    This popped into my head later on, take "before" pictures. You may not like them, you can hide them somewhere (buried on my hard drive), but you may want them for 'during' and 'maintenance' photos.
  • phillyhockeyfan
    phillyhockeyfan Posts: 57 Member
    I started counting calories in January. I'm down 45 so far with another 80 to go. I don't really have much to add that hasn't already been mentioned. What works for me is the following: Take pictures. Since gaining all this extra weight I hate being in pictures, I'm always the one taking them instead. I take one the first of each month, so I can compare my progress. It's nice to be able to see myself getting smaller. I also take measurements on the first of the month. Some weeks the loss will slow, it's nice to see the inches go down. Weigh yourself however many times works for you. By this I mean weigh in once a week, once a day, once a month, ect. I weigh first thing every morning. I'm a data person. I like to track it everyday. Just keep in mind loosing weight is not linear, there will be ups and downs. If you can't take that, try weighing less frequently. Buy a food scale. Weigh everything that isn't a liquid. Not all foods equal the same serving. Example I was eating crackers the other day serving size said something like 8 crackers/28 grams. Well 7 crackers was 28 grams so I only had 7. Most people over measure when using measuring spoons. Weighing is the better option. There will be days when you go over your calorie goal. It's ok. Just get right back at it the next day. Birthdays, holdidays, special occasions happen from time to time. Don't make yourself miserable by "dieting", indulge a little. Maybe eat lighter the rest of the day to give yourself extra wiggle room. When I first starting counting calories, it was tedious. Now it's second nature. It will get easier and faster. Make sure you log everything. Not everyone tracks water. I track my water with Fitbit. When I don't get enough water I don't loose as well as when I get more. That also goes for sleep as well. I used to get 5-6 hours a night. I read that sleep helps. I played around with it and found 8 hours works best for more consistent weight loss for me. Just find what works for you and stick with it. You didn't gain it all over night, it's not all gonna come off over night. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    I've lost 100lbs in the last 4.5 months. Still have more to lose, but it's going well.

Advice:

Get food scale
    Weigh all food at least initially to retrain yourself on proper portion sizes.
    Try to cut out empty calories like sugary pop and candy, carbs make you hungry and don't fill you, protiens are good bang for the buck! And start trying to find veggies you like.

After I stopped drinking sugary pop cold turkey, about a month later I started really enjoying vegetables much more than I ever did before.

You can set your goals to lose 1% of your body weight per week. I.e 450lbs = 4.5 per week calorie deficit you can lose safely.

Except for the sugary pop I haven't cut anything else out. If I want a Big Mac I have one.

I'm averaging 1800-2000 cals a day

Your body will be super hungry and crave food as you restrict it.... It's like a baby throwing a temper tantrum trying to get its own way.... Until you can learn to live with a hungry feeling in your belly and know you will be ok, it will be a struggle to lose. But after 2 months I found the deep down hunger has largely abaited.

Lastly: if you go over your calories for the day.... Don't beat yourself up about it, but be mindful of it the next day and work extra hard to try and stay under.

Good luck with it
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Hi all. I also have a rather large amount of weight to lose. To get to my goal, I need to lose 129 more pounds. And even then I will be at 200 pounds which still is overweight. I'm 5'11, but I believe that would still be considered overweight. Anyway, I have had body image issues and been overweight from a very young age. I was put on diets and made to feel like something was "bad" or "wrong" about me all through my life. After being through counseling, I am finally ready to do this for me! And in a healthy manner. It does seem like a HUGE task doesn't it? But, for once, I feel like I'm on the right task. I would love to have people support me and to support them in return!
  • Jamiempang
    Jamiempang Posts: 39 Member
    One huge piece of advice for those starting their weight loss journey... and it's a common mistake. Don't drop your calories too low. Please. You CAN lose weight the healthy way. Support is key. I'm always here for those who need me. I'm just a buddy click away.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I lost 60 lbs from recent high, 80 from all time high. And I considered the first month to be less about the numbers and more about habit forming. Why? Because in the months to come, you always won't be motivated to hit the gym or eat smaller portions or log food. But if that's just a habit that's formed over time, motivation each and every time isn't as important. But motivation will be highest in the beginning. I hit the gym every day that first month, even I only went for half hour. I ate at home almost every day to make it easier to log. Now some of those tasks are habits like brushing teeth, not things I have to push myself to do.
  • halifax22
    halifax22 Posts: 4 Member
    Getting into the boards and actually learning about CICO changed weight loss for me. The idea that I did not have to starve? I could eat pizza? BREAD?!? Crazy. Completely changed the game. I went from losing and gaining the same 15lbs over and over to being down 71. I'm still 30 or so from goal, but as we are expecting in October, my focus has switched to maintaining my current weight (OB approved). It can be done. Just log everything. Weigh everything. If you get lax in your weighing and you notice things aren't moving, buckle down - that's almost always the culprit. Eat back your exercise calories - since machines and MFP over estimate, start by eating back half of them. In 6 weeks if you are losing too fast, eat 75% back and check again in 6 weeks. Let yourself eat the food you love and remember that this is a process that isn't linear.