Most annoying things people say when your losing weight!!

Options

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I must be lucky too because I didn't/ don't get any kind of negative comments either. I did while back and only from one person and I set her straight right away. But if I did get any negative comments, they would get what they deserve. I don't mince my words, especially with people that doesn't deserve it.

Exactly! I think the reason I don't get silly or uninformed comments is because I don't let things slide that I don't like. Not to say I nitpick everything but I do speak my mind when necessary.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You are losing weight on purpose? You're not dying or something.....
  • sstout02
    sstout02 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    You are losing weight on purpose? You're not dying or something.....

Lol o gosh that's a bad one!!!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    MzManiak wrote: »
    osche731 wrote: »
    When average/thin people complain their fat to me...it's hurtful and discouraging.

That's your own insecurities. If they don't say anything about you, it has nothing to do with you. If a friend complains about getting grey hair, I don't take offense just because I have a bunch. If a friend complains about feeling so tired because of their kid, I don't feel offended and demean them just because I'm doing it with 3. We all have different levels of comfort and ideas of what our bodies should look like. If I want to lose weight, that's on me, and it wouldn't be right for anyone to tell me I'm being ridiculous, or roll their eyes, or get offended just because they are bigger than I am.

^^ Yes. Also, why is it discouraging to hear someone else is insecure about their body? They're not comparing themselves to you! They're not passing judgement on your body. If they're insecure then be a supportive friend to them.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    "Can you eat that?"
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    "Why are you trying again? You gained back what you lost before, so what's the point?"

As if I don't already struggle with those thoughts. Thanks so much for reminding me.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    "If we make it at home it's healthy." Babe...No...that's not how that works.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just take everything as a compliment. I got the "are you losing weight on purpose or sick" one and just started laughing. Fair concern, but I was really fat, of course it was on purpose. (Not totally true, to be fair -- I have an overweight friend who's lost a bunch of weight due to cancer treatment.) You don't need to lose any more weight, you can afford to indulge, how can you eat that much and not gain -- I just perceive all that as positives.

The only thing I don't like is being asked how much I lost (I'm not going to tell you), and grilled about what secret thing I did to lose the weight (no, I ate more mindfully, and less, and got really active). But even those I think are positives, since they mean I lost a lot.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    is that on your "diet"? me: I've told you A MILLION times I'm not on a diet...diets don't work, I've changed my lifestyle and I can eat anything I want :)
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    "If we make it at home it's healthy." Babe...No...that's not how that works.

Hahahaha!

giphy.gif
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When average/thin people complain their fat to me...it's hurtful and discouraging.

This is the worst! Some people just lack any kind of self awareness.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I hate when people comment on my food choices.

"I thought you were trying to lose weight?! You shouldn't eat that!"
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

I've always hated that.

Always.
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Had some family members tell me I was getting too small, I was 139 pounds at 5'3, not that small lol. I had one family member tell me that at the rate I was going that year I wouldn't need a halloween costume, I already looked like a skeleton and then when I bought my 1st treadmill I had a family member tell another family member "I wish she would just go ahead and weigh 2 pounds and be done with it!" A LOT of my family got really pissed when I started to lose weight the first time around, now since I've gained the weight back they've all lost some pounds and try to sound all happy about it to me .... makes me want to drop kick someone but I WILL NOT be like them. I refuse to be that kind of person.

But when I start losing again the 1st person in my family to say one thing about my weight ... I feel bad for them.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    "you only lost 10 lbs so far, I thought you would lose more since your so over weight"
    "we don't want to invite you out to dinner since your on a diet"
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to lose any weight, you're already skinnier than a lot of people". I'm not going to lower my standards for myself because other people are worse off. I want to be the best version of myself that I can be.

Seriously. From now on I'm just going to tell people that I'm 'eating strategically in order to achieve my personal goals' and leave it at that.

I was at a bridal shower and made the mistake of mentioning that I was watching my calories and didn't really want a cupcake (I wanted to save some calories so that I could at least have a sort of proper-ish dinner afterwards) and of course I got all the eye-rolls and 'oh please' looks. And then the Mother of the Bride brought over a plate of cupcakes and put one in front of me and then sat down, dammit.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Just today my very thing and fit co-worker. Are you done now you bought new clothes - Uhm no but the old ones were really too big I had to. Oh but must be hungry all the time - Uhm no if I was I would not have managed to keep this going for 2.5 years.
    She is lovely, really she is, but as she never had a struggle with weight in her life she really has a hard time understanding
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    "Wow, you eat a lot, how do you lose weight eating like that?"

I love hearing that. The correct answer is "Yeah. Don't you wish you could, too?"

Good one
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,998 Member
    Options
    cate320 wrote: »

This is the worst! Some people just lack any kind of self awareness.

That always bothered me too, and still does a little. But I have recently met a few people with eating disorders who really have a distorted view of what their body looks like, and I actually remember being a teen who was in the middle of the healthy weight range who always felt that I was the chubby girl in the crowd. Looking back I wasn't, but at the time I believed I was. When I got older and put on a lot of weight I really wished I had enjoyed being slim back then instead of always thinking I could look better. So I try to cut them a little slack now.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,998 Member
    Options
    I mostly get tired when people comment about what I can and can't eat. At Easter my mother in-law was packing up some food for my son to take back to college. He said no on the cake and she said "well I know mom can't have any" . I told her I could have some, I just didn't want to take it home with me because I had already had candy for dessert that day. I can eat anything I want, I just chose not to eat things that put me over my calorie goal. And sometimes I chose not to have things even if they fit because they don't help me reached my goals (like protien) or I know that I'll feel hungry later and not have any calories left for the day. And my husband has already asked me more than once if I'm sure I need to lose more because he can't see where I have room to lose any from. (I am still overweight and about 20 lbs from goal and most of it is sitting on my stomach). But most of the comments I get are positive.