100+ Pounds to Lose

2»

Replies

• halifax22
    halifax22 Posts: 4 Member
    I would love to be part of any group that has 100 pounds or more to loose. I just started using the app. I am just trying to explore to get the best benifiets. I have done lots of shake diets and lost lots of weight. Unfortunately I always put the weight back on plus. I am now at my heaviest and need to make a like style change. If anyone has any tips please let me know. Thank you!!
  • yessie916
    yessie916 Posts: 18 Member
    I have 100 pounds to lose (give or take) and am 26 pounds into it. I have tried before and always given up because I thought it was impossible to lose 100 pounds.

So I set mini goals--and my Fitbit has actually helped too because it gives you badges for every 5 pounds lost (and man do I love those badges). But for me my first goal is to get out of the 200s and I get a husband approved shopping trip. It splits it up almost right down the middle.

You are going to have weeks where it seems like the weight is just falling off, and then you are going to have weeks where the scale doesn't budge. Don't get discouraged! When that happens to me, I look back at all that I have already lost, measure myself (that is fun), and I keep going.

You've already made the first step and that is by coming to MFP--you've got this!

I'm on the same boat! I have 100+to lose and lost 27 lbs since I started in January. I agree with everything you said and even into my 3rd month I've experienced quick weight loss then weeks with none! Setting those mini goals has helped me and Im so looking forward to get to the 30 lbs loss cause then that means Im halfway to my 1st big goal of getting to 200lbs. That for me would be a big freaking deal and a major accomplishment. Start somewhere, make small sustainable changes, and keep focused on your goals!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    I am no expert but I just wanted to say to everyone that whatever your weight-loss goals, it CAN be done. I know this as I discovered this morning that I have lost 100lbs. I have many more to go (approx 70lbs) but I also know that I WILL achieve this aim.

Yes, it does seem impossible when you look at the bigger number - it's scary! But, with the right mindset, it can be done. I'd tried and failed before because my head wasn't in the right place/peer pressure/wrong type of "diet". This time around though, my head was in the right place and even back when I started, I knew that I'd succeed.

I'm not just losing weight though, I am also trying to improve my fitness through exercise - not particularly vigorous stuff, just cycling, walking and occasional swimming.

I weigh everything. If it goes into my mouth, it gets weighed and logged. This helps me to control my eating and my eating habits. I try to stay within my calorie goal, mostly this is achievable, sometimes I go slightly over. When I go over, I don't worry too much, I just try to do better the following day. A couple of hundred calories over one day isn't going to make a huge difference over the course of many months (and it will take months) but a couple of hundred calories every day might do.

I view every day as a fresh start. Regardless of what happened the day before, every day is a reset.

I started exercising. The first walk I went on, I had to keep stopping for a break. I got hot, sweaty and felt pretty miserable. That walk was about a mile. Not far, huh? But it was, for me. Unfit, fat me. But I did it. And I've tried to walk every day since, weather permitting. I now walk 6-8 miles a day and could easily walk further (it has taken me 8 months to get to this point). I also try to cycle daily as well (now that I don't feel stupid on a bike - I always used to worry that I'd look silly, being as I was so big). What I've found though, is that the cycling community are so friendly and passing cyclists will call out "hello!". My resting pulse when I started was 100bpm+. It's now hovering at around 60bpm, way more acceptable to me.

I don't dwell on the big number. I aim small and work towards these. I don't look much further ahead than the next couple of pounds.

It's frustrating. Water retention is a problem. Last week I jumped on the scales and had gained 2lbs, due to water weight. This week it had gone, along with a bit more. Weight fluctuates, you have to be patient. When I haven't lost, or have gained, I get mad for a couple of minutes and then calm down because I know that this process WORKS and I have to be patient.

Your health will improve as you go. I feel vastly different to how I felt eight months ago. No more swollen ankles/acid reflux/feeling like a lump. I have loads more energy. I can RUN (okay, short bursts, but I can run). I feel AMAZING.

My one regret? Not doing this sooner. Wish I'd started YEARS ago. I've put my health at risk and my family's happiness at risk. That saddens me but I'm doing something about it now. Better late then never I suppose.

