Rant about the Ranting of Ranters...!?

Options

Replies

• _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was going to post something really obnoxious using my big words like "henceforth, therefore, and in conclusion", but then decided against it!

How about, does it matter how someone misspells or uses incorrect grammar when they're looking for advice and support?
    No it does not.

Last time I checked this is MFP, not Harvard, so get over it!:laugh:
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I would be rather annoyed if someone was correcting my grammer and not focusing on the topic of my post. This is not a college writing course, this is a website where you get support to lose weight. Not get picked apart by more peers. How disgusting.
    You spelled grammar wrong.

JUST KIDDING!! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't care about grammar and spelling so much if it's something only an English major or someone else who is very particular about proper language usage would get upset about. But I just can't take people seriously when they don't know the difference between "loose" and "lose." Maybe the problem stems from English just being a very illogical language (e.g. "choose" is pronounced like "lose," rather than "loose"), but I just think these are things we learn as children. By the time you're an adult, you ought to have it down.

This is why I tend to laugh when people say "If you want to live in the U.S., you ought to have to learn to speak English." I agree with that sentiment, but most of the people who live here can't speak proper English, so we'd have to kick a whole lot of people out if we wanted to make that a law.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    Nothing wrong with trying to educate people. Are you saying it's OK to breed ignorance?

You don't necessarily need to nitpick someone's grammar at the detriment of the topic at hand, but I have never had an issue with people pointing out inacuracies in my posts.

P.S. I assume at least part of this is directed toward the muscle/fat post earlier today. I saw no problem with that thread (in fact I posted in it that I rather enjoyed it). The OP didnt hijack anyone elses topic to make his point, and for the most part the responses were civil.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I love myself, but in 12 days I go see my girlfriend and she can help.
  • crazymama2two
    Options

you have issues. therefore, i love you.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! :laugh: :tongue:

you have issues. therefore, i love you.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with trying to educate people. Are you saying it's OK to breed ignorance?

You don't necessarily need to nitpick someone's grammar at the detriment of the topic at hand, but I have never had an issue with people pointing out inacuracies in my posts.

P.S. I assume at least part of this is directed toward the muscle/fat post earlier today. I saw no problem with that thread (in fact I posted in it that I rather enjoyed it). The OP didnt hijack anyone elses topic to make his point, and for the most part the responses were civil.

As I said, "Feel free to correct them if you wish, but a general rant about the subject, isn't quite necessary."

I'm not saying 'breed ignorance' at all. :laugh:

Just for those of us that have been on this site for years, know that these sort of 'rant' threads are a daily occurance, on the very same subject...over....and over........and over. I'm just saying, we all know what the posters actually mean, so sure point out their mistake to them and then move on to responding to their actual post. No need to keep repeating the same information we all know.

Just noticing a lot of 'OMG I hate when people do this' type threads. That's all. And I know my additional rant thread isn't helping, but I wanted to be cool like all the other kids. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Edited...I wrote 'this' instead of 'these'. See my fingers go faster than my brain. :tongue:
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options

LMAO!! That caught me off guard. Best reply!
  • RachVR6
    Options

:laugh:
  • Dcgfeller
    Options
    Just for those of us that have been on this site for years, know that these sort of 'rant' threads are a daily occurance, on the very same subject...over....and over........and over.

Theres also a million posts every day about "I went down a pant size," or "I am stuck at a plateau" or "Should I eat my exercise calories?" Should all of these be nuked too? I have only been here for a month and I am noticing this. When an entire community is focused on a fairly narrow topic in the grand scheme of things, eventually it is going to run out of "new" things to discuss. Either the same information will be rehashed forever (as it is), or the forum will die.

By the way, I am not trying to be argumentative or anything, I just enjoy a good discussion.
  • mrsclc
    mrsclc Posts: 73
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS POST!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!!! :happy:
  • RachVR6
    Options
    Theres also a million posts every day about "I went down a pant size," or "I am stuck at a plateau" or "Should I eat my exercise calories?" Should all of these be nuked too? I have only been here for a month and I am noticing this. When an entire community is focused on a fairly narrow topic in the grand scheme of things, eventually it is going to run out of "new" things to discuss. Either the same information will be rehashed forever (as it is), or the forum will die.

By the way, I am not trying to be argumentative or anything, I just enjoy a good discussion.

