My husband and I do not diet together well.

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The only reason you should become vegan is because you want to. Being vegan doesn't automatically make you thin. It's an eating style not a diet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 12 pounds and the three weeks :)
    No oil, no salt and so on --- that is silly.
    Plan to eat the way that is going to work for you. Your husband will back off if the two of you stop talking about food so much.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Give up on the vegan diet. That would be enough to drive almost anyone mad....
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Did you force a way of life on him he doesn't need or want and constantly get mad when you don't succeed, thus causing him frustration when you don't make an attempt?
  • Bunnyswife
    Bunnyswife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to go completely vegan? A whole foods, plant based diet does not necessarily mean vegan, it just means that most of your foods should be. Think something around 80/20% (80% whole foods, 20% anything else.) I get how you want to be healthier, but it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Take baby steps. Start with one meal a day, and gradually expand it. You need to make changes you can stick with and that make you feel better, physically and mentally.

That is great, sensible advice. Thanks for the encouragement and the for reminder that this doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I can and will lose weight. I have lost 12 lbs already and I'm really proud of that. I understand why my husband thinks I'm going to fail, he's heard it many times before. I think I've made at least 4 solid attempts at losing weight in the 7 years we've been together. I never lasted more than a two weeks on any diet before giving up completely. The fact that it's been three and I still want to diet tells me I'm in it for the long haul this time. I just still don't know what that diet is going to look like yet. I just wish he'd have faith in me to do it! Since it's NOT life or death he should just be supportive and not mean. I have no one to blame but myself for my weight but it would sure be easier if I had a partner that was a little more empathetic.

Also note, my psoriasis is on my hands and feet, making exercise and food prep difficult. well, making everything difficult actually.

I'm starting to think a more CICO focus is more the way to go, especially to start out.

I'd love a dieting partner but I'm with my husband every day. He's the logical choice. And most of my friends are thin. The ones that are my size are definitely not willing to workout and diet with me. I feel like I'm stranded on an island!

It sounds like you need to have a very frank conversation with your dietitian AND your hubby....preferably when you are both not hungry! Be honest with him. He's spending cash on this diet that YOU wanted. From his point of view, he is sick of listening to your complaints (that's what girlfriends are for, btw) and just wants the freedom to eat what he wants. Stop blaming him for being "mean" and "non-supportive." (It sounds like whining to me.) Reschedule with your dietitian and work this out for the better. Celebrate your 12lb loss to a start of a new you. Your hubby doesn't have faith in you for the long haul? He's been with you for 7yrs & you've tried to lose weight for less than a handful of times and weren't successful. And now your fighting...over a diet....look at the big picture here. You aren't going to be 150lbs smaller in a few weeks or months (or whatever it is that you need to lose). So stop complaining to him about it, get back with your dietitian who you said you really like, adjust your choices of foods to eat, and focus on what you need to do.

I say this with all the virtual love and support I can give you, as one who has given love & support to a best friend IRL.

(btw, I've known plenty of people to lose significant weight who could not exercise at all. For them, it was all about calories and portion control.)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Gosh, this process does not have to be so over complicated. Why not eat what you already enjoy eating? Adhere to the MFP deficit and just do that? You do not have to exercise to do this.

I will add that your weight loss is "your" weight loss to bear...I get the husband and wife thing and doing it together!

For anyone who has a spouse, there has to be compromise and meeting in the middle. If not, a person has to do their own thing.. being blunt here, but it just that way and that simple.

This does not have to be difficult, it does not have to include misery, it does not have to include anxiety or loads of stress.. It starts with baby steps, even creating mini goals, the weight did not come on in a matter of months and it will not come of any faster by trying to fight against what needs to be done to accomplish weight loss.

Drop the vegan, work on adhering to the deficit and you two work on eating plans that fit both your lifestyles and time together!!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I tried to lose weight for 15 years with different diets. I lost weight but I would always quit and regain because they weren't sustainable for me. It sounds like you are doing an unsustainable diet.
    I have had the easiest and best success losing weight by just counting calories and eating all the foods I Iike so that is what I reccomend you do. Just log as accurately and stick to the calorie goal MFP gives you. Get enough protein. If you want to eat more meatless meals then do that but you do not have to go vegan to lose weight. You lost weight by eating less calories not by going vegan.
    My family has not changed the way they eat just because I need to lose weight. They have different calorie needs and preferences than me. I'm eating most of the same foods as them, just appropriate portion sizes for me. My plate often has more vegetables or I have a salad on the side. I find pre-logging my whole day to be pretty helpful to sticking to my calorie goal and meeting my other goals.
  • SWellz
    SWellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You both sound frustrated. If you both truly went from fast food to vegan for your health, then yeah, I can see him resenting if you cheat. But you don't know if that's what's bothering him until you ask him. Just talk to him! You can both get it out and then have some black bean tacos.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Sorry, let me clarify. He's a PA, so just a step down from MD. He's not some quack at a gym somewhere. I was referred to him by my PCP.

