Milk

Options
2 percent milk is it really bad....never tried soy almond or vanilla...but I'm wanting a bowl of raisin bran!!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you have a question?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If you are purely interested in calories, probably your best bet is to go with Silk's 25 calorie cashew milk. Tastes fine to me in cereal, but all I really care about is that it is ice cold and thicker than water.

I'm not sure exactly what your concern is about 2% milk though. IIFYM and all.
  • myvinki2010
    myvinki2010 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Is 2 percent milk bad compared to skim,almond,soy,vanilla
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Bad for what?
    Tasting bad compared to whole milk? Yeah, kinda.
    Bad for your health? No.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    2 percent milk is it really bad....never tried soy almond or vanilla...but I'm wanting a bowl of raisin bran!!
    I drink either unpasteurized whole milk or coconut milk.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Whole milk is where its at, but 2% is what I usually drink. Soy was okay. Almond felt like I might as well drink water because it had almost no protein. (goes good in coffee, though). Coconut milk was good in coffee as well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

It has more calories but otherwise is not bad.
  • myvinki2010
    Options
    Thanks RW...I guess that's where I was going with this...New to mfp still learning
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

I like skim but rather drink it while I am losing weight. Just not worth the calories to me. And all the nut based milks taste like crap unless sweetened and at that point, it's fairly high in calories and really not worth it to me since there is little protein.
  • myvinki2010
    Options
    Thanks psulemon
  • myvinki2010
    Options
    Thanks everyone... :)
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I like Fairlife Fat Free milk--same calories as regular fat-free, but more protein. What is bad about 2%? Are you switching from whole? I had a hard time moving from whole milk to 2% because it was so much thinner. That was probably 20 years ago though & now I can't drink whole milk because it's too thick--like I'm drinking it after it's started to spoil & chunk up. It's all what you're used to. I don't care for the taste of any of the milk alternatives & protein is the one macro I pay attention to & they are generally very short on it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Thanks RW...I guess that's where I was going with this...New to mfp still learning

Oh, if you just wanted to know what we drink, I drink mostly almond milk. Occasionally soy.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    2% for me in smoothies, cereal or just to drink. Full fat for coffee, but I use less so the extra calories don't derail me. Anything under 2% just does not taste good to me. Of the nut milks, cashew is my favorite...
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I go for the unsweetened almond milk due to lactose issues but I like the taste. I would also go for quaker oats over raisin bran, lots of sugar in there.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I go for the unsweetened almond milk due to lactose issues but I like the taste. I would also go for quaker oats over raisin bran, lots of sugar in there.
    What wrong with the sugar in raisin bran?
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love Fairlife milk--it is filtered so that it is lactose free, lower in sugar and higher in protein. And I just love the taste of it. I have bought both the Skim and 2% and I like them both. If you like milk and want some, choose which you like and have it. Just log it in and work it into your plan.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't label foods as good or bad. They either fit your goals or they don't. If it has too many calories for me today or doesn't fit my goals that doesn't make it bad, it just isn't something I'm going to have right now. Also I like to look at my diet as a whole, not as each individual food. Does the food as a whole fit my goals? Then eat it, if not then don't.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I personally would not drink any "fake" milks. We drink Whole Milk in my house, we just don't go crazy, usually just one serving per day and then try to get calcium through other food choices as well.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've tried- full fat milk (best in coffee), 2% milk (ok for most thinks), skim milk (like dish water) ,almond and soy milk. Have also made almond milk and walnut milk- MUCH better than bought but a hassle more so with almond as you have to soak the nuts overnight and too popular (had to keep make it too often). So I've come full circle back to full cream milk and make it fit into my day.