Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    in week 7 of StrongLifts 5x5 (first time seriously lifting weights).

Squat 225# 5x5
    Deadlifts 245# 1x5
    BenchPress 130# 3x5 2X4 (didn't quite make 5x5, try again tomorrow)
    Overhead 100# 3x5 1x4 1x2 (hate overhead press, try again in a few days)
    Row 130 5x5

My upper body was non-existent when I started so they have been progressing slower, but I couldn't even do 1 squat at 225# or pick up the bar for an attempted Deadlift at 245# when I started. Hope to breakthrough on the Overhead and Benchpress, I would hate to max out so low...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Squat 225# 5x5
    Deadlifts 245# 1x5
    Row 130 5x5

My upper body was non-existent when I started so they have been progressing slower, but I couldn't even do 1 squat at 225# or pick up the bar for an attempted Deadlift at 245# when I started. Hope to breakthrough on the Overhead and Benchpress, I would hate to max out so low...

Nice progress. Sometimes slow progress in certain lifts just comes down to simple genetics, some of us are built better for certain things. Then some of us are freaks (not me unfortunately) and rock at everything.

The OHP can be tricky. Remember it's not push straight up, it's pretty much up and over your head. When you bring it back down use your lats to help support the weight on the eccentric.

SL5x5 isn't a bad program but this, in my opinion at least, is where it comes up a little short. Tricep strength is very important in all pressing movements and lat strength is actually fairly important in both the OHP and Bench as well and SL's doesn't have you doing any supporting lifts. I would strongly consider at least adding some heavy tricep work to your routine. I just started doing incline JM Presses for 5 sets of 6-8 reps and I must say it's a pretty bad-*kitten* tricep exercise. I don't recall how many times SL's has you bench pressing a week but I would also consider making one of those days a Close-Grip Bench Press day. If it's only once a week then rotate it every other week or every 3 weeks. Flat Bench (normal grip) for one or two weeks then Flat Close Grip Bench for one or two weeks. You don't have to Flat Bench with a normal grip every session to improve your bench strength.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    SL5x5 isn't a bad program but this, in my opinion at least, is where it comes up a little short. Tricep strength is very important in all pressing movements and lat strength is actually fairly important in both the OHP and Bench as well and SL's doesn't have you doing any supporting lifts. I would strongly consider at least adding some heavy tricep work to your routine. I just started doing incline JM Presses for 5 sets of 6-8 reps and I must say it's a pretty bad-*kitten* tricep exercise. I don't recall how many times SL's has you bench pressing a week but I would also consider making one of those days a Close-Grip Bench Press day. If it's only once a week then rotate it every other week or every 3 weeks. Flat Bench (normal grip) for one or two weeks then Flat Close Grip Bench for one or two weeks. You don't have to Flat Bench with a normal grip every session to improve your bench strength.

triceps and lats are important, but I think SL would cover the bases for starters.

I can tell you've read the book of methods from the JM presses.
    After his lifts get further along, he'll start figuring out what weaknesses he has to work on.

Personally I have triceps that can bench 260-270 but my lats and shoulders can't do it. So the extra triceps work I was doing didn't really have any carryover to my bench pressing.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

StrongLifts alternates between two workouts. One of them has Bench Press, and the other has Overhead Press. So assuming you're sticking to a 3-day per week schedule, you'll do each one three times in a two-week period (one week will have 2x bench and 1xOHP, and the next week is reversed).
  • JNick77
    Options
    triceps and lats are important, but I think SL would cover the bases for starters.

I can tell you've read the book of methods from the JM presses.
    After his lifts get further along, he'll start figuring out what weaknesses he has to work on.

Personally I have triceps that can bench 260-270 but my lats and shoulders can't do it. So the extra triceps work I was doing didn't really have any carryover to my bench pressing.

Yes, it was one of the best things I've read about lifting ever and I've read a lot. I have never done the JM Press, heard about it, so I gave it a shot and the next day my damn triceps were sore and I couldn't believe it. It's not like I haven't done heavy tricep work either. It's just something about that angle and then of course loading up a barbell on an incline bench helps. LOL!