Touché. :laugh:

Well at least all of those posts are related to weight loss. Those I don't mind so much, because people are new at this. We all come here at different points in our journeys looking for information on the subject, or ways to deal with certain struggles. I DO however wish people would make more use of the 'Search' option, but I understand that it still isn't the easiest to use. I would like to see it give you an option of searching just Topic titles.

That's also probably due to the whole world of forums being new to a lot of users. It can be a bit overwhelming trying to search for a thread or filtering through all the ones that are the same topic as yours, but are filled with useless replies.
  • crazymama2two
    Options

Well at least all of those posts are related to weight loss. Those I don't mind so much, because people are new at this. We all come here at different points in our journeys looking for information on the subject, or ways to deal with certain struggles. I DO however wish people would make more use of the 'Search' option, but I understand that it still isn't the easiest to use. I would like to see it give you an option of searching just Topic titles.

That's also probably due to the whole world of forums being new to a lot of users. It can be a bit overwhelming trying to search for a thread or filterin

through all the ones that are the same topic as yours, but are filled with useless replies.

you said journey. im gonna hurl :) im teasing. this just went in line with the other post about sayings that people hate :) im with you sistah :)
  • Dcgfeller
    Options

That's also probably due to the whole world of forums being new to a lot of users. It can be a bit overwhelming trying to search for a thread or filtering through all the ones that are the same topic as yours, but are filled with useless replies.

Yeah, I think they need to make a lot better use of stickies too. I am shocked that there is no before/after pic sticky in the success forums, and I posted to that regard the other day...didn't seem to catch any mod/admin attention though.

The same could be said for informational topics. Get a sticky at the top of each subforum with useful posts linked. It's nuts that a member has to make a site called http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/ instead of just pointing someone to the stickies lol.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    ***WARNING: I have taken English classes. But as every writer knows. You cannot always see your mistakes. So beware grammar mistakes and punctuational errors may follow.***

First wanted to say....I have wanted to say this forever! Thank you! :flowerforyou:

I used to post things and a lot of people were like....."excuse me you forgot the , after cheese and you spelt tomorrow wrong". Then they started degrading me personally just for how I said something. Really people? Believe me it irritates the h*ll outta me when I see some mistakes. But like it has been stated, this is not English class. We are not doing peer reviews on each others essays. So taka chill pill and maybe answer their question!! My thing is like many have said....its one thing if you correct because you don't quite understand what they said but.....if you are able to understand it and then have the ablitlty to correct them.....they have obviously used the English language somewhat properly!
  • Dcgfeller
    Options
    ***WARNING: I have taken English classes. But as every writer knows. You cannot always see your mistakes. So beware grammar mistakes and punctuational errors may follow.***

First wanted to say....I have wanted to say this forever! Thank you! :flowerforyou:

I used to post things and a lot of people were like....."excuse me you forgot the , after cheese and you spelt tomorrow wrong". Then they started degrading me personally just for how I said something. Really people? Believe me it irritates the h*ll outta me when I see some mistakes. But like it has been stated, this is not English class. We are not doing peer reviews on each others essays. So taka chill pill and maybe answer their question!! My thing is like many have said....its one thing if you correct because you don't quite understand what they said but.....if you are able to understand it and then have the ablitlty to correct them.....they have obviously used the English language somewhat properly!
    I used to post things and a lot of people were like....."excuse me you forgot the , after cheese and you spelt tomorrow wrong".
    "excuse me you forgot the , after cheese and you spelt tomorrow wrong".
    spelt tomorrow wrong".
    spelt

:bigsmile:

Don't hate me ><
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options

I used to post things and a lot of people were like....."excuse me you forgot the , after cheese and you spelt tomorrow wrong".
    "excuse me you forgot the , after cheese and you spelt tomorrow wrong".
    spelt tomorrow wrong".
    spelt

:bigsmile:

Don't hate me ><

Bahaha hey I'm with you. One can always use a good debate!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree with this post. Loose v. lose annoys me the most, but I try to remind myself that not everyone had the same access to education and parental support for learning that I had. In the long run, having good grammar is very low on what qualities I look for in a good person.

And I plan on being a high school history or English teacher, and currently work for a magazine, so I'm no stranger to the need for good grammar. But this is a message board, not a college, not a job interview, and not a publication, so unless something is pretty egregious, all these grammar rants seem misplaced.