I'll shut up now. My final piece of advice? Don't wait. Just do it. Now.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Break it into chunks if you're feeling overwhelmed. Focus on losing the first 10 pounds (losing 10 pounds 10 times might sound easier than 'OMG, I have to lose 100 pounds!!'). Reward yourself with something fun after a 5% weight loss, 10% weight loss, etc.

Focus on tracking first. Really get into the habit. Track it even if you go over or eat something you didn't plan on. Then find exercise you really enjoy. Swimming, biking, dance classes, running, tug of war and dodgeball. You don't need to in order to lose weight, but seeing what your body is capable of doing is can be really motivating.

When I started, I had a freak out moment - then I wrote down everything I could possibly think of that I wanted in my life but wasn't accomplishing because of my weight (real or imagined). Superficial stuff, health stuff, social stuff, career stuff - it was pages long. I'm down 60 pounds, and have already crossed a lot of stuff off of that list. My goal reward is surfing lessons - 55 pounds to go!
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. Don't focus on the end goal, focus on tracking your calories day in, day out.

And remember, the longer it takes to achieve your goals, the more permanent this change will be. Those who lose a large amount of weight steadily will keep it off - you are in control of your decisions.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    laur357 wrote: »
    Break it into chunks if you're feeling overwhelmed. Focus on losing the first 10 pounds (losing 10 pounds 10 times might sound easier than 'OMG, I have to lose 100 pounds!!'). Reward yourself with something fun after a 5% weight loss, 10% weight loss, etc.

This is what keeps me focused. I have 70 lbs to go until 'healthy' weight, and 90 lbs to go until my ultimate goal. I actually made a list of rewards for every pound I lose, with bigger ones at the milestones. All luxury items that will help with my self esteem as I go along. Things I like to buy, and have fun shopping for, but don't usually splurge on unless I really need to - like makeup and clothes.

Surfing lessons sounds like a fantastic reward for your goal weight. Mine is SCUBA lessons :)

• crystalnichols395
    crystalnichols395 Posts: 68 Member
    I am trying to lose a total of 140-150 pounds. I started this journey a year ago and by august 2015 I was down 40 pounds and was so proud of myself. I was totally motived by only myself. Then vacation time came around and I fell off and I have since gained 20 pounds back. I'm trying hard to get back into it but it's so hard. Once you get use to saying no to unhealthy foods and saying no to foods that's going to make you go over your calorie count it will become a habit and it will get easier. You have to find the motivation inside you first before anyone else can motivate you. It will take time to get into it fully but once you start and the pounds start dropping you will feel so much better and that will motivate you even more. I also think that the reward program will help out to. I also found that when my clothes started getting bigger and wouldn't fit I didn't keep them once I got some new clothes. Keeping your old bigger clothes only tells you that you think you will give up. You can do this. I can do this. You can add me as a friend and we can help each other. But remember you have to want this for yourself to be able to make it happen.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    I started with 130+ pounds to lose and am down 80 in little over a year. It's hard at first but when you start to see (or feel) the progress, it gives you huge motivation to continue. Like other have said: get a food scale and weigh everything; I started a regular exercise routine and the hard work at exercise helps motivate me to eat better and stay at a deficit. Incorporating resistance training has helped me a lot... it seems to slow my loss on the scale but clothes fit better and I feel stronger. Don't let bad days or even week make you give up. Everyone slips up and overeating or cravings win out sometimes. Log everything (even terrible days). You can learn a lot about your "trigger food" or craving by looking back at "bad" days. Drink lots of water. No quick fixes, fads, cleanses, pills.... slow and consistent wins at "fat" loss. Look at it as a lifestyle change and only make changes you can do for the rest of your life. Good luck. If I can do this anyone can.....
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    I started with 130+ pounds to lose and am down 80 in little over a year. It's hard at first but when you start to see (or feel) the progress, it gives you huge motivation to continue. Like other have said: get a food scale and weigh everything; I started a regular exercise routine and the hard work at exercise helps motivate me to eat better and stay at a deficit. Incorporating resistance training has helped me a lot... it seems to slow my loss on the scale but clothes fit better and I feel stronger. Don't let bad days or even week make you give up. Everyone slips up and overeating or cravings win out sometimes. Log everything (even terrible days). You can learn a lot about your "trigger food" or craving by looking back at "bad" days. Drink lots of water. No quick fixes, fads, cleanses, pills.... slow and consistent wins at "fat" loss. Look at it as a lifestyle change and only make changes you can do for the rest of your life. Good luck. If I can do this anyone can.....

