Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I actually had a PT at my gym compliment me on my form and depth, had his client at the time watch a set as he explain why to go parallel, how it engages the muscles etc.

Wow, another story of a trainer that knows what he's doing this week; I can't believe it.
    1) 253 lb squats, 6 reps. It was on the smith press (only machine available in my gym) but I'm still proud!
    2) 75lb chest press (smith) I forget the reps. Dumbbell I'm up to 40 lbs.

Not huge but works for me. I try to lift more every set and every week. My husband spotting me really helps with my gains!

Wow, that's hot! Hopefully the Smith Machine still allows you to get low.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

lil-jon-1.jpg

Sorry. I had to.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

lil-jon-1.jpg

Sorry. I had to.

It would be so dope to walk up to the water cooler at work with that cup and fill it up. That's cllllaaasssy!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on hook grip :) Am going to try adding some farmers walks to my workouts to see if that helps strengthen my left hand, also will make sure I lead my horse by the left as well - I swap sides but predominately we both like him being on my right. lol
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Bumped up a few of my leg weights a good bit today.

V-Squat (plate loaded) - 12x325, 10x365, 8x415, 6x455
    Iso-lateral Leg Press (weight and reps per leg, done alternating) - 12x160, 10x180, 8x200, 6x225
    Calf Press on [45 degree leg press station] - four sets, 15 reps, 670lbs

Also did two full sets on wide/neutral/chinup position pullups, one-armed, with 70lbs of assistance now. Time to drop it to 60 x_x
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I just finished my last week of my training cycle before deload week next week so I thought I would post my progress and have a little brag about my deadlift PB that I achieved today, which I am totally stoked about.

Deadlift: 3 x 200lb - so stoked on this one - it wasn't pretty, but I did it!

Squats: 10 x 135lb - I was having problems with my knees buckling in so went slow on the progress here - form is good now so I am looking forward to getting the weight up on my next cycle.

Bench: 10x 90lb - I was really stalled out on this for a while at 70lb until a few weeks ago, but tweaked my form and added more tricep work and my progression is coming along nicely here now.

Overhead press: 10 x 60lb - not very heavy here as I only transitioned from DB press a few weeks ago so I started pretty light. I am happy with the progress though.

I am looking forward to the next cycle when I can up these weights.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Oh, and talking about good trainers, I think I had a result at the gym this morning. There was this guy doing squats, cleans and snatched and he had excellent form. So I mentioned it to him when I was leaving (just in case he thought I was a creeper when I was watching him while I was between sets!) and found out he has trained in Olympic and powerlifting for years and actually happened to to be a trainer at that gym. Plus he mentioned that another trainer was a total fanboy of Wendlers (which I am doing). So, I got his contact info - I have wanted to add in Olympic lifting for a while but have been really leery of getting a good trainer and am not comfortable doing them without some guidance as they are so technical. This turn of events was suprising as the gym I use, whilst really well equiped with adjustable squat racks and power cages, is really more of a health club than a serious lifting gym.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I just finished my last week of my training cycle before deload week next week so I thought I would post my progress and have a little brag about my deadlift PB that I achieved today, which I am totally stoked about.

Squats: 10 x 135lb - I was having problems with my knees buckling in so went slow on the progress here - form is good now so I am looking forward to getting the weight up on my next cycle.

Bench: 10x 90lb - I was really stalled out on this for a while at 70lb until a few weeks ago, but tweaked my form and added more tricep work and my progression is coming along nicely here now.

Overhead press: 10 x 60lb - not very heavy here as I only transitioned from DB press a few weeks ago so I started pretty light. I am happy with the progress though.

These are really great numbers! you must be proud :)

Can I ask while your cutting do you lift the same or less? Ideally I'm cutting at the moment but am new so looking to improve my lifts but mainly working on form.

I did work out a way to make a deadlift on the cable machines yesterday, there is a very light barbell that attaches by hooks, it's too long to deadlift from the ground but I can use a step (like aerobics) to bring myself up a bit. I deadlifted 3 x3 60kg this way, the bar is marked up for 100kg max though. but that is a good way ahead! did sets of grab & snatch at just 27kg but worked on technique - I found the driving up harder at 30kg. Also farmers walk at 28kg. :)

Oh and got my first blister / callous so having to take my wedding ring off when I lift now! lol
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options

You know what i think!! Awesome work Sara.

