ideas to cut back on bread

perkymommy
perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
I'm looking for meal ideas so that I'm not consuming so much bread. I love salads and eat those often, eggs often, chicken, fish, soup and veggies. But some days I find it easier to make a meal that consists of a sandwich. This morning I had turkey bacon on a BLT. Right now I'm thinking for lunch maybe a banana sandwich. I don't feel like fixing a salad every single meal and like to have one with dinner. I also stay busy working and don't want to fix something elaborate for the lunch meal. I keep it simple and rather small. I like the bread and I eat one that is very low calorie so I'm not cutting it out completely but need some other ideas. Simple things.

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Lettuce wraps? But there's no reason to cut bread out of your diet...A sandwich a day is completely fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    I hated bread as a kid and am not that interested in it now (except really good bread), so I rarely eat it. Mostly I eat the things you might put in a sandwich without bread. For example, I could never understand why people ruined leftover Thanksgiving turkey by making a sandwich when it was so much better on its own, with tasty sides (vegetables, fruit, maybe some yogurt or cottage cheese, if you don't want a starch that would be functionally similar to bread). Another easy lunch option is a soup. I also simply do dinner leftovers (different sides for variety) for lunch.

I now like good sandwiches, though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Cottage cheese & fruit w/ a side of veggies. Maybe a couple crackers (depends). I like cooked and raw veggies at lunch.

I'll make a few meals ahead of time and freeze them. Turkey chili is good.

Okay, high fiber wraps and pita pockets are sandwich type lunches, but nice because you can stuff lots of veggies in there.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited April 2016
    Why are you concerned about cutting back on bread? If you like it, eat it. Unless the bread is preventing you from hitting your calorie and nutritional goals, it's perfectly acceptable. Maybe try that BLT on an English Muffin? Try a hot dog bun for the banana sandwich.

banana-hot-dogs-9.jpg
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Pitas and English muffins are a nice way to change things up when you're bored with regular bread.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    There is low calorie bread out there. The slices are thinner than a traditional loaf. Makes for a nice sandwich.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    If you'd like to start making food with less bread, first step is to just not buy it. See what you can do with what you've got in your house -bread. :) lettuce wraps, bowls, stews, and zoodles are fun to use!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    If I don't have the calories for bread, I simply make a sandwich without. I do it often for my kids' lunches due to food intolerances. So I'll wrap shredded cheese in a slice of ham, put lettuce/greens and whatever veg on the side. Or slice a banana and make little banana sandwiches with peanut butter in between the slices. Or make a tuna or chicken or egg salad and eat it from the bowl.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2016
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I'm looking for meal ideas so that I'm not consuming so much bread. I love salads and eat those often, eggs often, chicken, fish, soup and veggies. But some days I find it easier to make a meal that consists of a sandwich. This morning I had turkey bacon on a BLT. Right now I'm thinking for lunch maybe a banana sandwich. I don't feel like fixing a salad every single meal and like to have one with dinner. I also stay busy working and don't want to fix something elaborate for the lunch meal. I keep it simple and rather small. I like the bread and I eat one that is very low calorie so I'm not cutting it out completely but need some other ideas. Simple things.

My lunches are sandwiches, salad or dinner leftovers usually.

lettuce wraps, cucumber slices in place of bread, open face sandwich instead of two slices, tortilla roll ups, pita bread, lunchmeat wrapped around cheese, pickle or vegetables
    hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, rolled omelet, omelet muffins, mini quiche
    stuffed peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumber, zucchini boats,
    zuchinni noodles
    raw veggies and hummus
    yogurt and fruit
    peanut butter spread on sliced banana or apple
    bean or lentil salad
    cottage cheese vegetable salad

A quick search on somewhere like pinterest can give you lots of ideas for lunches without bread-
    https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=low carb lunch&rs=typed&0=low
    https://www.pinterest.com/vicki269/low-carb-lunches/

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Take a cucumber slice it in half length wise. Carve out the seeds and use as bread. Also I have seen/made great cauliflower toast. Used it for a cauliflower grilled cheese and it was fabulous. Made cauliflower dough for a pizza before too.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    I really like bread, so I have all the nice things I always had, but only one slice of bread instead of two. Just had a half grilled brie, turkey & cranberry sauce sandwich with my lunchtime soup, instead of the whole one I would have preferred. I have one slice of toast and peanut butter for breakfast or a snack, instead of two. For the mathematically challenged, that reduces my bread consumption by approximately half. ;)