One thing I've noticed since starting Westside is that by working on key weak points for both upper and lower body my lifts have gotten better and my joints feel all-around healthier. I've been plagued with shoulder pain for a couple years and lower back pain for a year. Both are basically gone now from taking the time to do some accessory work to hit those body parts. It's so simple too, right now I'm doing a tri-set of Front/Lateral/Rear delt raises and my shoulders feel really good. My back and hammies I've been doing lots of GM's, Back Hypers, Pull-Throughs or RDL's.
  • JNick77
    Options
    StrongLifts alternates between two workouts. One of them has Bench Press, and the other has Overhead Press. So assuming you're sticking to a 3-day per week schedule, you'll do each one three times in a two-week period (one week will have 2x bench and 1xOHP, and the next week is reversed).

That's cool. Me personally, just from knowing what I know now, if I were going to do it myself or work with somebody else on it I would definitely have the 2x Bench weeks be 1-day of Flat Bench work and 1-day of Close Grip work and then the 1x Bench weeks would be a rotation of the two.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Thanks dude. I appreciate the comments. I injured my knees running my last trail 50K in April and couldn't run. So I started as a weak 183lb ultrarunner to where I am now. I bought the SS book and made sure I was getting 200g+ of protein a day and was eating much more and obviously not running. I picked up my running again, but I think my distance days may be over. I think I will just settle for running a few time during the week and maybe 10 on Saturday's and throw in the odd 25K race. Yeah, it may eat into my gainz, but I'm OK with it. I've always had trouble finding balance, so being forced to give up distance was probably a blessing in disguise.
    After 3 months of Starting Strength, I've made some decent gains for an old guy (47). :o)

All weights refer to doing 3 sets of 5 reps
    Squat: 135 to 300
    Deadlift 135 to 305 (I know my deadlift should be better!)
    Overhead Press: 75 to 140
    Bench: 125 to 215
    Pendlay Rows: 95 to 170

I've gained 13lbs of muscle and about that much fat. An acceptable ratio for now! Progress has slowed, but I'm not yet ready to tweak programming. I still need to invest in a good belt. :o)

Those are actually exceptional gains.
    300x5 squat is pretty legit and those overhead and bench numbers are great as well.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Just hit my first 500lb deadlift at the end of my cut!

1 Rep max:
    Bench: 250
    Squat: 245 (never tried more)
    Deadlift: 500

Current weight ~185

Been working hard on bringing up the squat..and I refuse to cheat on the reps so the weight is going up slowly. Changing my split for my upcoming bulk and I'll be doing legs twice a week so Im really hoping to get the squat somewhere between 315 and 345 before January.

strong deads.
    you should definitely be squatting in the upper 3's with deadlift numbers like that.
    Typically when one of those lifts goes up, the other will too.

Yea I know my squats should be way higher, It's always been my worst lift (although I can leg press over 3x as much). I havent been seriously lifting for too long so it should go up quick. Just have alot more experience with the deadlift given log work as a kid
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've never tried for a 1-rep max but I'm still proud of my 200lb leg press (4x8reps) so I know I can do more. And I can finally bench more than the bar.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm totally impressed what strong women we have here!

ME too man! Freakin awesome :).
    Havent done any 1rm max in a while except for bench so here it goes. All other numbers are working sets this week. Current weight is 128. Yes I'm pretty light.

Bench: 1rm- 280
    Pull ups weighted: body+85x5
    Dips weighted: body+100x5
    Deadlifts: 290x5
    Squats: 250x5

Dude, that freakin rocks!

How tall are you out of curiosity?
    28, 5'3", 143lbs

only started lifting in june:

squat @ 110 (5x5)
    bench press @ 75 (5x5)
    deadlift @ 135 (1x5)

i haven't tried 1RM since i lift alone and don't want to hurt myself. hehe.

Those are pretty good numbers for a month of lifting. And don't worry on the 1rm's...I don't do them either lol.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    I'm totally impressed what strong women we have here!