Double 45s next round!!! You got it! No pressure! :P
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    How am I just finding this thread. This is it in a nutshell.

Squats 135 5*5
    Leg press 230 5*5
    DB Chest Press 32.5 5*5
    DB Rows 35 5*5
    Dip Machine 125 5*5
    Deadlift 145 5*5
    DB Shoulder Press 27.5 5*5
    Assisted Chin-Up 5*5
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You know what i think!! Awesome work Sara.

Double 45s next round!!! You got it! No pressure! :P

Thanks....and double 45s - no problem, right! That is a few cycles off. :happy:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Rockstar!
  • tobnrn
    Options
    Pretty excited. Just did deadlifts. 155 lbs 5*3 & 145 5*2. Not as impressive as ms. Sara but still a best for me. Not to shabby for someone who hasnt been doing it long.

Still afraid to see what my 1 rep max is.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Pretty excited. Just did deadlifts. 155 lbs 5*3 & 145 5*2. Not as impressive as ms. Sara but still a best for me. Not to shabby for someone who hasnt been doing it long.

Still afraid to see what my 1 rep max is.

Its not the same as actually doing it, but there are a bunch of online calculators that can give you a hypothetical 1RM based on your weight and reps you did on your last set if you are interested.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me my fav is my leg press. My best so far(last weekend) was 220lbs. Oh and yesterday I hit a PB with my chest press at 95lbs. :)
  • tobnrn
    Options
    For me my fav is my leg press. My best so far(last weekend) was 220lbs. Oh and yesterday I hit a PB with my chest press at 95lbs. :)

I love the leg press as well. Just added them in on squat days.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Can I ask while your cutting do you lift the same or less? Ideally I'm cutting at the moment but am new so looking to improve my lifts but mainly working on form.

I did work out a way to make a deadlift on the cable machines yesterday, there is a very light barbell that attaches by hooks, it's too long to deadlift from the ground but I can use a step (like aerobics) to bring myself up a bit. I deadlifted 3 x3 60kg this way, the bar is marked up for 100kg max though. but that is a good way ahead! did sets of grab & snatch at just 27kg but worked on technique - I found the driving up harder at 30kg. Also farmers walk at 28kg. :)

Oh and got my first blister / callous so having to take my wedding ring off when I lift now! lol

Thank you.

I am cutting. So far I have never bulked on purpose! I will be bulking at some point, probably later this year as I lost a shed load of muscle mass due to illness a few years ago so I want to get my LBM back up again.

I used to have only have a callous on my right hand only from lifting with a ring I used to wear - but that was back when I did not do many of the lifts I do now. I now have them on both hands hands.

I am hoping one of the more experienced folks can weigh in here, but I would think trying to improve form on deadlifts using the cable machines may not be a good idea and it could get you into bad habits.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Thank you.

I am cutting. So far I have never bulked on purpose! I will be bulking at some point, probably later this year as I lost a shed load of muscle mass due to illness a few years ago so I want to get my LBM back up again.

I used to have only have a callous on my right hand only from lifting with a ring I used to wear - but that was back when I did not do many of the lifts I do now. I now have them on both hands hands.

I am hoping one of the more experienced folks can weigh in here, but I would think trying to improve form on deadlifts using the cable machines may not be a good idea and it could get you into bad habits.

i noticed you said right hand on that "ring you used to wear" so i can make a funny stab at that.... :P lol

I am really no fan of any cables or machines to replica the big lifts! Personally i'd rather see you use dumbells and concenrate more on form. But thats just my opinion.
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    1RM for bench = 60kg (132 pound)

We tried for 65kg (143 pound), but my right shoulder couldn't handle it. Next time I WILL stick the 65kg!

We ran out of time to get the leg press and others done because we had a weigh in and measurements and After photo for the 10 week fitness challenge I entered. That ate up a bit of time. I shall post my other PBs on Wednesday :D

*does happy dance*
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    1RM for bench = 60kg

We tried for 65kg, but my right shoulder couldn't handle it. Next time I WILL stick the 65kg!

We ran out of time to get the leg press and others done because we had a weigh in and measurements and After photo for the 10 week fitness challenge I entered. That ate up a bit of time. I shall post my other PBs on Wednesday :D

*does happy dance*

Well done and I am sure you will get it next time

That's great that you are having before and after pics done.