Replies

• Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Everyone.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on WW and considering quitting as well. I've lost 20 lbs doing WW alone and then found this site and started doing both. I'm going to give this site a month just to see how well I do and then I may quit WW. I've done it off and on for many years though.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    was rebelling against it because I could no longer eat what I wanted without it being off the charts in points value.

Well, WW "points" are mostly based on calories, so MFP (which is also based in calories) most likely won't be much different for you.

It's completely different now low carbing non processed foods they're trying to teach people to eat as natural as possible 'clean' or you'll use all your points up :(
  • ahumanpug
    ahumanpug Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I cancelled because I absolutely loathe Oprah. Her smug and horrible face started showing up on every piece of material they handed out.

Well, that and the fact that from May 2015 - February 2016 I had spent $500 to lose 9 lbs. Boo.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    ahumanpug wrote: »
    I cancelled because I absolutely loathe Oprah. Her smug and horrible face started showing up on every piece of material they handed out.

Well, that and the fact that from May 2015 - February 2016 I had spent $500 to lose 9 lbs. Boo.

Anyone notice that Oprah isn't on the new commercials?? Guess she ate too much bread lol
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had weight watchers a long time ago. I didnt like the points system much. It was expensive and I didn't lose any weight on it. I canceled after 3 months.
  • avonarlene86
    avonarlene86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was doing WW and did really well on the ProPoints system but like many, found the new Smart Points system far too restrictive. I qork 12hr days in an office, I love that I can have an oreo or curly wurly with my cup of tea in the afternoon and not be "punished" for it, which is what was happening on WW xx
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've done WW before but found it was just not sustainable - fine if you want to live on green salad and carrots, otherwise just not enough of what I want to fill me up. I've lost weight and kept it off (mostly) through logging here, and I can make good choices - or bad ones - but they are based on what works for me. And before I take that extra biscuit I think about the impact and either take it - and work it off - or not. With WW I was going to be early because I didn't have any points left!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    was rebelling against it because I could no longer eat what I wanted without it being off the charts in points value.

Well, WW "points" are mostly based on calories, so MFP (which is also based in calories) most likely won't be much different for you.

Actually, the new points system is extremely restrictive in comparison to simply counting calories. I did it for a few weeks after the transition from PointsPlus and found it extremely difficult to get by, whereas I had no issue before. Now that I'm calorie counting, I feel like I'm eating more than I ever have while still losing weight. It must be the way the new points system penalizes for foods high in fat and carbohydrates, or too low points targets, or the silly notion that you earn ridiculously high amounts of points for exercise yet are discouraged from eating any of them.

heh, you ARE eating more than ever. My mom has done WW for YEARS off and on; her last go-around was about 1.5 years ago. I was appalled at how few calories she was eating; she was oblivious because her brain doesn't "math" well (mine doesn't either haha, but better than hers does). So I Googled and found the formula to convert points to calories... at 58 years of age, 300 pounds and 5'8" tall, her points allowance worked out to 1084 calories a day. Can you even imagine?!! (well I guess you probably can). I was so sad and angry for her. No wonder she was always "failing" and falling away from the plan. The sh**ty part was the continual self-flagellation for it. "*I* am a failure. The program works if you DO it, *I* am just not good/smart/dedicated enough."
  • KnittingSoo
    KnittingSoo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised your mom was on such a low points value. The lowest WW points was 26 per day (about 1040 calories), plus 49 points for the week (to be spread out however you like) (280 per day if you spread them out evenly) plus all the fruit/veg per day (I'd say another 250 calories for that) so the minimum points were 1320 calories PLUS fruit and veg. And people on 26 points generally had little weight to lose.

When I was 300 pounds, 5'4" and 52 years old I was on more than 40 points per day (so 1600ish) PLUS the weeklies and the fruit and veg - so around 1800-2000 per day.

It worked brilliantly for me. I swapped to a calorie counting site (not MFP - a paid for site with a much better database) only because it was cheaper. I miss the flexibility of the weekly points and feeling unrestricted when eating fruit and veg. (The recommendation is to eat fruit and veg to help you feel satisfied and bulk out meals - not to stuff yourself with mango.)
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    I've done WW before but found it was just not sustainable - fine if you want to live on green salad and carrots, otherwise just not enough of what I want to fill me up. I've lost weight and kept it off (mostly) through logging here, and I can make good choices - or bad ones - but they are based on what works for me. And before I take that extra biscuit I think about the impact and either take it - and work it off - or not. With WW I was going to be early because I didn't have any points left!

You can live on ww it just stears you away from sugar and processed foods