ME too man! Freakin awesome :).
    Havent done any 1rm max in a while except for bench so here it goes. All other numbers are working sets this week. Current weight is 128. Yes I'm pretty light.

Bench: 1rm- 280
    Pull ups weighted: body+85x5
    Dips weighted: body+100x5
    Deadlifts: 290x5
    Squats: 250x5

Dude, that freakin rocks!

How tall are you out of curiosity?

Thanks Cris... 5'5 over here lol
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    That's cool. Me personally, just from knowing what I know now, if I were going to do it myself or work with somebody else on it I would definitely have the 2x Bench weeks be 1-day of Flat Bench work and 1-day of Close Grip work and then the 1x Bench weeks would be a rotation of the two.

I do something similar.
    I'm doing a 5x5 program so I have
    Mon- Squats, Bench, rows
    Wed- Squats, Overhead, Deads
    Friday- Squats, Bench, Rows

So depending on my shoulders, I'll switch my grips up on the two bench days. And I also box squat on wednesday instead of free squat. And rotate between a SSB and a regular barbell to save my biceps and my shoulders.

I can't do the same thing week after week, I like to have a bit of variety.
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great work everyone! I love to see other lifters!

I train half the year as a powerlifter and half the year as a bodybuilder. I love to feel the challenge of weight and the battle of steel...sometime the steel wins, its a very humbling sport. I also enjoy the unvailing of the hard work and constant dicipline as I shed the bodyfat and compete on stage.

Here are my personal best....its always a journey and I'm always trying to improve:

Dead 495
    squat 450
    bench 405

Keep the journey friends, I know I will.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options

Squat 225# 5x5
    Deadlifts 245# 1x5
    Row 130 5x5

update after today, though still a lot more to go but.... I hit my 130# bench 5x5 ( and I threw in an extra set with close grip to try it out) :drinker:
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options
    Great work everyone! I love to see other lifters!

I train half the year as a powerlifter and half the year as a bodybuilder. I love to feel the challenge of weight and the battle of steel...sometime the steel wins, its a very humbling sport. I also enjoy the unvailing of the hard work and constant dicipline as I shed the bodyfat and compete on stage.

Here are my personal best....its always a journey and I'm always trying to improve:

Dead 495
    squat 450
    bench 405

Keep the journey friends, I know I will.

impressive numbers, not sure if I will ever get there... I work out some with a few guys that do armature strong man competitions, they always make me feel so weak, never on purpose though they are always encouraging
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Squat 185
    Leg Press 315
    Deadlifts 135
    Seated Row 120
    Bench Press 75
    Very obvious I have a weaker upper body. I am working to get that stronger. my bench got up to 95 and then I hit a bump in the road with a shoulder injury.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell Single Arm Snatch last night I got up to the 80lb dumbbell for my last set of 5... I was really happy with that. I have been doing it only for just over two weeks now.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options
    Squat 185
    Leg Press 315
    Deadlifts 135
    Seated Row 120
    Bench Press 75
    Very obvious I have a weaker upper body. I am working to get that stronger. my bench got up to 95 and then I hit a bump in the road with a shoulder injury.

keep up the great work, you'll get back there... and awesome squat # :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The only lift I care to mention (and the only one I care to even do) is the squat - 225x6. I generally prefer calisthenics and circuit training over weight training, but I know that the lower body needs much more to work ti as effectively as simple calisthenics work the upper body, so I make it a point to devote time to the weight room specifically to use the squat rack. On days when the squat rack is occupied and I don't feel like waiting for it I'll do leg presses instead, which I do 500x8.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    :smile: Bumping - cause I can't keep up with the posts!

I'm getting back to weightlifting and plan to do more after my kid flies the nest for college (and I have more time!) lol

Can someone tell me what a Wenzler's 5/3/1 routine is - and how does that compare to the 5x5 stronglifts that I keep hearing about?

Thanks!

--edited : sorry! I see the conversation has turned to stronglifts, so I'll catch up there. Still, I'd like to know what Wenzler's is?