KETO LCHF RESULTS/ NEW START

nykeia17
nykeia17 Posts: 1 Member
Anyone been doing the keto diet and have any results or would like to add me so i can scope out some of your meals? Starting keto Sunday and looking froward to the new adventure!! Reach out?!?

Replies

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    We have a group, the LCHF forum, plenty of people to help and support!
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    nykeia17 wrote: »
    Anyone been doing the keto diet and have any results or would like to add me so i can scope out some of your meals? Starting keto Sunday and looking froward to the new adventure!! Reach out?!?

Can I ask why, specifically, you're choosing to eat a keto diet? I've been eating this way for a little over two months now and I'm pleased with the benefits I've experienced.
  • rnicoledrew
    rnicoledrew Posts: 2 Member
    I'm new too, still researching the process. It does not make sense to me yet. Any recommendations?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited April 2016
    @nykeia17 I have been eating this way by accident when I cut out sugar and all forms of all grains 1.5 years ago. After I found MFP forums (welcome by the way) I learned I was doing LCHF. Since it cut my pain in the first 30 days and still is managing my pain well for all of this time I just keep doing it since I have no cravings after the first two weeks of eating this way. One other side effect is my weight over time dropped to 200 down from 250 for the first time in 22 years and has remained there for the past 12 months eating about 2500 calories a day with no hunger.

It might not work for you but there has not been any downside to eating this way in my personal experience. I did get most of my training from the MFP group at:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • drwilseyjr
    I'm new too, still researching the process. It does not make sense to me yet. Any recommendations?

What, specifically, doesn't make sense? I'd be happy to answer any questions.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    I agree with the pain thing.. I suffered badly from headaches, back and knee pain.. tried Whole30 first to see what it was all about and my pain eased amazingly within about 3 weeks.. I am now going the Atkins way as (strangely?!) found Whole30 a little restrictive in certain elements.. I have lost 5lb in a week which is pretty good going for not feeling hungry!
  • mallory71
    mallory71 Posts: 7 Member
    I'll friend you! I'm new to the low carb lifestyle and am still finding my way. I stay under 120 carbs and 15 sugars a day, but I'm thinking about trying to go even lower. I got my guide from The Belly Fat Cure book, but from what I've been reading on here, a lot of people are MUCH lower!
  • BelleCakes2018
    edited April 2016
    I am on very low carbs.. 20 carbs per day (net) HIGH fat and mod protein.. I wanted to get into ketosis to drop some serious weight fast.. and actually the 20g carb thing isn't soooo bad. However I know you can get into Ketosis from eating 50g carbs per day. Depends how much you want to lose and how quick!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    I friended you :) . I've been LCHF (and breastfeeding) since February 1, I'm down 37lbs so far. Its seriously the easiest thing, you'll do great with it! There are also a few great LCHF and keto communities on facebook.

ugu1nktxbqk6.jpg
  • drwilseyjr
    mallory71 wrote: »
    I'll friend you! I'm new to the low carb lifestyle and am still finding my way. I stay under 120 carbs and 15 sugars a day, but I'm thinking about trying to go even lower. I got my guide from The Belly Fat Cure book, but from what I've been reading on here, a lot of people are MUCH lower!

@mallory71 If your goal is get your body into a state of ketosis, you're going to need to drop your carbs to under 70g net, 50g optimal.
  • drwilseyjr
    I am on very low carbs.. 20 carbs per day (net) HIGH fat and mod protein.. I wanted to get into ketosis to drop some serious weight fast.. and actually the 20g carb thing isn't soooo bad. However I know you can get into Ketosis from eating 50g carbs per day. Depends how much you want to lose and how quick!

Getting into ketosis will not help you lose weight any faster than a normal caloric deficit. There is an initial loss of retained water weight ( I dropped about 10-12 lbs the first three days ), but after that, you still need to adhere to CICO. You still need to eat at a deficit to lose weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Yeah, you need to eat to lose weight to be able to calculate a deficit.
  • BelleCakes2018
    [/quote]Getting into ketosis will not help you lose weight any faster than a normal caloric deficit. There is an initial loss of retained water weight ( I dropped about 10-12 lbs the first three days ), but after that, you still need to adhere to CICO. You still need to eat at a deficit to lose weight.[/quote]

Yeah I am in a cal deficit - but any weight lost on the scales make me feel a whole lot better (even water weight) I suffer a lot from bloat so it helps me a lot to be in ketosis and lose it quickly. I am in a moderate deficit - I don't want to drastically cut cals until I know what weight loss I am achieving each week where I am.. then I will cut it accordingly...however the 20g carbs isn't that hard to achieve..apart from onions - lol I do like an onion or 2!
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    drwilseyjr wrote: »

Getting into ketosis will not help you lose weight any faster than a normal caloric deficit. There is an initial loss of retained water weight ( I dropped about 10-12 lbs the first three days ), but after that, you still need to adhere to CICO. You still need to eat at a deficit to lose weight.

I've been keto for 3 yrs now. Calorie counting is not essential, carb counting is. Most people find (myself included) that you can eat to satisfaction and only count carbs. The diet is very satisfying. No going to bed hungry or white knuckling your weight loss like a standard CICO based weight loss diet!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Yeah, you need to eat to lose weight to be able to calculate a deficit.

That is a fact cut but one does not have to necessary cut calories and/or exercise more to do so . :)
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr wrote: »

I've been keto for 3 yrs now. Calorie counting is not essential, carb counting is. Most people find (myself included) that you can eat to satisfaction and only count carbs. The diet is very satisfying. No going to bed hungry or white knuckling your weight loss like a standard CICO based weight loss diet!

I eat a keto diet. I know how it works. If you overeat on a keto diet, it's no different than overeating on a carb-rich diet.