Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So, uh, question ... last night I did incline bench presses using 30 pound dumbbells ... two sets of 12. I'm totally new to this type of thing and was having a little trouble stabilizing the weight on the way back down ... should I go lighter weight or less reps? (Please don't mock the newbie!) =)

No, that's part of building strength with the DB Bench, stabilizing the weight. ;) Keep up the good work.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    ^That, as long as you can push the weight up, the imbalance isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's crazy how much more difficult the dumbbell presses are, pound for pound, than barbell presses.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    agree with the above.

New PB of Ukranian Deadlifts at 64kg x55 yesterday. Previous was 53
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    agree with the above.

Woot Woot! You're a machine Chris!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    agree with the above.

Fantastic.
  • JNick77
    Options
    agree with the above.

Damn dude. What are you doing, like a Repetition Effort type training day?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Like I haven't shouted about it anywhere else.... 90kg x 6 on squats tonight.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    PR 25 lbs for alternating one handed kettle bell swings and 18 lbs for kettlebell snatches and cleans. I'm 59 and love kettlebells
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    agree with the above.

As in, done all my low rep heavy stuff for the day. Now just see how many times I can pick something moderately heavy up before I pass out :laugh:
  • JNick77
    Options
    agree with the above.

As in, done all my low rep heavy stuff for the day. Now just see how many times I can pick something moderately heavy up before I pass out :laugh:

Yeah basically like 1set to 3sets max and using a weight that you can do a minimum of 15 reps with and cranking out reps to failure.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Today was actually a pretty good session, but I swear I'll never slack off on the OHP again. After my 2nd week of being back on 5/3/1 today was my OHP session and I cranked out 10 reps at 135. I'm not too disappointed although at one point I was doing 155 for 10. Oh well, live and learn. Then I did 3 sets of max rep DB Shoulder Presses with 40lbs for 21 reps, 16 reps, and 12 reps. I actually felt a burn in my shoulders I hadn't felt in a long time. Then I cranked out weighted dips (+25lbs) for a 5sets and got 8reps on each, time to bump up the weight there. To top things off I finally had time to get some sprints in on my new gym's track AND I didn't pull a hamstring for a change, felt good.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Today was actually a pretty good session, but I swear I'll never slack off on the OHP again. After my 2nd week of being back on 5/3/1 today was my OHP session and I cranked out 10 reps at 135. I'm not too disappointed although at one point I was doing 155 for 10. Oh well, live and learn. Then I did 3 sets of max rep DB Shoulder Presses with 40lbs for 21 reps, 16 reps, and 12 reps. I actually felt a burn in my shoulders I hadn't felt in a long time. Then I cranked out weighted dips (+25lbs) for a 5sets and got 8reps on each, time to bump up the weight there. To top things off I finally had time to get some sprints in on my new gym's track AND I didn't pull a hamstring for a change, felt good.
    All around, very nice work! I bet you'll be able to get back to 155 ohp pretty quickly.
    And I fully support the running. Exxxxcellent.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Today was Deadlift Day.... Feeling pretty good today(well i was, now im sore lolz) After my 5x5 working sets(395) Had to see if i can break my PR. Bam!!! 465x3. I was Fired up! Inching so close to 500lbs

To Add my best friend Also did very well today.... @ 126lbs she is doing 5x5 175lbs Deadlifts. After a deload to rework form on her Squats she's up to 5x5 110lbs
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    All around, very nice work! I bet you'll be able to get back to 155 ohp pretty quickly.

Noooooo Nick Dont give in to the Dark Side!!!! lolz
  • JNick77
    Options

LOL, which side is that? The running? :D
  • MoreBean13
    Options

There is a group of very rude individuals here that think I am trying to mind-poison them in to running. It's not true at alllll......

@Goldn- Here, friend, have a bite of this apple. It's red and shiny and delicious. You can't say no to such a delicious apple....
  • JNick77
    Options

There is a group of very rude individuals here that think I am trying to mind-poison them in to running. It's not true at alllll......

@Goldn- Here, friend, have a bite of this apple. It's red and shiny and delicious. You can't say no to such a delicious apple....

I think running is death too but sprinting is a different story. :)
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Pretty decent efforts my last two days.

Did some more bench press yesterday, after the two warm-up sets I did manage two full sets of 10 reps at 165lbs. My 205 max is sure to fall soon enough!

Also hit up some deadlifting today - went through two warmup sets (12x155 and 12x185) with ease, then aimed for 10 reps on 205, but still cranked out 12 (probably could have gone a few more, in fact). So I bump to 245, and got seven reps in at that weight. Quite a rush considering just ten days ago I struggled to get 5x225.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Pretty decent efforts my last two days.

Did some more bench press yesterday, after the two warm-up sets I did manage two full sets of 10 reps at 165lbs. My 205 max is sure to fall soon enough!

Also hit up some deadlifting today - went through two warmup sets (12x155 and 12x185) with ease, then aimed for 10 reps on 205, but still cranked out 12 (probably could have gone a few more, in fact). So I bump to 245, and got seven reps in at that weight. Quite a rush considering just ten days ago I struggled to get 5x225.

Nice job!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    First day back at the weights after having to take a little over 2 weeks off because of pneumonia. Soooo bummed at how much I had to deload everything. Squats 110 5*5, linear leg press 180 5*5, DB chest press 25 5*5, DB rows 25 5*5, negative dips 5*5 assisted @ 95. Sooooo frustrating.