Strangest things seen while out on a run...

Options

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    hmm.. car full of teenagers yelling "Run Forest, Run!" x37
    bunnies x583
    turtles x17
    birds x50,000
    that one musclar woman who could beat the crap out of me x1
    people walking dogs x264
    that nice man that let me drink from his hose (not THAT hose you pervert) x2
    the mugger who stabbed a guy right in front of me that I just made up x0
    that girl that I might have gone to high school with at a crosswalk but I wasn't sure and neither of us said anything x1
    the women who stopped her car for directions in a part of town I wasn't very familiar with so I accidentally sent her the wrong way x1s
    the snake that peed on me when I caught it x1

yeah... nothing very exciting on my runs... boring old suburbs....
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the strangest thing you'd see on a run in my neighbourhood. I have an amazing pair of running tights with unicorns on them, and recently dyed my hair pink.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The weirdest to me was probably a flock of 10-20 green parakeets in DFW. Turns out they've been around for years. Who knew?

Then there's the usual snakes migrating across the path - mostly water snakes, maybe a water moccasin or two. Armadillos, bats, owls (almost never see owls), swans, pelicans. Passed a skunk the night before last - also really unusual. They stay away from the common paths normally.

People fishing at the lake in the middle of the night with LEDs on their bobbers and the ends of their poles. I mean really? In a lake that's only 10-ish miles around with who knows what runoff getting concentrated in there? I can't imagine that what they catch tastes good.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    The weirdest to me was probably a flock of 10-20 green parakeets in DFW. Turns out they've been around for years. Who knew?

We see a bunch of those in Southern California and in the Bay area. Usually we see that same number (around 10-20) at one time. One time, though, about 50 of them came flying out of a tree, screeching. What a sight!

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I saw a guy doing obscene things to a newspaper dispenser while I was out for a walk in San Francisco. I thought he was having a seizure and called 911, then went to try to help him, whereupon he gasped that he didn't need help. Later, I saw him pass by, riding in the back of a police car. Sorry dude. You should really get your own newspaper dispenser and keep it in your room.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I was out, saw another girl who was running the other direction about 15 yards ahead of me. Out of NOWHERE a long black snake (~3-4 ft) comes out really fast and gets tangled up in the other girl's legs. I am not sure who was more surprised of the three of us. The girl jumped/screamed/ran and the snake wriggled free and then continued to slither across the road quickly and go into the brush. I checked and the other girl was okay (physically, I mean- emotionally, not so sure) and after a few moments in stunned silence, we went on with our runs (I crossed the road to her side to avoid the snake but really it had completely disappeared- it was completely terrified at this point I am sure).

Still kind of freaks me out to this day- and I only witnessed it. Lol.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    once on a run through our local park I passed my teenage daughter making out with some unknown boy......almost ran into a tree!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've not seen anything really unusual, I've seen deer, badgers and owls, a random lost stuffed toy horse. I suppose the most unusual thing I have seen on a run was someone getting knocked of their bicycle by a car, they were ok though. And an unusual thing to happen, someone threw an apple from their car at me, that hurt!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    the women who stopped her car for directions in a part of town I wasn't very familiar with so I accidentally sent her the wrong way x1s

I get asked for directions all the time when I run. I guess I just have that "girl next door" appearance, or people think I know my way around. I do usually know where to direct them, but I am really poor at actually giving directions so I figure half the time they get lost anyways.

Since people are mentioning rabbits, there is a hare I see on my runs a lot (I think he lives in this huge bush I run past). The first time I saw him, he was on the path and then sauntered off as I got closer, and just sat there staring at me and PEED. Like peed like he'd been holding it for hours. I assume it was some sort of territorial display. I have since named him and see him on my runs often. His coloring means he blends into dirt really easily so he will suddenly move as I am passing by and scare the crap out of me a lot of days.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    years ago, i was running with my dog up a smaller street in a house neighborhood in hollywood at 3 am when a man went running the other way wearing nothing but a watch, running shoes and socks. to say i was surprised is putting it mildly. he smiled and waved as we passed each other - i waved and thought "wtf?"
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    On a dark road an owl was on a 4' post at the side of the road. He took off at the last moment and was huge, scared the crap out of me.
    Was running down my street just before sunrise. I thought a large branch fell and hit me because my head moved forward. No branch, maybe someone threw something? When I got home my hat had claw holes in it and my head was bleeding. It was still dark and hoped it wasn't a bat. I told my wife I had rabies for a month, I got better.
  • obxsrfrgrl
    obxsrfrgrl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The strangest thing I saw was an entire herd of deer, I mean like 30 or so, just standing about 10 feet away giving me a death stare. I stood there for a few minutes thinking "please don't run me over" and then finally, slowly, edged away from them and then took off at a dead run. It. Was. Terrifying.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    What city do you all live where you are seeing coyotes? I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I see coyotes in my backyard (b4 I got a fence) all the time.
  • NYRhockey00
    NYRhockey00 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Wasnt running, but was taking a walk in my buddies neighborhood just in time to see two homeless fellas making out. That was an eye opener.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    What city do you all live where you are seeing coyotes? I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I see coyotes in my backyard (b4 I got a fence) all the time.

i live in los angeles, and we have coyotes and skunks and possums in places like hollywood and some where i live now near culver city, too.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, after all these stories, my little ferret sighting seems kinda tame.
  • Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Strangest thing I've ever seen is I stopped by a field to drink some water and there was a man on on his knees smelling something on the floor and when he saw me he jumped up and said 'Oh dropped my watch' Wtf made me laugh so much.
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    years ago, i was running with my dog up a smaller street in a house neighborhood in hollywood at 3 am when a man went running the other way wearing nothing but a watch, running shoes and socks. to say i was surprised is putting it mildly. he smiled and waved as we passed each other - i waved and thought "wtf?"

Maybe he was training for Bay to Breakers....I won't even mention what I saw in that crazy race!!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I saw some random pumpkins long after Christmas?

I used to run in the morning and saw a blood moon. That was pretty cool.
    I will say, running in the neighborhood really made me hate unleashed / stray dogs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Live wild turkeys running AFTER you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png