Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• Lynxie83
    Options
    First day back at the weights after having to take a little over 2 weeks off because of pneumonia. Soooo bummed at how much I had to deload everything. Squats 110 5*5, linear leg press 180 5*5, DB chest press 25 5*5, DB rows 25 5*5, negative dips 5*5 assisted @ 95. Sooooo frustrating.

At least you're back at it and I'm sure you'll be back to your normal weights soon :bigsmile:
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I hit a PR this morning with bicep curls. I'm now curling with 20 lb dumbbells. :bigsmile:
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Started on my newest microcycle of bench press today, the goal was four reps of 185lbs, which I think I had done maybe once previously.

After the warmup (which I bumped to 12x115 and 10x135), I managed 5x185, then 6x185.

Pretty standard workout day otherwise, I did decide that at the end of every workout for now on that I will do a quarter mile or two worth of sprinting. I'm not a huge fan of running, but I love some sprints here and there. I think today's was shortly under 1:30, not too bad for jogging 7.5mph for the first 40 seconds.

(maybe I'll even modify it to a quarter mile sprint followed by a simple quarter mile jog - having an elevated heart rate at a jogging pace should help out if I ever decide I want to try to run faster miles!)
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Started on my newest microcycle of bench press today, the goal was four reps of 185lbs, which I think I had done maybe once previously.

After the warmup (which I bumped to 12x115 and 10x135), I managed 5x185, then 6x185.

Pretty standard workout day otherwise, I did decide that at the end of every workout for now on that I will do a quarter mile or two worth of sprinting. I'm not a huge fan of running, but I love some sprints here and there. I think today's was shortly under 1:30, not too bad for jogging 7.5mph for the first 40 seconds.

(maybe I'll even modify it to a quarter mile sprint followed by a simple quarter mile jog - having an elevated heart rate at a jogging pace should help out if I ever decide I want to try to run faster miles!)

Oh nooo... another Beans follower with the running....... lol

Anyway... You will prolly do yourself more justice to do intervals. Easy jog 1 min > Sprint 1 min > Walk 1 min. Repeat Cycle. x3 walk last 6 mins as a cool down. 15 mins total.

Edit to add.... Good job on the Bench
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So I am still waiting for the end of the week to post my full week but wanted to post my squats that I did today as I am totally stoked - BODY WEIGHT!! Sorry for shouting :tongue:

I was scheduled to do 155lb, which I did 5 reps at but because I was feeling strong and its my deload week I decided to go for 165lb which is a little above my body weight - I did 2 reps at this weight. Form was really good on the first, but my core caved a little on the second so I decided to call it a day.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Huzzah! Sara you rock!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Huzzah! Sara you rock!

Thank you.

And I just realized that I said its my deload week - I meant to say its my deload week next week!
  • Lynxie83
    Options
    Nothing too flash, but I did goblet squats for the second time today... we did it with a 6kg DB, but I managed really good range which is extremely good given my knee problems! I'm slowly getting those muscles back into good shape and I might even be able to do my lunges soon... :bigsmile:

Excited about lunges... something must be wrong with me :laugh:
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Options

Anyway... You will prolly do yourself more justice to do intervals. Easy jog 1 min > Sprint 1 min > Walk 1 min. Repeat Cycle. x3 walk last 6 mins as a cool down. 15 mins total.

Thanks! Yeah, I much prefer intervals over steady state running, and that is probably what I will stick with. In fact, that cycle you mentioned is often what I end up doing. I did that a lot last year and would end up with sometimes a sub-9 minute mile walking a third of the time, lol.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Thanks! Yeah, I much prefer intervals over steady state running, and that is probably what I will stick with. In fact, that cycle you mentioned is often what I end up doing. I did that a lot last year and would end up with sometimes a sub-9 minute mile walking a third of the time, lol.

The timing is probably even less. I can't remember but I'm pretty sure Tim Henriques wrote an article not too long ago about cardio and recommended intervals of 40 seconds (slow) and 5 to 15 seconds (sprint/fast). I pretty much just sprint the straight-aways on the track walk, sprint, walk, sprint, walk.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So I am still waiting for the end of the week to post my full week but wanted to post my squats that I did today as I am totally stoked - BODY WEIGHT!! Sorry for shouting :tongue:

I was scheduled to do 155lb, which I did 5 reps at but because I was feeling strong and its my deload week I decided to go for 165lb which is a little above my body weight - I did 2 reps at this weight. Form was really good on the first, but my core caved a little on the second so I decided to call it a day.
    YEAH SARA!!!! You are the *kitten*!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

The timing is probably even less. I can't remember but I'm pretty sure Tim Henriques wrote an article not too long ago about cardio and recommended intervals of 40 seconds (slow) and 5 to 15 seconds (sprint/fast). I pretty much just sprint the straight-aways on the track walk, sprint, walk, sprint, walk.

TEAM BEANS FTW! :wink:

Run HARD, Lift HEAVY!
  • JNick77
    Options

TEAM BEANS FTW! :wink:

Run HARD, Lift HEAVY!

I worry about the corners of the gym track because their windows and I can so see myself tripping or not slowing down in-time and gong out the 2nd story window. LOL
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Options
    Pushing the envelope!

Did my scheduled warmup for bench and first set of 185lb bench reps.. got 5 like last time. I decided to try 195 and see if I could still hit the goal of at least 4.. I pulled 5. OH YEAH

Switched up other stuff for today though. I introduced my friend to back extensions (he even did some of the same plate loads that I used, up to 115lbs), isometric pull-ups, and also got him onto the leg press to hit some calves, where he definitely did well. He even got me to hit a burnout set - 40 reps at 620lbs.. that burned!
  • JNick77
    Options
    "Very few people can train the deadlift week after week and still make progress. I feel the only ones who can get away with this are the ones who're built to deadlift. If you're built to pull, then the stress on your system is going to be less than those who aren't built to deadlift." - Dave Tate

I read that and felt inspired to DL this week. Last week of 5/3/1 before deloading and I got 8 reps @ 330lbs on the DL today, been feeling strong all week to be honest. Now the BEST part of today is that I found a Glute Hamraise bench in my new gym!!! It was in this corner behind all these machines and people were storing there Pilates bands on it, poor bench. Such a great piece of equipment shouldn't be embarrassed like that. I saw it and it was like the sky and heavens opened up and all was right in the world. I have never done a Glute Hamraise before (watched videos) and let me tell you, it is brutal on your hamstrings. I thought RDL's hit the hammies good, which they do, but the GHR hits them better. 5 sets of 10... no way. I got 2 sets of 10, a set of 8 and a set of 6 and my hammies were done. They will be very sore tomorrow I can just tell.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Nice. Do love the GHR's. Wish I had one! You'll be adding weight to them in no time :smile:
  • nickjnelly
    Options
    This is my deadlift, 455lbs X 3 Reps.
    I can go higher but doing more weight starts to really feel.. uncomfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghe3Kwa0Ysw
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

strong pulling. especially w/o a belt on.
  • nickjnelly
    Options

strong pulling. especially w/o a belt on.

Thanks man, since that time i have worked on grip strength and can do 435 X 3 Without any straps. I am very happy about that.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Nice. Do love the GHR's. Wish I had one! You'll be adding weight to them in no time :smile:

I thought I'd really be struggling with them, glad to see that my posterior chain work has paid off. That's really quite the hamstring exercise; I see why powerlifters use them so much.

That's a nice pull.