Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do People not Understand what Debate Means?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    What was the question OP?? ;)

• Serah87
    806e20b0-5ce1-0133-0bd8-0e34a4cc753d.gif?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    shell1005 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    With that logic shouldn't this discussion be out of the the debate section?

Since it is about the debate section, I don't how it belongs anywhere else.

Its not a debate. Its not understanding how a forum works. There is no forum out there that doesnt deal with this type of thing. People use the app, which doesn't have the definitions below it, and end up choosing the wrong section. It happens all the time in every single one of the sections. It happened all the time on my car forums as well. Some people dont understand, some dont read, and sometimes they just choose what they think is best.

Not seeing this as a debate.

Opinion noted.

Maybe you should research how forums work and then show me a constructivr counter argument since its the debate section.
  • Serah87
    215_ears_cat_gifs.gif
  • psuLemon

Its not a debate. Its not understanding how a forum works. There is no forum out there that doesnt deal with this type of thing. People use the app, which doesn't have the definitions below it, and end up choosing the wrong section. It happens all the time in every single one of the sections. It happened all the time on my car forums as well. Some people dont understand, some dont read, and sometimes they just choose what they think is best.

Opinion noted.

Maybe you should research how forums work and then show me a constructivr counter argument since its the debate section.

Nah, I'd prefer the fun that this thread turned into....posting fun cat gifs. I guess that makes me the devil. *puts horns on* I also answered the OP's question, which I believe is the point of many forums...even sometimes this one.

CAT-GIF-Funny-Cat-playing-Wack-amole-with-human-finger.gif

So that means you have no justification or proof to argue my experience and knowledge of modding forum for over 10 years. You opinion is noted. Nice debating with you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Constructive counter example:

In the old Salon forums (TableTalk) things seemed to typically be posted in the correct area.

In my book forums I used to post in, things again were posted in the correct area.

Perhaps that's because they weren't accessed by app (I've never accessed the forums here by app, so don't know what it was like).

One difference I do notice:

In those forums, people would normally lurk and read for at least a bit before posting (and not immediately jump into starting new threads) and at least skim the faqs. They weren't perfect by any means (the TT forum was wacky as one might expect given the association with Salon -- I was accused of being a secret Republican "operative" when I first posted in the Politics section -- something that did not surprise or upset me, although it was rather hostile (and besides I'm a Democrat), since I had read the forum first), but the fact people gave the others in the forum the basic courtesy of reading it first was extremely helpful.

This cat is demonstrating:

9kafd1or91di.jpg
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,079 Member
    I think perhaps this thread may be better suited for the suggestions/feedback section.

Possibly, but at the same time it has become a point of debate whether people do not understand what debate means, whether they accidentally post in the forum incorrectly, or whether they are cats, so it does seem to fit here in an odd sort of way. BTW, I didn't expect it to got where it did, but I approve.
    giphy.gif
  • psuLemon

Opinion noted.

Nah, I'd prefer the fun that this thread turned into....posting fun cat gifs. I guess that makes me the devil. *puts horns on* I also answered the OP's question, which I believe is the point of many forums...even sometimes this one.

So that means you have no justification or proof to argue my experience and knowledge of modding forum for over 10 years. You opinion is noted. Nice debating with you.

Well if we are really doing this.....

I have been members of forums since the mid to late 90s. It's now 2016. I have created two forums and also moderated most of the forums I have been a part of (lost count since many forums I have been involved with, I have been moved up to leadership). I have found the experiences over at MFP to be drastic different than any other online community I have ever been a part of. I do not want to get into specifics because I am aware of the policy of members making any reference to moderation or forum management. It's a debate that I am not allowed to have on my side, so I guess you have to win this one.

I have just as much experience and knowledge as you do, but it is easily discounted in this particular forum and this specific debate. I would say it was nice debating with you, but sadly it is impossible for me.

And a final note...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29399-1376758388-1.gif

Mod policy has literally zero to do with this conversation. I have been a part of several top rate and huge communites. The larger the community, the increase in chances that someone will post in the wrong section. It really is that simple and no where near a debate. Suggesting its a debate shows a lack of understanding of how forums work and how people post.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member

Opinion noted.

I have been members of forums since the mid to late 90s. It's now 2016. I have created two forums and also moderated most of the forums I have been a part of (lost count since many forums I have been involved with, I have been moved up to leadership). I have found the experiences over at MFP to be drastic different than any other online community I have ever been a part of. I do not want to get into specifics because I am aware of the policy of members making any reference to moderation or forum management. It's a debate that I am not allowed to have on my side, so I guess you have to win this one.

I have just as much experience and knowledge as you do, but it is easily discounted in this particular forum and this specific debate. I would say it was nice debating with you, but sadly it is impossible for me.

And a final note...

Mod policy has literally zero to do with this conversation. I have been a part of several top rate and huge communites. The larger the community, the increase in chances that someone will post in the wrong section. It really is that simple and no where near a debate. Suggesting its a debate shows a lack of understanding of how forums work and how people post.

Mod policy has absolutely everything to do with this conversation, but only one person here is allowed to talk about it. So congrats, you win! Yay you.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member

Opinion noted.

And a final note...

Since you keep mentioning your mod experience here, it does have something to do with it, but I am willing to ignore it for my own safety.

I have also been a part of several huge communities and moderated them as well. I have been an admin, a paid moderator and a volunteer moderator. Not sure what that has to do with this.

I never suggested this thread was a debate. I know how forums work....and don't. I suggested it was about the debate section. Now I know why and how you are confused. Gotcha.

tumblr_m1kpktdGLL1qf04yf.gif

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to genuflect when speaking to moderators in such a manner.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member

Opinion noted.

And a final note...

Since you keep mentioning your mod experience here, it does have something to do with it, but I am willing to ignore it for my own safety.

I have also been a part of several huge communities and moderated them as well. I have been an admin, a paid moderator and a volunteer moderator. Not sure what that has to do with this.

I never suggested this thread was a debate. I know how forums work....and don't. I suggested it was about the debate section. Now I know why and how you are confused. Gotcha.

boy-dogs-peeing_med.jpg

• BroScience83
    BroScience83 Posts: 1,689 Member
    what is goin on in here? i like it
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    edited April 2016

Opinion noted.

And a final note...

boy-dogs-peeing_med.jpg

THOSE ARE DOGS. NOT CATS. GET THE KITTEN OUT OF HERE! ;)

tumblr_o4h440whXK1u7gnm9o1_500.gif

No harm intended. Ya'll carry on wit your bad selves. Cats don't really have p!ssing contests.

dog-patting-cat.gif
  • BroScience83
    BroScience83 Posts: 1,689 Member
    what is goin on in here? i like it

*clears throat*

Where is your kitty gif???

tumblr_mq334a9OrV1sxicebo1_r1_400.gif