Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Feeling like a n00b ... How do you calculate the 1RM dealie?!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Benched 405 7 times today with a bad back and a headache.

Whoah! That is all.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I hit a new PR on the bench press tonight. I never have a spotter so I use the power rack but still am a little timid. Tonight I lifted 135 lbs and was okay with it. I got 5 reps out of it - 2 sets. I'd done previous sets at a lower weight.

Incline leg press still working at 820 lbs. I got 8 reps out of this tonight... again I'd done previous sets at a lighter weight (730 lbs).

Feeling strong.

135 is super awesome!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

That's ok. Not that many people know.

(weight x reps x.0333)+ weight = approx 1rm

It is more accurate with lower reps ie. 5 or less. And calculated and actually doing it are definitely different. The mental aspect of testing 1rm's is always a big thing.

I use this formula to determine perceived effort on sets e.g. last week of smolov squats, every single set I did was equivalent to a 175kg 1rm effort or more. Seeing as how my actual 1rm was 170kg at the time, I knew ALL of those sets were going to be very difficult.
  • Leanalgreen
    Leanalgreen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Benched 405 7 times today with a bad back and a headache.

You're a freakin monster! I did 405 for 2 a few years back and that was my best ever. I want to work back to it, but at a much lighter weight then I was then.
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been on a cut for the last six weeks so progress has stalled. Really looking forward to increasing weight on a slow bulk over winter.

Current Weight - 160
    BF% - 9%

One Rep Max
    Bench Press - 310
    Squats - 305
    Deadlifts - 320

Would like to get to 350 across the board.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

It is more accurate with lower reps ie. 5 or less. And calculated and actually doing it are definitely different. The mental aspect of testing 1rm's is always a big thing.

I use this formula to determine perceived effort on sets e.g. last week of smolov squats, every single set I did was equivalent to a 175kg 1rm effort or more. Seeing as how my actual 1rm was 170kg at the time, I knew ALL of those sets were going to be very difficult.

So if I can Deadlift 85kg x 5 my 1RM is 99kg?

That's AWSOME because my current goal is 100kg. :)
  • chrisdavey
    Options

That's right. It'a good indicator for sure but you still need to be used to the heavier weights. Have a go, you may just surprise yourself! :D

Sam high: you bench the same as you squat and deadlift basically? Are you talking a paused bench here as that seems quite strange?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

That's right. It'a good indicator for sure but you still need to be used to the heavier weights. Have a go, you may just surprise yourself! :D

Sam high: you bench the same as you squat and deadlift basically? Are you talking a paused bench here as that seems quite strange?

I agree Chris...210lbs for bench seems more natural as compared to those squat/deadlift numbers to me. I could be 100% wrong though...it's happened before =p.

But using me as an example, my (calculated...I don't 1RM, no spotter) 1RM for bench is 250lbs. My calculated for Squat and Deadlift are 385lbs and 360lbs respectively. I have short arms so pressing should come natural...but I'm 100lbs lower on my bench. His physique seems to rival mine pretty handily (we all know strength is a funny thing though), but I would be REALLY surprised (and impressed at that bench number!) if that isn't a typo...particularly considering you're activating almost every muscle in your core (including the most powerful muscles in your body) for the squat/deadlifts.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    agreed. Legs are bigger than arms. Should be able to lift more :tongue:

My deadlift & squat are almost double my paused bench.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    PR'd Deadlifts and bench today.

DL- 180 5x5
    Bench- wait for it....................85lbs 5x5

I have trouble with my bench and was stuck at 80 for.ever. so I deloaded and backed up to 70 about two weeks ago, and I'm finally progressing again. So I'm happy with it. :bigsmile:
    I'm also pretty psyched about the Deadlifts! :bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

DL- 180 5x5

I have trouble with my bench and was stuck at 80 for.ever. so I deloaded and backed up to 70 about two weeks ago, and I'm finally progressing again. So I'm happy with it. :bigsmile:

You are awesome!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Going for 315x5 DL tomorrow. :) thats like...2.19432764 x my BW. :tongue:
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    Awesome results Bean :D
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

DL- 180 5x5

You are awesome!

Thanks!
    and...
    Awesome results Bean :D
    Thanks!

I'm obviously not the strongest chick here, but I feel pretty good about my progression!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Going for 315x5 DL tomorrow. :) thats like...2.19432764 x my BW. :tongue:

You've got it man! Let us know how it goes :).
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have been on a cut for the last six weeks so progress has stalled. Really looking forward to increasing weight on a slow bulk over winter.

Current Weight - 160
    BF% - 9%

One Rep Max
    Bench Press - 310
    Squats - 305
    Deadlifts - 320

Would like to get to 350 across the board.

That's pretty tight; I don't know anybody that benches more than they squat. :)
    Going for 315x5 DL tomorrow. :) thats like...2.19432764 x my BW.

Easy! Own it!
  • wickednitsch
    wickednitsch Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just has to be a PR? Well then, for those of you feeling bad about the AMAZING weight you are lifting just because it is less than someone else's, here is my two PRs for the week:

1. I made it to the gym every day so far this week (count 'em folks, that's 3!) and actually worked a weight lifting program, and
    2. When I went to the gym yesterday with sore triceps and chest muscles I thought for SURE I couldn't do that day's arm workout (biceps & back) but was pleasantly surprised that my workout was isolated enough that I had no problems and rocked my sets. <--- I know this is common sense/basic science, but I have never physically experienced it and it was mind blowing!

In summary, I'm starting to lift weights for the first time in my 35 year life and I feel like I am learning. So there! Those are my little PRs that I am IMMENSELY proud of! :happy:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Just has to be a PR? Well then, for those of you feeling bad about the AMAZING weight you are lifting just because it is less than someone else's, here is my two PRs for the week:

1. I made it to the gym every day so far this week (count 'em folks, that's 3!) and actually worked a weight lifting program, and
    2. When I went to the gym yesterday with sore triceps and chest muscles I thought for SURE I couldn't do that day's arm workout (biceps & back) but was pleasantly surprised that my workout was isolated enough that I had no problems and rocked my sets. <--- I know this is common sense/basic science, but I have never physically experienced it and it was mind blowing!

In summary, I'm starting to lift weights for the first time in my 35 year life and I feel like I am learning. So there! Those are my little PRs that I am IMMENSELY proud of! :happy:

That's awesome :smile: And just so you know you can still lift just as much with DOMS. It really is a mental challenge though. Also, it does get better with time!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It really is a mental challenge though.

Weightlifting is a total mental challenge which is part of why I love it. I honestly think I've missed on just as many lift attempts because my head wasn't on straight as I did from pure strength limitation.