And yes, unfortunately my husband does have an "all or nothing" mentality. Drives me insane in times like these. Even the nutritionist said we don't have to cut out meat and dairy completely. He said to dramatically reduce it. So his ideal is probably somewhere around 5% meat and dairy. It's my husband that is the nut job in this situation.
    SWellz wrote: »
    You both sound frustrated. If you both truly went from fast food to vegan for your health, then yeah, I can see him resenting if you cheat. But you don't know if that's what's bothering him until you ask him. Just talk to him! You can both get it out and then have some black bean tacos.

I can agree. It is the other way around in my house but I do not make an issue about diets because at my age I really do not want to be single again. :)
  • willrun4pancakes
    willrun4pancakes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 60 lbs. My husband is tall and thin. I would never suggest to him that he needs to change his eating habits because of what I did to myself. I'm pretty sure we would both be miserable. We just make separate meals and do our own thing. It works for us.

Your weight loss efforts will have greater chance for success if you just start by eating the foods you like in smaller portions to hit yourcalorie target daily.
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You and your husband both sound horribly codependent. You should look into marriage counseling.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I didn't read everything, but my best advice is to stop talking about it. I have the most supportive partner honestly, he's incredibly helpful and is willing to go along with any changes I've suggested. But I can tell that my obsession over the scale and "-.6" of a pound down starts to bother him. Some big things I comment on but I never complain any more. When we sit down with huge salads and a small portion of noodles I don't whine and lament over what I miss, I celebrate a great choice.

I don't know you or your relationship but being on the same diet seems silly. Pick something sustainable that you can both do (idk like just eating less of the same foods....) that way he eats what he wants and you moderate your portion sizes to appropriate amounts.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    OP - are you using this app to weigh & log your food?
  • MindyBruno
    MindyBruno Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Have you tried light therapy for your psoriasis? My husband had severe psoriasis and did light therapy for about 9 months. It really cleared up his skin, no more outbreaks. He also does the injections for his psoriatic arthritis.
  • HackerTribe
    HackerTribe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband is a rough man. A very good man just rough around the edges if you will. He thinks he can motivate me by snarky comments. For example if I am over snacking he will make a comment like "haven't you had enough". If you tell my husband he can not do something he will do it and with perfection. I have tried to explain to him the negative feedback shuts me down. We are very different in that way. Sometimes in marriage communication really is key. Also understanding your spouse. You can not change him. You can change the way you receive his words and try to communicate to him that you would like only positive reinforcement and that you need grace with this diet and that you know yourself and you know an extreme change will cause you to fall back. It will be a process for you both. It's for my husband and I. But marriage is all about growing and being a better spouse no matter what your spouse says or does. I know this doesn't seem like much help but I promise it will get better!
  • HannahMCrain
    HannahMCrain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My husband is a rough man. A very good man just rough around the edges if you will. He thinks he can motivate me by snarky comments. For example if I am over snacking he will make a comment like "haven't you had enough". If you tell my husband he can not do something he will do it and with perfection. I have tried to explain to him the negative feedback shuts me down. We are very different in that way. Sometimes in marriage communication really is key. Also understanding your spouse. You can not change him. You can change the way you receive his words and try to communicate to him that you would like only positive reinforcement and that you need grace with this diet and that you know yourself and you know an extreme change will cause you to fall back. It will be a process for you both. It's for my husband and I. But marriage is all about growing and being a better spouse no matter what your spouse says or does. I know this doesn't seem like much help but I promise it will get better!

This is exactly the conversation we ended up having last night and your husband sounds EXACTLY like mine! I was explaining to him how unsustainable this diet is, and he disagrees. But whatever.

Also, I would like everyone to note that I did NOT force him into this at all. I just told him that I had a meeting with a nutritionist and he went with me and took his word as the gospel truth. Fine. We tried it. What is upsetting to him is me coming to my own conclusion about what is going to work for me (CICO). He thinks I'm making a mistake by straying from the diet at all. Maybe I am, but I know I won't do this forever.

And yes, I am now using this app religiously for food and exercise logging. I have been for almost a week and I like that I feel a lot more free with my food choices.
  • HannahMCrain
    Options
    MindyBruno wrote: »
    Have you tried light therapy for your psoriasis? My husband had severe psoriasis and did light therapy for about 9 months. It really cleared up his skin, no more outbreaks. He also does the injections for his psoriatic arthritis.

I have! And it worked, but my skin was changing color. Very odd. My dermatologist was stumped. So we just decided it wasn't for me.
  • HannahMCrain
    Options
    Also, I am not whining. If you think I am, kindly *kitten* off.

What started the fight was me texting him jokingly hey, I did something bad he's like what? I said I ate a cup noodle. And he flipped. In our relationship, we always tell each other when we do something "bad" jokingly (for example, buying a bunch of video games or sleeping in until noon or whatever).