Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options
JNick77
JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
There's another thread going on that's discussing deadlifting and the topic started to turn into a conversation about everybody's individual's progress, which is awesome! There's been some great gains by various folks and it's really interesting to see what people have accomplished and even how they got there. I wanted to create a positive thread where people can take some pride in their success and not be made to feel like they're gloating and definitely not get made fun of.

Let's try and stick to some basic ground rules:
1. Your personal record has to be related to weight lifting. Cardio is great but let's create a separate thread for that and stay focused on lifting here.
2. The personal record can be a maximum weight or a maximum rep record (i.e. 200lbs for 1rep or 150lbs for 5reps). Just indicate what the lift/exercise was, how much weight you lifted, and for how many reps.
3. Nobody is to negatively judge anybody else's strength or progress, just remember there's always a bigger fish no matter how big or strong you might be so don't please don't judge.
4. Be proud of what you accomplished.
5. Keep this positive or please just don't participate.

Have fun and here's to picking heavy **** up and putting it back down! :drinker:

Replies

• JNick77
    Options
    I'll start.

Last week was my 4th week using a new method. I hit a 385lb deadlift for a 1-rep max which is 30lbs heavier than my last attempt. I also hit a 230lb 1-rep max on the Incline bench press. It's not great but it's the first time I've done an incline bench in at least a year.

This week I'm gong to max out on the Back Squat and the Low-Pin Bench Press.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    awesome idea... i'm on that DL thread and agree... its been great to see everyone progression and no one mocking or disgracing anyone for their accomplishments... MFP threads needs more of this!!

/Cheers
  • JNick77
    Options
    awesome idea... i'm on that DL thread and agree... its been great to see everyone progression and no one mocking or disgracing anyone for their accomplishments... MFP threads needs more of this!!

/Cheers

Agreed, enough of the common nonsense that gets annoying. Just post your accomplishments, maybe compare some training notes, and just BS about lifting.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Great idea for a thread! Lets hope this thread is also free of douchebaggery.

Not much to brag about as I've really only been lifting for a few months, but managed to break the 100kg barrier with my deadlifts this week (102kg X5) with good form.

230lb on incline bench is awesome btw!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Last week i did 195lb low bar squat. That was after a week off from the gym :smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Great lifts!

This week I finally got around to testing 1RM's in the big lifts:

Squat: 290
    Bench Press: 205
    Deadlift: 375
    Overhead Press: 125
    (@ 158 lbs body weight)

This is not exactly bragging, as I feel like a weakling compared to a lot of you guys. I wanted a 300 squat, a 400 deadlift, and a 215 bench. Next time.

I'm doing Wendler's 5/3/1 and diggin it. Now I'm debating whether to reset right now, or keep going and do another cycle or 2. I've done 4 cycles so far. I'm leaning towards resetting, mostly because I'm still in a calorie deficit and I feel my gains are dwindling. I can hit it really hard again next time I'm eating maintenance or surplus. But then the little voice in my head is asking, "is that a cop out?"
  • JNick77
    Options
    Great idea for a thread! Lets hope this thread is also free of douchebaggery.

Not much to brag about as I've really only been lifting for a few months, but managed to break the 100kg barrier with my deadlifts this week (102kg X5) with good form.

230lb on incline bench is awesome btw!

Thanks!

Only a few months and you've already broke 102kg's, nice job! Some of what's holding you back could just be form. Not implying it's necessarily bad but as you just get more practice in you'll get stronger from just getting more comfortable with the lift itself. Very cool!
    Last week i did 195lb low bar squat. That was after a week off from the gym

I have never seen any woman squat, with good form at least, more than 135lbs so nice work! That's so awesome and so hot at the same time. ;)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    You could be right on that. It's all self taught as the gym I go to isn't focused on weight training at all (more for circuit/cardio training). I'm seriously looking at another gym where every one of the staff competes, mostly BB, but there are also a few power lifters there. I think just having them to keep an eye on my form will be useful. I'd never even attempted a deadlift until 5 months ago... so much wasted time... :ohwell:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My only lift that I feel good enough to brag about is my deadlift. I only started doing them for the first time about 10 or so weeks ago and was up to 5 reps at 180lb. I know a lot of ladies out there can do much more, but I just really liked the progress on that particular lift.

I started Wendler's 5/3/1 this week so my weights are reset and I am not expecting any new PRs until at least the next cycle. :frown: Hopefully the program will set me up to progress further though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Last week i did 195lb low bar squat. That was after a week off from the gym :smile:

That is totally kick *kitten*
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Love this thread! Thank you btw....