(Also, this is real bakery sliced bread. I don't think we get the low cal stuff here in Canada).
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited April 2016
    I usually take my sandwich stuff like turkey and cheese and dip it in mustard and eat it that way..id rather have more calories of those than the bread to go with it. Or if i really want it i have an Arnold sandwich thin for 100 calories.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    For sandwiches I like to skip the bread and use lettuce leafs instead. This way I can have a little more protein and vegies/cheese. I actually dont even miss the bread. Of course this wont work with a banana sandwich.. but maybe when you do have that sandwich try a lower calorie/higher fiber choice like a flat out or english muffin with whole grain. That way you wont feel as guilty because you know that bread is better for you and worth the calories. Soup is a good lunch choice too. I made a batch of chicken tortilla soup the beginning of this week and it turned out amazing. It ended up being six- 1 1/2 cup servings so that is 6 lunches or light dinners. Way cheaper and healthier than what Progresso makes in a can. As for anything, anything in moderation is okay but variety is key to keeping the boring out of you food routines.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    I'm a super boring eater and I've been eating less bread just because I've been eating less of everything trying to lose weight...

Sometimes I just take the components of a salad and put them on a plate and eat them separate. So, a piece of cheese, some lean meat, some cucumber, and some tomato and there I go. My breadless sandwich. I am, however, a little bit of a weird eater.

Other people have mentioned it too, but soups, wraps, and bowls are also great.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I buy 40 calorie bread. I'm not cutting back on bread or anything, just more about the calories.

I get this stuff
    647-product-img1.png

Works great for sandwiches.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I buy 40 calorie bread. I'm not cutting back on bread or anything, just more about the calories.
    I do the same, only with Aunt Millie's 35-calorie-per-slice alternatives. They're a little dry, but not bad once I add some veggies, a dab of dressing (usually vegan mayo or margarine) and a protein.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I have 1 serving of bread each day. Breakfast, after my exercise, is a protein shake and then I saute' onion and celery with 2 breakfast sausage links and then add an egg and stir it all together. When my bread is a whole wheat tortilla, I make a breakfast by wrapping this mess in the tortilla. When my bread is not a tortilla, I have this mess. Lunch is a hard boiled egg, a can of V-8 low sodium, and some almonds. Dinner is where I have my bread now, and it's a small piece of homemade corn bread among all the veggies, meat, starches and legumes.

I am aware that formerly I was having 2 pieces of whole wheat bread with my ham, egg, and cheese each morning and my occasional serving of corn bread was 2x the size I'm using now. Among all the other things I ate, those were part of maintaining my 272 lb starting point for this journey.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    rakowskidp wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I do the same, only with Aunt Millie's 35-calorie-per-slice alternatives. They're a little dry, but not bad once I add some veggies, a dab of dressing (usually vegan mayo or margarine) and a protein.

Haven't tried the Aunt Millie's, but the Schmidt I posted above is not dry at all and the slices are actually pretty thick. I've also gotten the Arnold Nature's Harvest Light Multigrain bread, and those have thin slices and can *sometimes* be dry, but not terribly so. I only switched because my store has a hard time stocking the Arnold all the time and I just happened to notice the Schmidt. Well, I think I'm officially switching to it because I really like it and I'm very pleased with the flavor and moistness.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    jkhoffe wrote: »
    Banana Sandwich and BLT? Doesn't really sound like you are doing no bread....

maybe I am lost

She's not doing no bread (that would be silly). She had bread at breakfast, and wants lunch to be easy, but something else.

I get in these sandwich ruts too. I eat a lot of soup. You can also change up your breakfast. Do you like Greek yogurt, or eggs?
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    I'm not sure WHY you're not eating bread, although I will say that I eat little bread because I prefer more bang for my buck calorically, and to eat less processed whenever possible. (But if I want bread, I eat bread)- anyways, some alternative that I use:

Corn Tortillas (80 cals for two, I have my eggs in them in the morning, instead of eggs on toast)
    Sweet Potatoes (Instead of peanut butter on bread, I put it on Sweet potatoes, almond butter too, and cashew butter, yum!)
    Nori - The sushi sheets, I wet them, and then I roll apple slices, turkey, and pickles, it's a turkey sandwich sushi style, pretty salty, I love it.