I totally agree. We have to look at it as a "lifestyle change" because diets have start dates and stop dates, and we often feel disappointed when we hit plateaus because we are "dieting." If you continue to eat healthy, count calories and exercise, you will ultimately arrive at your goal weight. That is what I understand now. Diets make you anxious for results.
  • message4michelle
    message4michelle Posts: 19 Member
    Afura wrote: »
    This popped into my head later on, take "before" pictures. You may not like them, you can hide them somewhere (buried on my hard drive), but you may want them for 'during' and 'maintenance' photos.

I can't agree more! As much as I HATE cameras, I really wish I had taken some "before" pictures. I had to really dig to find one. As horrible as it may seem, I think it's important. I would also advise you to take measurements. It will be so incredibly satisfying to compare with them after you've started losing weight and inches.

I've lost just over 100 pounds and am nearing my final goal. For years I didn't believe it was possible. But when you achieve the impossible, it is the most liberating, freeing experience. You'll be unstoppable. YOU can do this. Yes, YOU... really!
  • deanaferrari
    deanaferrari Posts: 18 Member
    I agree with the suggestions here: Take pictures once a month (I took one of me trying on shorts that I could fasten but not zip, then a month later, took one of them zipped -- albeit snugly). When you start second-guessing the effectiveness of your diet (i.e. that dratted plateau that seems to strike once a month), you can pull out these progress photos and remind yourself it's working and to just keep doing what you're doing cause it's working. It helps when you're feeling down.
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    I am finding a book called the Beck Diet Solution really useful. It was recommended on a thread on here (thanks to who ever that was I can't remember now). I "know" the practicalities of losing weight but find the mental stuff really holds me back and as a result have yo-yo and binged my way to being 70pounds or so overweight.

The Beck Diet Solution is not a book with a diet in it. It is a book to help you psychologically prepare for the process of losing weight and then to help you adhere to the lifestyle changes and whatever "diet" you chose to use to help you make those changes and lose weight.

It is based on cognitive therapy principles and provides useful strategies for when you don't have motivation, can't be bothered or feel like it is all too hard. Its about helping you set goals, undo bad habits and negative ways of thinking that can hold people back from achieving goals and I am finding that it is helping me.

And how to deal with lapses. Lots of great information and mental exercises.
  • LoBaas
    LoBaas Posts: 13 Member
    Hey MFP friends!

Thank you all SO much for the kind words and advice and support. :) Sharing stories with you guys, and just knowing you're out there and that I am not alone is a HUGE help! I can do this :)

I think I really need to start by getting all the junk out of my house. Having chips in the cupboard is really not helping me any.

Also, I think I may actually be addicted to food. I know that sounds crazy, but the more I research it, the more I realize I have all the classic symptoms. I am considering trying an online meeting of Overeaters Anonymous, just to continue to lean on other people for support and encouragement. Have any of you tried that program?

I have to tell you, I am SO inspired by each and every one of you! :)
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    I lost my 100 lbs over the last 11 months. I like to make mini goals and have non-food goals that keep me motivated. I also like to compete in the challenges on this web site. I am compete in a Hogwarts Challenge and a Spring fling that is Amazing Race based. I have done some other challenges - Biggest Loser and Divergent Challenges since June when I found MFP.
  • reducingrenee622
    reducingrenee622 Posts: 48 Member
    Looks like I'm in the same boat you are. 23 years old, roughly 100 pounds (give or take) to lose! Not too sure where to really start besides cutting calories, and exorcising more. Care if I added you? More friends on here, the more I feel like I'll be accountable!