Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• billmoe92
    Options
    I just finally got my max bench above 225 again. My buddies and I are going to start a challenge here pretty soon that tests our improvements in the events of the NFL Combine. Since everyone is starting at different levels on the bench press, instead of testing increase in reps at 225, we are just going to test increase in max bench. Should be a fun challenge and a good way to stay motivated to train.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I just finally got my max bench above 225 again. My buddies and I are going to start a challenge here pretty soon that tests our improvements in the events of the NFL Combine. Since everyone is starting at different levels on the bench press, instead of testing increase in reps at 225, we are just going to test increase in max bench. Should be a fun challenge and a good way to stay motivated to train.
    its a great idea .. fuel up!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

That's more meaninful anyway, the NFL combine bench challenge is rather silly if you think about it. Who cares how many times a lineman can push 225lbs, I care how many times they can push 300lbs because that's at least how much the dude in front of them weights. They totally ignore the squat too, they should have a 500lb squat challenge or at least make the weight dependent on position.
    cardio kills muscle people!!!! i am only doing about 75% of what i used too..
    I'll drink to that. Some cardio is necessary though.
    I PRd again on deadlifts. 125 now - hopefully 150 very soon!

So hot :love:
    Bench 1 rep max

295 lbs

That's all I got
    Well, you got 30lbs on me my friend. ;)
    Not a PR but still.....
    My barbell rows had started to suck really bad. My form was getting horrible so I did a voluntary deload from 150 all the way back down to 100. This morning I was at 115 and they were the most beautiful feeling 5 sets of 5 rows I've ever experienced.

Yeah, sometimes you need to take a step back to take a step forward.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    the sooner you leave the ego at the door, the quicker you will have success building quality muscle mass.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I totally bombed out on my 405 attempt today. I got the 1st attempt about 4-inches off the ground and couldn't get it. I tried a 2nd attempt thinking that I got the cobwebs cleared out of my head now I'd get it and it didn't budge. I didn't think I'd have such a big swing in tension from 385 to 405, guess I better just hit 395 first next time. LOL! Then I tried to do some squat rep work and that sucked too, just not a good day at the gym. Oh well, leaving for California tomorrow morning, I'll get a short deload period at least.

Sumo? Generally if you can break the ground you "should" be able to lockout if technique is ok. Possibly more upper back work required.

Also, since people keep asking me what anti shrugs are for chinup help I thought I'd just make a quick vid :)

. http://tinyurl.com/cspbrx2
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I totally bombed out on my 405 attempt today. I got the 1st attempt about 4-inches off the ground and couldn't get it. I tried a 2nd attempt thinking that I got the cobwebs cleared out of my head now I'd get it and it didn't budge. I didn't think I'd have such a big swing in tension from 385 to 405, guess I better just hit 395 first next time. LOL! Then I tried to do some squat rep work and that sucked too, just not a good day at the gym. Oh well, leaving for California tomorrow morning, I'll get a short deload period at least.

Sumo? Generally if you can break the ground you "should" be able to lockout if technique is ok. Possibly more upper back work required.

Also, since people keep asking me what anti shrugs are for chinup help I thought I'd just make a quick vid :)

Nah, it was a conventional attempt. My Sumo max is about 50lbs short of my conventional DL max. I totally agree with Sumo, getting it off the ground is the battle there, lockout is easy. This week was a little messed up, I did speed work on Monday and because of my vacation I pushed my workout to today and I should've taken one more day in-between. Perhaps my lower back was still a little fatigued from Monday.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thanks for the vid. I sort of worked out what the anti-shrug should be like, but it's so much easier to understand if you see someone demonstrate it.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    no probs :)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Not a PR but still.....
    My barbell rows had started to suck really bad. My form was getting horrible so I did a voluntary deload from 150 all the way back down to 100. This morning I was at 115 and they were the most beautiful feeling 5 sets of 5 rows I've ever experienced.

That's awesome, I did the same thing this week...was at 155lbs for barbell rows, and wasn't happy, so I deloaded to 135 for a clean 5x5. Felt much better, and I felt a LOT more work being done by the muscles that should be doing the work.

Just because you CAN lift something...doesn't necessarily mean that's where you should be lifting yet.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Not a PR but still.....

That's awesome, I did the same thing this week...was at 155lbs for barbell rows, and wasn't happy, so I deloaded to 135 for a clean 5x5. Felt much better, and I felt a LOT more work being done by the muscles that should be doing the work.

Just because you CAN lift something...doesn't necessarily mean that's where you should be lifting yet.

So true. I hurt my shoulder for like a week doing a bunch of strict presses alternated with a bunch of pull ups.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I concur, as awful as it sounds I always get perverse joy from outlifting the boys... I even do it in my head when I read totals here... :blushing:
    Thanks. As if I didn't feel inadequate enough already...... :wink:

HA, we have to enjoy it while it lasts, because it doesn't last long!! I can tell you as a woman it can be very disheartening when a guy starts training and is lifting less than you and then get they kind of gains you took years to get in a couple of months :(
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Not a PR but still.....

That's exactly how it was. It felt like the right muscles were working how they should.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    New PR:

Power Clean: 2 x 1 at 185 lbs

I'm 158 pounds, so was pretty f'ing stoked about that.
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    New PR:

Deadlifts at 154 lbs....
    Going to finish Stage 1 of NROL4W , just 2 more workouts left and i am pretty happy with the progress so far.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Novice lifting comp today
    185kg squat (previous PB 170kg)
    205kg deadlift (previous PB 200kg) This was easy.

I got 220 to the knees but that was it. It will come :) BW 83kg.

This was from 3 weeks of Smolov base cycle at 170kg. It's effective!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Good Job Chris
  • InkedBeauty89
    InkedBeauty89 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just stared new rules this week. Second time trying deadlifts with a barbell (was using 20lb dumbells before i got the bar) and i was so ecstatic when i liften my own bodyweight. 145Lbs!! Only 2 reps but damn i impressed myslef haha.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I too am starting to really pick up deadlifting. I can't believe I wasn't doing this stuff before!

Went to the gym last week and tried 185lbs with success, then tried 235lbs and barely made it, but succes.

I went in earlier today.. and on deadlift alone I warmed up with 135x12, then pulled out 185x8, 225x5, was able to hit 275 and not quite able to pull off a 315lb deadlift yet. For my first full-on set of deadlifts though, I'll take it!

No other real PRs for the day, though I managed to get 8 reps in on the triceps press machine at 250lbs while managing to stay in the seat! (though in my buddy's gym where the floor is carpeted, I can stay in the seat and rep the stack)
  • Danflex
    Danflex Posts: 14
    Options
    I was not going to enter anything due to my upper versus lower numbers but what the heck.
    Never was a gym lifter, almost always from home
    In my twenties got in a bench of 315lb
    and two years ago hit 305lb and was proud of myself.
    Not concentrating on bench or upper body too much these days but today I actually went to a gym.
    Bench 255lb
    Standing barbell shoulder press 155lb
    Leg press 320 (deep). 360 seemed like I was going cause a hernia so i did not get it back up.
    Squat below parallel 135
    Just tried dead lifts for the first time ever. Started with 135 and threw on another 50 for 185. Did 5 reps which was enough for a first timer.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Impressive!