Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    I added weight to my chins, dips and squats today- not ready to call them PRs 'till I hit full reps/sets on them.

But- there were 2 guys squatting at the same time as me today- and I was outlifting both of them. I know it's not nice to compare yourself with others, but as a female when you can lift with the guys, it feels pretty bada$$!! I got nods of approval.

Totally awesome! I'd be cheering if I could do unassistend ones, let alone add weights! :drinker: Total bada$$!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I added weight to my chins, dips and squats today- not ready to call them PRs 'till I hit full reps/sets on them.

But- there were 2 guys squatting at the same time as me today- and I was outlifting both of them. I know it's not nice to compare yourself with others, but as a female when you can lift with the guys, it feels pretty bada$$!! I got nods of approval.

Totally awesome! I'd be cheering if I could do unassistend ones, let alone add weights! :drinker: Total bada$$!

If you mean the chins and dips- They're still assisted! Please girl, When I get to unassisted ones there will be a dedicated thread, and a party, and a real cake with real sugar and frosting! When I say I "added weight" I mean I lowered the assistance. I'm at 28lbs assistance now. Sorry to imply I'm doing something I'm not!
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options

If you mean the chins and dips- They're still assisted! Please girl, When I get to unassisted ones there will be a dedicated thread, and a party, and a real cake with real sugar and frosting! When I say I "added weight" I mean I lowered the assistance. I'm at 28lbs assistance now. Sorry to imply I'm doing something I'm not!

Don't worry! I was probably just too excited for you to read your original post correctly! haha! Still an awesome result!!! :bigsmile:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If you mean the chins and dips- They're still assisted!

You're still improving, good stuff! You'll get there one day.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Yeah Buddy! Originally my goal was to get there (5x5s) by the end of the summer- that now seems very unlikely. I still may try to knock out one single unassisted chin up before my 30th birthday (Sept 4). I would be VERY happy with that.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Yeah Buddy! Originally my goal was to get there (5x5s) by the end of the summer- that now seems very unlikely. I still may try to knock out one single unassisted chin up before my 30th birthday (Sept 4). I would be VERY happy with that.

Awesome work Beans. I know the feeling about party when I finally hit my chins 5*5. Its getting close. I can do 1 unassisted in each set & the rest negatives. Cant wait to bang those puppies out.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    don't forget the anti shrugs people who can't do chinups!

SMOLOV is DONE! Made 160kgx3 (x9 sets) and got 5 reps on last set. VERY happy! Bring on PL comp this Saturday! :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n--x8-Xfh4o&list=UUg5G7qUcxNgCaJQhiIxr3sA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Awesome work Beans. I know the feeling about party when I finally hit my chins 5*5. Its getting close. I can do 1 unassisted in each set & the rest negatives. Cant wait to bang those puppies out.

Awesome work ladies!! I am working on chin ups too! Using the assisted pull up machine. My goal right now is to do 1 unassisted :) I'm inspired by you!!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love seeing the ladies lifting so heavy! It's very encouraging!
    It's nothing to brag about as I am just really starting to progress with weights and still learning but so far I'm doing:

200 lb leg press 3 sets 6 reps
    65 lb chest press 2 sets 6 reps
    85 lb deadlifts 2 sets 6 reps
    115 lb squats 3 sets 6 reps

Keep at it - it doesn't matter how much you lift, it just matters that you're lifting well! You can keep chasing those bigger numbers, but without learning form and the basics, you're just asking for damage.

I don't post my numbers to brag over other people - I'm still just a big squishy guy, and so many people are better toned and look a lot better in the mirror than me. I post my numbers to compete with my only opponent: me. If I keep my numbers public, it just pushes me to go that much harder next time.
    Very well put.

Everyone has different goals and different starting points. Comparing yourself to other people doesn't get you to those goals any faster. I have to keep reminding myself of that too. I'm a pretty big guy who twenty years ago was lifting easily twice what I lift now. Until recently I hadn't lifted in well over 15 years and hadn't been doing anything to keep myself strong so it's very hard for me not to compare what I'm doing now with what I could do when I was 20. I also have different goals now than I did at 20.

The important thing is to keep moving that weight - regardless of how much it is.

Yes - I am trying my best to keep moving forward without injuring myself, which has happened a couple times already! I'm learning not to do that!! Thanks for the advice & encouragement & best wishes to you on continuing to your personal fitness goals!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    don't forget the anti shrugs people who can't do chinups!

SMOLOV is DONE! Made 160kgx3 (x9 sets) and got 5 reps on last set. VERY happy! Bring on PL comp this Saturday! :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n--x8-Xfh4o&list=UUg5G7qUcxNgCaJQhiIxr3sA&index=1&feature=plcp

That's awesome!

What's an anti-shrug? Google was not my friend.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Yes - I am trying my best to keep moving forward without injuring myself, which has happened a couple times already! I'm learning not to do that!! Thanks for the advice & encouragement & best wishes to you on continuing to your personal fitness goals!

It's taking me a while but I think I'm coming to grips with the fact I'm not going to progress as fast as I think I should. That's actually pretty liberating.

I think you should be very proud of your progress. Taking longer and doing it right is still faster than going fast and getting hurt and having to start over. Or - if you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I'm going to make a video about how to do chinups/pullups I think. I get asked this question a lot :tongue:

anti shrug: dead hang from bar, overhand grip, contract lats so that you raise up just a few inches.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I'm going to make a video about how to do chinups/pullups I think. I get asked this question a lot :tongue:

anti shrug: dead hang from bar, overhand grip, contract lats so that you raise up just a few inches.

Ah. So basically as far as I usually end up getting when I try to do a pull-up.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The day I manage a full pull up is the day I go play the lottery :)

I do "negative pullups" - jump as high as I can go, grab the bar, and lower myself down.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

hehe. It is the hardest bit of a pullup though which is why just training that bit helps a lot!

One of the girls that trains with me went from being able to do 0 pullups to 5 in 3 months doing that. She trains 2-3x a week.

Chinups from one set of 4 to 3 sets of 8 with 2.5kg added. It works :smile:

patience + persistence = progress
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Thanx chris. Gonna add these in.
  • sjohnny
    Options

hehe. It is the hardest bit of a pullup though which is why just training that bit helps a lot!

One of the girls that trains with me went from being able to do 0 pullups to 5 in 3 months doing that. She trains 2-3x a week.

Chinups from one set of 4 to 3 sets of 8 with 2.5kg added. It works :smile:

patience + persistence = progress

Right on. I guess I'll start doing them again. I've been doing them more like an inverted row with my feet on a bench but I haven't even done those in quite a while. Maybe a mix of both will get me doing the real ones.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    inverted rows are more for the upper back muscles like the rhomboids, rear delts rather than the lats which really work hard to get you out of the bottom for a pullup. Probably still be beneficial though.

I know for me as I do lots of pullups I can do just as many pullups as I can inverted rows because I don't do them as often (as I should).
  • sjohnny
    Options
    inverted rows are more for the upper back muscles like the rhomboids, rear delts rather than the lats which really work hard to get you out of the bottom for a pullup. Probably still be beneficial though.
    All that *kitten* needs help too so.......
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    New PR's I set last week:
    Squat--305x2 +5lb
    Bench--215x3 +15lb
    Deadlift--350x1 +25lb
    BB Row--200x2 +20lb
    Overhead Press--130x2 +5lb
    Rack Pulls--400x1 +25lb

Think I had a pretty good week! :laugh: