Obsessed with my scale

Options

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    When I think of it. Supposedly daily but I often forget.
  • joujito556
    joujito556 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So I have an obsession with my scale so much to the point where yesterday I had my best friend take it from me.. So I want to know how often do you all weigh yourself? Anyone else scale obsessed?

Well, as a beginner, I used to check it daily and sometimes twice a day. Now, after 6 months, I try to check it every 2-3 days. But sometimes, I find myself doing it daily, especially if I noticed positive change in the mirror. Its like a treat or motivation to keep going.....
  • welsh31
    welsh31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Once In the morning, once at night. Sometimes in the middle of the day!! I'm obsessed too!
    I only log it on a Monday though x
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    When I wake up in the morning.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Daily in the morning, nude, before eating or drinking anything. If I only weighed weekly I think the first couple days after weigh in I would slack because I have time to make it up later in the week;)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    First thing every morning, and record the result. Have done for years, even when not trying to lose. These days I use a weight-trending app to record (Libra, for Android. Happy Scale & Trendweight are some others.). The plus: I understand my weight fluctuations really well now - what causes them, how long they last. They don't stress me at all.

However, if frequent weighings, and those fluctuations, cause anxiety or stress for you, a less frequent interval may be more sensible.

This. I turn a possible obsession into data. Powerful, powerful data.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Daily in the morning, nude, before eating or drinking anything. If I only weighed weekly I think the first couple days after weigh in I would slack because I have time to make it up later in the week;)

That's how I weigh as well. But here lately I've been weighing before and after my morning meal and notice sometimes I weigh a few ounces less even after getting dressed and eating. :D:D I am definitely obsessed.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    daily..but it helps me keep on track, and I can figure out what I am eating or not eating that is helping or hindering. It keeps me motivated...even those days that I don't lose, or even gain .5 lb because it re-focuses my efforts. I am 5ft, so every little bit shows itself on me.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Every day. It's helped me to become familiar with my body's fluctuation patterns.

This.

And I don't think once a week is very useful, knowing how my weight fluctuates from day to day.
  • Fitnfla
    Fitnfla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try to do it every day to keep me on track and also note what positive or negative effect the foods/drinks/behavior from the previous day had. I found in the past that if I avoid the scale I ALWAYS gain! It is pointless to weigh yourself throughout the day due to the huge fluctuations. I say stick to the AM first thing - after the bathroom, before eating or drinking and you will have a consistent number to go by. I've never used an app (other than MFP) to track weight but I might look into it given the other posts on this forum that mentioned the trending being helpful.
  • lgregory6540
    lgregory6540 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yup totally obsessed- I know it's pointless but it's like I need the reassurance the number is the same or close too (understanding daily fluctuations). I just can't help it. It states at me in the bathroom so I would say I weigh myself 3 times a day and usually all in the morning haha. Once my day gets started and I get busy I tend to forget about it.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Daily, and record it on Libra. I prefer working with weekly trends than a random weekly number that can possibly be severely off due to water weight.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    First thing every morning, and record the result. Have done for years, even when not trying to lose. These days I use a weight-trending app to record (Libra, for Android. Happy Scale & Trendweight are some others.). The plus: I understand my weight fluctuations really well now - what causes them, how long they last. They don't stress me at all.

However, if frequent weighings, and those fluctuations, cause anxiety or stress for you, a less frequent interval may be more sensible.

^^^^ This! Me too!
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day with smart scale. It sends the information an app and and now that I have almost 8 months of data it's interesting to see the weight loss trend. I may have 3 or 4 weeks where I don't really loose or possibly gain a couple pounds. Then I'll tweak my workouts or eating plan and loose 10 pounds in two weeks. So i find that weighing often helps identify and break plateaus in my regimen.

That sounds cool, will have to get one of those scales.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "obsessed with my scale"? Like weigh yourself every hour?

I weigh every morning in the same pattern. It gives me good info of the last day's eating and activities. I need to learn what X calories look like, how my body respond to it.

I follow this too but focus on how I look too, sometimes the scale won't change but I'll see improvements in the way my stomach looks and know I did something right the day before!
  • AmandaJuneFit
    AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning ! It helps me to start off my day. I wake up and feel lighter like im sure many of you do. I stare at my body in the mirror after weighing myself , and i set goals for that day. Such as what im going to avoid eating. Ill tell myself "no sweets today amanda' . or i will set a goal for the amount of steps id like to take.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Haha I know how you feel! I used to weigh myself every day and get really down, only logging when I lose then getting upset if I gained again :(

Now I weigh myself every morning that I'm home and ALWAYS log it. This has helped me deal with the scale way more than just not having it because I'm not obsessing about the numbers yesterday and today, but keeping a real log and looking at the data over weeks and months and seeing the bigger trends. Now I feel okay with not logging some days (which I had more trouble with when I wasn't logging each day) and don't freak out if I gain or maintain.

Doing it the same time each week works for some people and kept me on track, but this works better for me. Still, just getting rid of it all together helps too! I know I feel better and my clothes fit better and that's more important to me than the number of the moment. Good on you for finding what works for you!
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When I started here years ago I was completely obsessed with the scale. I would wake up in the middle of the night and weigh myself. And probably another three times in the day. I think I was just excited to see the numbers going down because I knew I had deficit everyday. But now I only weigh in the morning, once a day.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh daily, but now I weigh every few days. Less stress that way and I don't have to worry about day to day fluctuations. I added strength training into my routine within the past few weeks, and I would feel discouraged if I weighed daily.
  • Countryboy_83
    Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but should do it 1x a week 1st thing in morning