Ladies what should a guy wear to the gym?

Options
Dropping 50 pounds in the last year I decided to get some new gym wear mainly for strength training. I am not trying to meet women at the gym or anything like that, but I would like to know what some of you ladies think is proper gym attire for men that won't make you roll your eyes. I want it to be functional and comfortable, but it would be nice if it also looked good.
Specifically, length and material of shorts, and just cotton t-shirt or some sort of performance fabric? As for shoes, I am kind of set on my Chuck Taylors.
Also, anything to avoid completely would be helpful in my shopping this weekend.
Thanks for your consideration.

Replies

• tayter_tot7
    tayter_tot7 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I'd say wear what's comfortable for you. Wear something that makes you inspired. For instance I usually wear superhero themed workout gear..I have no choice but to kill it if I have the punisher logo on my chest. lol As far as Chucks as long as they give you support why not. I know my feet just screamed ouch when you mentioned those lol... Fabric-wise performance dri-fit works best imo
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I'm going with wear what you like.

If you are going to the gym to meet women, then...well...I got nothin'.
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've rolled my eyes at anything a guy wears to the gym. Just be comfortable. Maybe just steer clear of short basketball shorts like from the 80's and you'll be good.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    kanye4.gif
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    A t-shirt and shorts. I'm not sure what to say other than that. Dress comfortably and functionally, meaning pick something that isn't going to ride up or twist or otherwise make you feel self conscious or unable to focus on whatever exercise you're doing.

My membership is at a college rec center. There are college kids as well as community members who go there. Most men seem to wear regular athletic shorts like these.

The rec center doesn't allow tank tops or sleeveless tops but if your gym does, I don't see anything wrong with them. Well, I personally don't really like tanks that are cut really low on the sides but that's my problem, not anybody else's if they like them. Just like I internally roll my eyes at the guys who wear heavy hooded sweatshirts and sweatpants while exercising indoors. I don't understand how they aren't roasting but, again, that's my hangup so who cares.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    T-shirt and shorts or sweats. Nothing too tight on your lower half, please.
  • NYRhockey00
    NYRhockey00 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    So no more assless chaps?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Clothes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Clothes. Beyond that, it's up to you.
  • 1CountryGirl05
    1CountryGirl05 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Whatever you are comfortable in ....
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    :D:D:D:D
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I am not going to meet women, I am happily married. In fact I would say I am trying to not be noticed for wearing something the other gym-goers will look at and laugh to themselves, or make them cringe.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Shorts and muscle or tee shirts. The length of your shorts is anything long enough that your friends can't pop out and say hello during a squat. Material is completely up to you. Probably cotton or performance wear. Fleece and corduroy I can't imagine would be very comfortable. Shoes are also up to you. I have a high arch, so Chucks make my feet hurt. I need shoes with an arched insole. I have seen guys wear chucks. I have also seen them without shoes at all, so no big deal. :wink:
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I like to wear matching Adidas outfits, because a professional athlete I know got a new sponsor and could no longer wear any other brand but Nike. He gave me his entire wardrobe!

Suddenly, I am a fan of Adidas!
    hehe - :D
    jiab81vczsnv.jpg7d3gnwpjallc.jpg1z6gquizxbid.jpg

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If people are rolling their eyes at what other people wear to the gym, they probably aren't working out that hard. Most people are oblivious to what others look like, are wearing, or how they are working out, UNLESS that person is trying to draw attention to themselves. And there truly are people that do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Why not just look at what others people are wearing...most are probably wearing shorts and a t shirt

As a guy, the only thing that really makes my eyes roll is guys wearing a tank/muscle shirt who are either ridiculously skinny or overweight...though it usually has more to do with their mannerisms.
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »

I am not going to meet women, I am happily married. In fact I would say I am trying to not be noticed for wearing something the other gym-goers will look at and laugh to themselves, or be disgusted.

I don't know how helpful this is but I would never be disgusted at someone wearing something they feel is comfortable at the gym. You're there to better yourself and that in itself is awesome. As long as your junk is safely tucked away and doesn't come flying out, you're good.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    banana hammock
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Pick something that you are comfortable with to work in and doesn't show too much skin (no *kitten* cracks!).

Honestly when I go to the gym, I listen to my music and concentrate on my workout. I don't notice the people around me at all (unless they are being *kitten* and hogging the squat box).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »

I am not going to meet women, I am happily married. In fact I would say I am trying to not be noticed for wearing something the other gym-goers will look at and laugh to themselves, or make them cringe.

Yeah, well - I don't get why you really care what other people think? As long as your manstuff and buttcrack are covered I don't think anyone is really going to even notice.