Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• avaadore2346
    Options
    Hello! haven't logged into this site for awhile but I found this thread and wanted to jump in.

I am 25, 5'6, female, 120lbs. I've been doing starting strength for roughly 3 months. I started with no training at all or fitness background.

Squat - 160 for reps, below parallel
    Deadlift - 180, 1 set
    Bench - 90
    Overhead Press - 70
    Row - 120

Before I started SS, I could barely even hang from a pull up bar, now I can do 4-5.. I love this program! I think all women should try it. It really makes you think about all those BS exercises that magazines and the media in general try to sell us and the way they try to make use feel about our bodies. I haven't lost a pound but I sure look and feel better... its really changed my perspective on everything.

The overhead press, for me, is the absolute hardest and the gains are the slowest.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    hit 295x5 on squats yesterday with a safety squat bar. My barbell PR is 300x5, so this was a pretty good set yesterday.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm at:

355 bench
    450 Deadlift
    405x5 on squats (I don't max)

All time highs are:
    355 bench
    unsure of deadlift, so I'll say 450 again (I've been stronger in other areas, but didn't do a 1 rm on it)
    495x8 on squat
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    495x8 on squat comes out to around a 630 projected 1RM.

That's borderline record level for a raw squat.

skepticalhippo.jpeg
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

skepticalhippo.jpeg

What is the calculation for projected 1RM?
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    found this site for measuring 1RM's

But i don't like using these, i'd rather test for real to find it myself ... But thats me.

Link: http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    found this site for measuring 1RM's

But i don't like using these, i'd rather test for real to find it myself ... But thats me.

Link: http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm

I can't access that link for some reason.

Working backwards from the numbers by ilovedeadlift though, it looks like she/he's saying that the 8 rep amount is about 78% of your max. That is about right for me I would say. My max is 97.5kg and i've done 75kg for reps before.... hmmmmm
  • ChrisGoldn
    Options
    Yea thats about right.

Formula (if you know your 1RM) is 1RMx .786 and that should be the working weight for 8 good reps.

If you do not know your RM you can use this formula to figure out your estimated 1RM (Copied from webpage)

Here's another formula for calculating one rep max. Take the number of reps * .033. Then add 1 to that number. Take that number and multiply the weight you used for the number of reps. Your one rep max should be within 5 pounds on either side.
    For example, if you do 155 for 8 reps, 8 * .033 = .264, 1 + .264 = 1.264, 1.264 * 155 = 195.92. So your one rep max in this example should be 195. It could be anywhere from 190 to 200.

Factors vary slightly for specific lifts but if you factor in the -/+ 5lbs you should fall in zone.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Hello! haven't logged into this site for awhile but I found this thread and wanted to jump in.

I am 25, 5'6, female, 120lbs. I've been doing starting strength for roughly 3 months. I started with no training at all or fitness background.

Squat - 160 for reps, below parallel
    Deadlift - 180, 1 set
    Bench - 90
    Overhead Press - 70
    Row - 120

Before I started SS, I could barely even hang from a pull up bar, now I can do 4-5.. I love this program! I think all women should try it. It really makes you think about all those BS exercises that magazines and the media in general try to sell us and the way they try to make use feel about our bodies. I haven't lost a pound but I sure look and feel better... its really changed my perspective on everything.

The overhead press, for me, is the absolute hardest and the gains are the slowest.

That is great to hear. I especially like the bit about not losing weight but feeling better. That's what it's all about right!

Ilovedeadlifts: good squatting!

Nataliaho: 1rm = (weight x reps x .0333) + weight And it is more accurate when using lower reps like 5 or less. Good for measuring progress at differing rep ranges though. And if you're not actually used to going close to 100% then there is a big mental factor in testing as well IMO.
  • jmayweather24
    Options
    My 1 Rep max stats are.
    DL=330
    BP=240
    Leg press=550
    Back squat I haven't maxed out on but its about 240lbs.
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    Thanks guys, very interesting. I've always gone the other way I guess, known my real 1RM and used percentages of that for different rep ranges.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    i'll come back to this in a year when my PR's aren't so lame. Lol.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

skepticalhippo.jpeg

Well, I did them. And yes, had I known how good it was I would have competed. I was 210 then too.

I would say that I probably do less than calculated on squat while I can actually 1rm about 20 lbs more than calculated from 5 reps on bench.
  • ChrisGoldn
    Options

Your PRs aren't lame... Everyone is at a different level. We don't judge in this thread. Everyone here started at your level at some point.

Just keep at it and always, always challenge yourself. Every time you do, you will be surprise just how much the body responds back by getting stronger.

:)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Yea thats about right.

Formula (if you know your 1RM) is 1RMx .786 and that should be the working weight for 8 good reps.

If you do not know your RM you can use this formula to figure out your estimated 1RM (Copied from webpage)

Here's another formula for calculating one rep max. Take the number of reps * .033. Then add 1 to that number. Take that number and multiply the weight you used for the number of reps. Your one rep max should be within 5 pounds on either side.
    For example, if you do 155 for 8 reps, 8 * .033 = .264, 1 + .264 = 1.264, 1.264 * 155 = 195.92. So your one rep max in this example should be 195. It could be anywhere from 190 to 200.

Factors vary slightly for specific lifts but if you factor in the -/+ 5lbs you should fall in zone.

I hate to admit this but my favorite calculation for determining a 1RM is from StrongLifts MadCow 5x5 spreadsheet. For me the above calculation was at least 10lbs too high if not more.

No way, as long as you're working hard and making some progress it doesn't matter; the numbers will come in time. Now if you came on here acting all bad-*kitten* because you have a 500lb raw squat, I would have more of an issue with that.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Interesting. It's always been pretty spot on for me. I pretty much only use it to determine gains at different rep ranges though not actually calculating 1rm so as long as you stick to one formula for comparison then it's all good :smile:
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Now if you came on here acting all bad-*kitten* because you have a 500lb raw squat, I would have more of an issue with that.

I *really* hope I didn't come across like that. I know perfectly well I'm not the top man on the totem pole, and that I'm no better than the next guy. Someone squatting 2x their bodyweight is much more impressive, and takes a lot more work than what I've put in so far.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to catch up to Nataliaho ;)

I did 80kg squats x 8 tonight.

I don't think my form was perfect for the last 2 but I'm working on it! Pushing out PB's every time I work with my trainer.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I forgot - Monday was deadlifts day. My working set was 5@215. Every single rep felt like work and it was really awesome. I finished my workout with 5 sets of cleans (3 with the bar, one @55, one @65). This was my first attempt at doing cleans and they were a little awkward but still felt pretty badass (even with the light weight). Got my heart rate up to finish off my workout.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Your PRs aren't lame... Everyone is at a different level. We don't judge in this thread. Everyone here started at your level at some point.

Just keep at it and always, always challenge yourself. Every time you do, you will be surprise just how much the body responds back by getting stronger.

a PR is a PR.
    be happy about it. I remember being stoked the first time I deadlifted 300 pounds.
    Now that's a warmup set.