I beat my personal best last week... 145 dead lift, 245 leg press....and LOVE EVERY MINUTE of weight days!!! I have only been lifting for 3 months...but it has been the single best change that I have made to transform my body. Still a ways to go....But making the boys cry at the gym every third day...it will come someday!! :drinker:
  • ChrisGoldn
    Options
    Yea, Form is so important especially in the big lifts...

My Girl friend who comes lifting with me alot. was struggling with 95lbs deadlifting because her form was very bad. I set her in the right form and few sets later she easily pulled 155lbs for 5 reps.(5'4 121lbs)!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    My only lift that I feel good enough to brag about is my deadlift. I only started doing them for the first time about 10 or so weeks ago and was up to 5 reps at 180lb. I know a lot of ladies out there can do much more, but I just really liked the progress on that particular lift.

I started Wendler's 5/3/1 this week so my weights are reset and I am not expecting any new PRs until at least the next cycle. :frown: Hopefully the program will set me up to progress further though.

Super! The nice thing about Wendler's is that you CAN make PR's every time, when do the last set for reps. You'll be lifting a lesser weight, but maybe you'll push out 10 or so reps of it....
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Last week i did 195lb low bar squat. That was after a week off from the gym

I have never seen any woman squat, with good form at least, more than 135lbs so nice work! That's so awesome and so hot at the same time. ;)

Victoria has hot covered man :).

By the way, awesome work girl!

My PR's are my current working sets:

Deadlift - 315lbs x4
    Chin Up - Bodyweight +25lbs x5 (219lbs total)
    Bench - 250lbs x5 (hammer strength machine due to shoulder injury)
    Dip - Bodyweight +70lbs x6 (262lbs total)
    Squat - 275lbs x9 (I need to increase my weight...first time doing squats...I followed it pretty easily with 275x5, and 275x6 to close out my sets)
    Calf Raise - 450lbs x4

Right now, that's the entirety of my lifting program lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Super! The nice thing about Wendler's is that you CAN make PR's every time, when do the last set for reps. You'll be lifting a lesser weight, but maybe you'll push out 10 or so reps of it....

I actually did 15 reps on the last set of my bench press, which was at my prior working weight at 3x8 reps. So I was really happy with that. Thinking about it, I should (hopefully) be able to get a PR next week if all goes to plan on at least the bench.
  • ChrisGoldn
    Options
    My Current PRs (Working Sets)

Bench 295x4
    Incline DB Bench 110x4
    Chest DB Flyes 60x5
    Standing Overhead Press 165x2
    Deadlift 365x5
    Squat 370x5
    Leg Press Machine for Calf Raises 655x10 ( My Gym Standing Claf Raise doesnt go high enough for me to feel anything :/ )

Current BW 213
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    great thread!

Current 1rm's
    squat 170kg (375lbs)
    deadlift 200kg (440lbs) That was from 2.5" deficit
    bench 108kg (238lbs but untested recently because of shoulder)
    SOHP 70kg (154lbs)
    Chinup +60kg (132lbs)

Current BW 82kg (180lbs)

Currently running smolov squat program week 1 (just the base cycle) and have a powerlifting comp on 18th August so hoping to break some PB's there.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just had a 125lb deadlift, 30# over my previous best
    75lb back squat, 25# over the previous
    and this morning I progressed from the 25# training bar to 65# power clean

as for reps, I had 7 rounds of 10 reps with 1 minute rest in between this morning on push press at 65#. My shoulders are angry now!

yay for picking up heavy sh...!! (I've only been lifting since April)
  • JNick77
    Options

Good for you. I really like that method for most people.
    beat my personal best last week... 145 dead lift, 245 leg press....and LOVE EVERY MINUTE

That's great! You ladies in this thread are stronger than many men I see at my gym. Way to go!

@Goldn326: nice stats!
    I just had a 125lb deadlift, 30# over my previous best
    75lb back squat, 25# over the previous
    and this morning I progressed from the 25# training bar to 65# power clean

Nice progress!
  • Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    2010 is when I started to set yearly goals.....by December 31st of that year.

Personal Best
    2010 34 reps of 225 flat bench (goal 35 reps)
    2011 17 reps of 315 flat bench (goal 20 reps)
    2012 2 reps of 405 flat bench (goal 450 lbs)